I need help with a binding mistake

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I have created a problem here. The body is quarter sawn cherry and the binding is quarter sawn maple. From the photos you can see the maple binding not completely seated about an inch & a half shy of the butt joint. I used Locite brand super glue as the adhesive. I applied the glue from the top side only in this area. Would you suggest?

1) Use a heat gun on the binding and expect the glue to loosen? Then re-position and glue in proper position.
2) Should I make a tapered strip of maple and fill the gap?
3) Rout the binding off and start again?

I appreciate the advice. This is my twelfth ukulele but only second attempt at binding.
Thanks
PT-7 31dec13 Top.jpgPT-7 31dec13 Bindng gap.jpgPT-7 binding gap 2.jpg

I'd pick option number 3 .."Practice makes perfect" :) and all that malarkey.

I've tried to heat and push binding gaps into place..never worked well for me :(

I'd use a pipette to squirt some acetone into the gap to loosen the binding in that area. The CA should let go and the binding should separate from the body cleanly with a light tug. Let dry thoroughly, reglue, and install a tail graft to hide the gap between binding strips.

Acetone worked. I have peeled back to where it fits rights. I plan to clean up the residue and carry on. Thanks for the help.

I would suggest starting at the butt next time

When using ca for binding, don't go immediately flooding the joint with glue. I recommend to "spot tack" the binding with a drop of medium ca every couple of inches (think of spot welding). When you are happy with the joinery of all your binding strips then you can wick in thin ca for good penetration. That way you can easily reverse any mistakes you may have overlooked.

I am finding the residue after loosening the super glue is mess. I will rout it off as originally suggested by Ken and start again. I used two pieces for the binding so I could bend it with my side bender. How do you folks bend maple for binding?

Andrew- I received my maple from David as well. Very nice material.

Maple is fairly easy to bend. Binding is usually installed in two pieces and most of us use the side bender to bend them, so you did fine. You were also well advised by Ken to re-route the channel and begin again. As you've found out, working with ca isn't for the faint hearted and light colored woods are very unforgiving.

Also beware !!!!....I've found when a build starts to go wrong like this..it seems to go even further adrift later on....and it eventually ends up on the fire:mad:.....As Chuck once said "ukes behave like children" and now and again you get a naughty one.:) ..Good luck and a Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Ignorance isn't bliss - what is CA?
Thanks.

Also beware !!!!....I've found when a build starts to go wrong like this..it seems to go even further adrift later on....and it eventually ends up on the fire:mad:.....As Chuck once said "ukes behave like children" and now and again you get a naughty one.:) ..Good luck and a Happy New Year.

So true. And you often know as soon as they are conceived. When I get off to a bad start with an uke I'll put it aside and begin again. Can't really do that with kids though I guess.
BTW, Ken, I'm missing the Winter pics this year.

Ignorance isn't bliss - what is CA?
Thanks.

Sorry, I often take short cuts with words I can neither pronounce nor spell. CA glue is glue sold only for use in California. ;)
No, seriously, Ca glue is Cyanoacrylate aka super glue, Krazy glue, etc. It comes in various viscosities, even different colors, and is usually used with an accelerant. Some are better than others. I get mine from CPH International.

Sorry, I often take short cuts with words I can neither pronounce nor spell. CA glue is glue sold only for use in California. ;)
No, seriously, Ca glue is Cyanoacrylate aka super glue, Krazy glue, etc. It comes in various viscosities, even different colors, and is usually used with an accelerant. Some are better than others. I get mine from CPH International.

Now that is funny!
You can't even get a good gas can in California anymore.....BUT you can still get CA glue

Top Bottom