Savarez uke vs. classical guitar singles

Caspyr

Reaction score
I want to try some Savarez strings on my MB.

Are the Savarez tenor uke sets the same as the individual classical strings that folks were buying as singles?

No, the 150R set has two strings in a different diameter. The 150R set is A.020/E.027/C.033/G.022, the Alliance individuals usually were A.024/E.027/C.033/G.024.

I have not tried the 150R set as of yet, but do use the Alliance singles.

I've tried both singles and the sets. I love these strings on my ukes. In fact, I now have Savarez strings on all of my instruments except the Laughlin soprano. The classical guitar singles that people had been recommending were the Savarez Alliance 540R series trebles, using the 541R (0.0244") for both the 1st and 4th string. These are just fine, but I actually prefer the diameters/tension of the 150R set on my Moore Bettah tenor. As Hammer40 said, the 2nd and 3rd strings are the same, but the 1st and 4th are significantly different diameter/tension. Still, you can easily put together a set of Alliance singles with the same diameters as the 150R set at Strings By Mail, as they have just about every diameter you can imagine, labeled as Alliance KF:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...liance-kf-carbon-602/alliance-kf-1-meter-460/

Savarez also has the 140R set intended for soprano/concert. It's actually a little closer in diameter/tension to the 540R series set.

I don't think you can go wrong either way here, but my recommendation is to go with the diameters in the sets, as opposed to the 540R series. Whether you make your own sets from singles or just buy the ukulele sets is up to you. I tinkered around with singles for a while, trying to dial in the perfect combination, but at the end of the day, I have opted for the ukulele sets for convenience. I really only buy singles if I need a single string due to a mishap or something like switching from low to high G. Probably could save a few bucks if I made my own sets, especially with the 2 meter lengths, but you can get the Savarez uke strings from Elderly now, and I order other items from them frequently enough so I just add strings to my order.

Good luck!

-Steve

I also use the single Savarez' Alliance strings on almost all of my ukes, including my two MB's. But instead of using the 541R for both my 1st and 4th strings as Steve does, I use the KF 57 for my reentrant G's. I use the wound Savarez Cantiga now for my low G, where I used their Corum wounds before they were discontinued.

Top Bottom