Happy New Year! Happy New Uke Day

mketom

Reaction score
Well I finally finished No. 7 in time for the New Year. I was inspired by fellow Wisconsinite FinkDaddy's tapa patterns on a recent uke (Thanks Fred) and as always, by Chuck Moore, with his recent all-wood tapa inlay.

This soprano was made from some rather plain looking light Koa that really surprised me after lacquering. The curls have a really nice 3D look. The neck is Spanish cedar, fret board and headstock are Ebony, the inlay is Koa, Padauk and black sand. Sounds nice too.

Have a safe and prosperous New Year!

no7a.jpgno7b.jpgno7c.jpgno7d.jpgno7e.jpg

Thanks Chuck. The black stripes and the black mano teeth are sand. The Koa and Padauk were easy enough to cut with an xacto knife but the Ebony, not so easy, so I filled those areas with sand but could just as well used some ebony dust.

Once again I have tremendous respect for your finishing skills, and that of others who do high gloss lacquer. I spent more time on the lacquer finish than actual wood work. I guess after a hundred ukes or so I'll get better at this part.

Gorgeous. Isn't "rather plain looking light koa" any more....looks like fancy curly koa to me. A very classy looking uke. Congrats.

Thanks for the kind comments! The frets are .063 N/S from Luthiers Merchantile, meant for mandolins.

Top Bottom