SF Bay Area shopping?

misterbee

Reaction score
I am in the Bay Area for a few days, and the wife wants to go Uke shopping. Anyone have suggestions for places that have a lot of Ukes to try out?

Thanks....

Aha, so that's where you went! :)

Aloha Warehouse in Japantown SF, Ukulele Source in Japantown San Jose, Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto. If you make it to the latter, hit Asian Box for lunch - fits right in with M's dietary needs.

Great suggestions. Aloha Warehouse sells a spectrum of ukuleles and is the only San Francisco store that sells Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a ukuleles. If you go to Aloha Warehouse, let the owner, Edgar, know that you're a serious ukulele player. Tell him what ukulele(s) you have, etc. San Francisco Japantown gets a lot of tourists who want to just to play around, and he worries that they might not know how to handle his higher-end ukes. Edgar is very helpful but even moreso, I think, when you talk story with him about ukes. Sometimes he likes it when people who know me say "hi" to him from me (Mark/mds0725 on UU).

If you get to the East Bay, Music Works in El Cerrito has a small selection of higher-end ukes and the owner is very nice. I bought my first ukulele (a Kala solid mahogany concert) there.

Last edited:
I'll add Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz if you are heading down that way.

You certainly chose a good time to come, weather-wise. In the 34 years we've lived here, I don't remember any Jan.1 where the temp was 72 degrees.

Top Bottom