sealed gear tuners?

little_lanikai

Reaction score
hello everyone, I just had a question.
Ok so my first uke was a lankai soprano, which came with gear tuners.
Then my next uke was a fluke, which came with friction peg tuners.

And I looked online and saw sealed geared tuners, but they had screws in them. Whats the point of the screw if they already have gears?:confused:

My question is: What's the difference between friction peg tuners and sealed gear tuners then? Besides obviously the gears. :confused:

Are the gear tuners any easier, because I like them a lot better than the friction peg tuners and wanted to make sure my next uke comes with gear tuners, i don't like the friction pegs.

--Thanks for the help! I love this site so much! All you guys are awesome!:nana:

The screw just holds the tuner button on. You probably won't have to tighten that screw.
Friction tuners take a little practice, but some people hate them even after they've mastered them. Geared tuners are considerably easier, because they don't slip often or respond to extremely subtle changes. There's not much difference between the sealed or exposed gear type, as far as I know.

thanks! :) your insight is really helpful! I have grown to dislike the friction-peg tuners, gears are just a lot easier for me.

Top Bottom