Living Water or PHD?

niwenomian

Reaction score
I've gone on a bit of a string buyer bender, trying to find the set that makes my kamaka soprano sing the sweetest. PHD, living water, fremont, Aquila, ordered one of each.

I hadn't considered the mental gridlock that would occur when
Both the PHDs and Living Waters showed up on the same day.

Any of you brave souls willing to offer up a suggestion as to which set should go on first? Living Waters or PHDs? Flip a coin?

Thanks!

Nick

I like, and use, both. I prefer the low g PhD on my KoAloha and the low g Living Water on my Kanilea. I currently have Living Water on my Kamaka but have never tried PhD on it because I keep that one high g and I only have low g PhD strings.

I wish I could be specific and quantify why I prefer each brand of string on a different uke but can't. I also can't say which I would choose if I could only have one. But they are both great strings - I would try the uke with each of them.

Thanks Wicked! I have both sets right here in front of me. I am just having trouble with...Which one first?

Which ones do you think you will like least? I put those on first and then barely give them a fair trial before I move on to the others. I get in a hurry. I probably ought to do just the opposite.

Not really fair. They are both great. If you want me to decide on which, and they are reentrant for your soprano.
Give the living waters a shot. When they fray put on the PhDs. Then figure out which you like better and order another set or two. Try some Oasis on it sometime too. Just trying to feed the disease.:D

Flip a coin, I have played both and they have a similar feel and sound.
Your fingers and ears may tell you differently.

Yeah ... got to be a coin flip.

I guess I would try PhD first, only because (for me anyway) they are easier to get since it does not entail overseas shipping time. PhD strings get to me in a couple of days so they are more replaceable for me.

I would recommend to get a set of Martin M600's and put them on first...;-D

The Living Waters won the coin flip and I put them on last night. Wow! Clear and consistent, with even tone from string to string. No buzzing, great intonation. I see why some folks rave about these.

If I pull them off after a couple of weeks in order to try other strings, could I put them back on later? Anything I need to know about doing so?

Appreciate the suggestions for the M600 strings, I will add them to the list of strings to try (with South Coast and Oasis).

Nick

Top Bottom