I'm an idiot

Habanera Hal

Reaction score
I finally got back to work on my fourth tenor build. Everything was going great. Got the sides and kerfing glued up, everything level and square. Decided, "I think I'll try adding a sound port." Measured it all up, cut a caul to use to block and support the side from cracking while drilling a 1" hole with a Forstner bit. Here's how it came out:
Idiot.jpg

I PUT IT ON THE WRONG #$%*@ SIDE!!!!
:wallbash:

(sigh) I guess I just made my first left-handed uke..................

Hal,
I applaud your honesty! I'm a Cabinetmaker/Furnituremaker; and I could probably build a small cottage with the material I wasted on similar mistakes.
Absolutely find a left-handed player. (I'm left-handed, but am learning the uke right-handed; feels better fretting with my strong hand).

I'll 'hoist one' in honor of more sawdust! Cheers.

Well Hal, you are gonna have to get in line for that title and I'm right in there for the running. :D We get in a B.A.H. and make mistakes.
You can always mic that side, LOL

I feel your pain. There are many trades that present the same issue. In my youth, I worked as a carpet layer and measured rooms right-side up and cut carpet right-side down - most of the time. My dad, a cabinetmaker in the 50-60's, said there are two kinds of craftsman - one who doesn't make mistakes and one who can hide his mistakes. Sometime, somewhere, somebody will want that 'uke.

You're not alone, my friend. I do mine after the box is closed......If not, find some obvious way to mark the correct side...BIG BLACK FELT pen small circle or something. I'll bet you never do that again. Who hasn't bent sides 'wrong way'...? all part of the journey. Custom 'leftie' ukulele w/soundport!!! Looks great.

I showed my screwup to my wife and she asked, "Why not just put another port on the other side?" Made me think, why not? Would I lose too much projection? I don't recall seeing a uke with opposite sound ports. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

I showed my screwup to my wife and she asked, "Why not just put another port on the other side?" Made me think, why not? Would I lose too much projection? I don't recall seeing a uke with opposite sound ports. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

A bi-dexterous Ukulele !!! :)

The Loprinzi Nova

989227.jpg

Last edited:
The uke just became a lefty?

When openings get too big (or numerous), instruments tend to get brash. If it were mine, I would use it as an opportunity to experiment. Before closing the box, I'd come up with a decorative way to close it after it's complete, or build in a sliding door (Linda Manzer and some other folks have done this on guitars). Then I'd build it as is and see how it sounds. Some of the effect of a sound port is not directional and it might serve it's purpose just fine on the treble side. You then have the option of cutting one in the bass side to see how it sounds with 2. If it gets worse, close the treble side one and you've had a good experiment.

edit: here's a pic of the Manzer port. http://www.manzer.com/guitars/images/stories/absyntheextras/85912D4559654A45.jpg

Last edited:
How do you feel about cutaways? Now's the time! A Florentine style cutaway would fit nicely on that uke if you still have some of the side wood.

Now THAT is a great idea, Chuck! I hadn't even consided a cutaway. As it happens, I do have a piece of the same mango, already bent (from a side that cracked) that I can use. A little more shaping and holding my breathe while I cut my perfectly good ukulele body in half and I'll have a feature instead of a mistake! Thank you!

Now THAT is a great idea, Chuck! I hadn't even consided a cutaway. As it happens, I do have a piece of the same mango, already bent (from a side that cracked) that I can use. A little more shaping and holding my breathe while I cut my perfectly good ukulele body in half and I'll have a feature instead of a mistake! Thank you!

It should be pretty simple if you've got something like a 6 X 48 sander. Just grind the upper bout down on the nose of the sander, re-kerf, and glue you cutaway side on. You could even do a scoop!

Top Bottom