PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot

Habanera Hal
01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I finally got back to work on my fourth tenor build. Everything was going great. Got the sides and kerfing glued up, everything level and square. Decided, "I think I'll try adding a sound port." Measured it all up, cut a caul to use to block and support the side from cracking while drilling a 1" hole with a Forstner bit. Here's how it came out:

I PUT IT ON THE WRONG #$%*@ SIDE!!!!
:wallbash:

(sigh) I guess I just made my first left-handed uke..................

cedarwax
01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Hal,
I applaud your honesty! I'm a Cabinetmaker/Furnituremaker; and I could probably build a small cottage with the material I wasted on similar mistakes.
Absolutely find a left-handed player. (I'm left-handed, but am learning the uke right-handed; feels better fretting with my strong hand).

I'll 'hoist one' in honor of more sawdust! Cheers.

resoman
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Well Hal, you are gonna have to get in line for that title and I'm right in there for the running. :D We get in a B.A.H. and make mistakes.
You can always mic that side, LOL

Peterjens
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
I feel your pain. There are many trades that present the same issue. In my youth, I worked as a carpet layer and measured rooms right-side up and cut carpet right-side down - most of the time. My dad, a cabinetmaker in the 50-60's, said there are two kinds of craftsman - one who doesn't make mistakes and one who can hide his mistakes. Sometime, somewhere, somebody will want that 'uke.

powdrell
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
You're not alone, my friend. I do mine after the box is closed......If not, find some obvious way to mark the correct side...BIG BLACK FELT pen small circle or something. I'll bet you never do that again. Who hasn't bent sides 'wrong way'...? all part of the journey. Custom 'leftie' ukulele w/soundport!!! Looks great.

Habanera Hal
01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I showed my screwup to my wife and she asked, "Why not just put another port on the other side?" Made me think, why not? Would I lose too much projection? I don't recall seeing a uke with opposite sound ports. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

dmecha1012
01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I showed my screwup to my wife and she asked, "Why not just put another port on the other side?" Made me think, why not? Would I lose too much projection? I don't recall seeing a uke with opposite sound ports. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

A bi-dexterous Ukulele !!! :)

qarl
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
The Loprinzi Nova

http://www.luthiersportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/989227.jpg

ukemunga
01-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Ditto, Boatpaddle Kayak:

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

Camsuke
01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
You could always install a decorative inlay to form a feature. Who's to know it was never really part of the original design, apart from all of us!

PhilUSAFRet
01-02-2014, 01:17 PM
The uke just became a lefty?

Peterjens
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I showed my screwup to my wife and she asked, "Why not just put another port on the other side?"

Guess dinner reservations are in the future. My wife would have asked me the same question.

Kent Chasson
01-02-2014, 02:35 PM

When openings get too big (or numerous), instruments tend to get brash. If it were mine, I would use it as an opportunity to experiment. Before closing the box, I'd come up with a decorative way to close it after it's complete, or build in a sliding door (Linda Manzer and some other folks have done this on guitars). Then I'd build it as is and see how it sounds. Some of the effect of a sound port is not directional and it might serve it's purpose just fine on the treble side. You then have the option of cutting one in the bass side to see how it sounds with 2. If it gets worse, close the treble side one and you've had a good experiment.

edit: here's a pic of the Manzer port. http://www.manzer.com/guitars/images/stories/absyntheextras/85912D4559654A45.jpg

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-02-2014, 03:06 PM
How do you feel about cutaways? Now's the time! A Florentine style cutaway would fit nicely on that uke if you still have some of the side wood.

Habanera Hal
01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
How do you feel about cutaways? Now's the time! A Florentine style cutaway would fit nicely on that uke if you still have some of the side wood.

Now THAT is a great idea, Chuck! I hadn't even consided a cutaway. As it happens, I do have a piece of the same mango, already bent (from a side that cracked) that I can use. A little more shaping and holding my breathe while I cut my perfectly good ukulele body in half and I'll have a feature instead of a mistake! Thank you!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Now THAT is a great idea, Chuck! I hadn't even consided a cutaway. As it happens, I do have a piece of the same mango, already bent (from a side that cracked) that I can use. A little more shaping and holding my breathe while I cut my perfectly good ukulele body in half and I'll have a feature instead of a mistake! Thank you!

It should be pretty simple if you've got something like a 6 X 48 sander. Just grind the upper bout down on the nose of the sander, re-kerf, and glue you cutaway side on. You could even do a scoop!

SailingUke
01-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Electronics with a battery compartment!!!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Electronics with a battery compartment!!!

Still wrong side. ;)

Peterjens
01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I love stories with happy endings.

Habanera Hal
01-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I did a little research and found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wo3xhw_qOA. My only concern is how close to the neck I can take this as it's a Spanish-style heel. I'm off work most of next week so I'll document how I do it and hopefully won't screw it up.

sbg2d
01-21-2014, 02:05 PM
So?
The world needs left handed ukes, and you learned something.
i really like your jig - do you use that for gluing on the back using rubber bands?
I am going to build something like it -
I am on my 6,7 and 8 ukes and am still learning so much, but its great stuff
'Doc

Habanera Hal
01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
So?
i really like your jig - do you use that for gluing on the back using rubber bands?
I am going to build something like it -
'Doc

Doc -
If you are referring to the notches cut in that building board, they are for clearance for my spool clamps. BTW - here's how the cutaway turned out: