writing an ukulele article

pekelo

Reaction score
Aloha & Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
I'm starting to write an updated article about
'Ukulele in the Pacific NW
It's been a while & there's been a number new groups that emerged since then.
So far – I've got SUPA, WASSUP, SEUS, PUA, Oly-A UP(OLUPA), MUO, NHUB, Langley Uke Ensemble, the uke group at Longbeach, BUG (x3 – yup, there's a lot of BUGS in this area:), SUSA, SOUP, NEHSUkes, Mele 'Ohana, Port Townsend Uke Group
For those of you who are in this NW area, are there any more that I might be missing?
Mahalo nui loa!
pekelo
(co-founder of supa)
www.pekelosbooks.com

Last edited:
This is great! I thought there would be more...
...Anacortes, one more in the So. WA area, a bunch more in central OR
& one more in the boise area/ a big mahalos!

There's a weekly song circle called STRUM ( Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians ) who meet at Kona Kitchen Restaurant on Wed evenings from 6-8p, then we have a meal together... sometimes before, if I get there real early or I'm particularly hungry! :)

There's Zukulele in Auburn for the 4th Sat's of the month and Kirkland Ukulele Group at the St James Espresso on either the 4th or 'last' Sunday of the month (so it may move from the 4th to the 5th as the calendar goes) :)

As you know, Pekelo, there are various Jams (esp in Bellevue) which are hosted if not formally organized :)

keep uke'in',

QUOTE=Kimosabe]Hello Pekelo,

I'm a serious uke player and have taken your books very seriously. I had worked through Mark Kailana Nelson's first picking book and could play most of the pieces and had memorized quite a few. I can manage some of Craig Brandeau's jazz pieces. So, I started working with Mark Nelson's slack key uke book and somehow I heard of your books.
so, I bought the second one thinking that the first was probably too easy. However, I reconsidered and bought the first volume. Boy am I glad I did. It's taught me a lot and I'm just about finished with it. I've memorized almost all the pieces and I'm about to start the second volume. Thank you very much. They're great books and they've helped my reading and understanding of dotted notes in particular. They've also taught me some of the very important Hawaiian songs.

So, here's my question: When's your third book coming out and what's it going to have in it?

I'm going to go back to Mark Nelson's Slack key and Juking the Uke books after I'm done with your books. ---

Mahalo nui loa for the nice feedback! Actually I've gotten a number of nice feedback from the UU community
for my uke books
For book 3, I'm hoping that I can get this out by later this year (writing uke books takes a long time!)
aloha!

Top Bottom