Switched to a wound C string, remove the 'thud'

billten

Reaction score
I was being bugged by a 'thud' sound when i played my C string second or third fret on my David Gill concert. I am trying to play some sweet renaissance style music and it was driving me crazy thudding away. After a little research I took the 4th string off my classical guitar (they are dadario medium classical strings) and replaced the Martin M600 C sting on my uke.

What a difference, i am so happy i did it. Yes there is a bit of a squeak occasionally from the wound string, but no thud, its all gone and the sound is much sweeter IMO.

Just an FYI to my friends here on the forum, Bill

I'm with you, Bill. Wound third on my Timms and my Pono.

Good to know about classical strings -- I always mean to check them out.

Cheers.

Good to know. Thud of C has always bugged me. Does anyone know of a squeakless or low squeak wound C?

Good to know. Thud of C has always bugged me. Does anyone know of a squeakless or low squeak wound C?

Low squeak: Southcoast (but I am admittedly biased in their favor).

Squeakless? Let us know when you find it.

Low squeak: Southcoast (but I am admittedly biased in their favor).

Squeakless? Let us know when you find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVhplcDLmg

I had researched this and had a conversation with Dirk last year at Southcoast and decided to prove the theory on the wound C which is the only time I will say "Wound" is "Better" for me than unwound if you want to get as much sustain and clarity out of the C string and remove any thudyness (I think we need to add that to the dictionary). I switched to a wound C on my Collings and filmed the transformation of an unwound C to a wound C.

I wish Dirk or Fremont would come out with a polished squeekless wound C for us finger style guys. Fremont's Soloist takes the #1 spot in my string collection for low G's as their polished and squeekless wound is truly squeekless and can be used on a soprano, concert and tenor and works fantastic on all of my ukes with it. They also last an extremely long time. For a set with a wound C, Southcoast is what I use now.

Anyone reading this thread have any polished squeekless wound's from some of the guitar sets out there they have used successfully on the third string?

Happy New Year,

Top Bottom