tuner an old uke with a tuner, why doesn't it work

ph46

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so, hi! I've been playing for a year with a soprano and have recently purchased a De Vecky Uke , which I believe dates from around the 20's and 30's. However, I can't tune it in with a tuner for the life of me- Does anyone have any suggestions please- I can't wait to play it!
When I try to tune the a string, the tuner stays on the e string and then completely goes to the g string. This happens no matter what string I tune

Thanks in advance,

Paula

Sorry, title of thread should say TUNING and old uke with a tuner

My old Snark SN-2 just quit working properly on vibrate mode. Mic still works, but that's only useful if not in a noisy environment. If you tried replacing batteries, and it's within warranty, may need a replacement.

Try damping the strings that you are not tuning, making it easier for the tuner to 'hear' the string being tuned.
New batteries in the tuner gets my vote also.
h

Happens with new ukes too. Dampen in between tunings to get the vibrations of that particular string. You have harmonics interfering, which actually is a good thing as the uke is very vibrant and live.

Last edited:
E is the fifth of A and it's not too uncommon for tuners to pick up the fifth instead of the fundamental. Try plucking the string at a different spot along its length, this often helps. Also, if the tuner you are using isn't a clip on, moving the tuner relative to the string can also change which note it "hears."

Also, if the strings are very old they will sometimes "fool" tuners. If they are that old it's time for new strings (old ukes are great, strings, not so much :) )

Oh, and welcome to UU!

John

There is a GREAT app for the iphone (and I guess Android) called Guitar Toolit...

It also has a Uke mode... I use it for banjo (has a banjo mode). Just as accurate as my Snarks... but uses the microphone.

No affiliation, but I highly recommend it. Great for going into a music store and wanting to play an instrument on display that's out of tune. Can tune very quickly. has tons of other features... chords... metronome, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitartoolkit/id284962368?mt=8

If your tuner still works on your other ukulele, start by changing the strings on the antique. If the tuner no longer works on the soprano.... buy batteries for the tuner AND change the strings on the antique. Strings are comparatively cheap and IMHO should always be the first thing to look at for unusual problems.

If the De Vecky is from the 20's or 30's, you may actually be trying to tune it to the wrong key. In the 20's and 30's the most popular tuning was ADF#B. I'm just thinking this out as I write but, IF the strings are ADF#B and are as old as the ukulele, then you won't have enough tension on the strings tuning the uke to GCEA. With old, stretched strings GCEA tuning would be extra sloppy and may be causing the tuner to pick up a vibration that you cannot hear.

Speaking of vibrations... Since old instruments often come with a laundry list of issues, it's not inconceivable that the tuner is picking up vibrations from a loose part that you may not know about. If changing the strings doesn't help, take it to a shop.

Top Bottom