the price you are willing to pay.

RedRamen

Reaction score
Yesterday, my new ukulele arrived. It is a Kanilea K-1 Concert. It is my first Hawaiian koa uke and I am so pleased with it. The guys at HMS did a fantastic set up and lots of little freebies.

Since my wife and I just had a daughter (a 17 month old), I didn't have a ton of extra money laying around. So to fund it, I sold a Takamine dreadnought, an Epiphone Wilshire, and a Marshall JT1C 1 Watt tube amp. And I definitely think I made the right decision. After taking up uke, I wasnt playing my guitars as much anyway. I guess that is the price I was willing to pay for a really nice uke.

Will post up pics later, but it is the uke that Corey plays in this video.
http://vimeo.com/81671282

image.jpg

Last edited:
I've done stuff like that. When I saw my two sought-after ukes become available (Johnny Marvin Professional Tenor and Roy Smeck Professional Concert), I did what I don't normally do... I purchased both and put it on my credit card (I ONLY use that thing for the rare emergencies that come up). After doing that, I sold a few unloved musical instruments on CraigsList to pay it back. I was actually able to pay of the total amount from the credit card with the money I raised. And, just this Wednesday, I sold a guitar to fund another purchase. Not so much for a uke, but for other stuff I didn't want to use the credit card for. So, I've definitely done it. I figure if the instrument hasn't been touched in a year, it should go to someone who will show it some love.

Dan

P.S. I am seriously considering selling one more instrument to purchase the Kala KA-ASLAS on the marketplace. I wanted one of those really bad, but when they discontinued them, I totally forgot about it until I saw that ad. Dang it, right when I thought I had all the ukes I'd ever want.

Dan

I'm so happy for you! I think funding instruments we will play with our former acquisitions that we won't play is The Best way to go! I wish you may years of joy with your new axe!

After only playing for about 5 months, I accumulated 6 ukes. I reworked a bookshelf for the six ukes. A couple of weeks ago I setup a group buy on UU for a direct from China steel string arch-top electric, to arrive at the end of January. In thinking about how I have to rework the bookshelf to fit another uke, I decided instead to sell the most plain one I have, the Eddie Finn, partly so I wouldn't have to change the shelf, and partly to fund the new uke.

I was planning on bringing it to my next CC Strummers practice to sell, and if it didn't happen there, to the Westside Ukulele Ensemble at their next rehearsal, and if nothing there, list it here in the Marketplace (waited on that because I didn't want to deal with shipping). But, in attending an annual New Year's Eve party, they asked that I bring a uke, and after playing, a new participant came over and mentioned that he's been looking to start playing the ukulele and could I recommend something. Of course I told him I had one for sale, described it to him, that I'll include a gig bag, stand and strap, and he agreed to buy it. Happy New Year to me.

u2EddyFinn.jpg

Uke shelf 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've done stuff like that. When I saw my two sought-after ukes become available (Johnny Marvin Professional Tenor and Roy Smeck Professional Concert), I did what I don't normally do... I purchased both and put it on my credit card (I ONLY use that thing for the rare emergencies that come up). After doing that, I sold a few unloved musical instruments on CraigsList to pay it back. I was actually able to pay of the total amount from the credit card with the money I raised. And, just this Wednesday, I sold a guitar to fund another purchase. Not so much for a uke, but for other stuff I didn't want to use the credit card for. So, I've definitely done it. I figure if the instrument hasn't been touched in a year, it should go to someone who will show it some love.

Dan

I'm so happy for you! I think funding instruments we will play with our former acquisitions that we won't play is The Best way to go! I wish you may years of joy with your new axe!

Yeah. Since getting the ukes, I havent touched the takamine and the wilshire at all. I kept my gibson les paul special, just in case I ever want to play guitar.

Never regret selling instruments you dont play to get something you will play a lot.

P.S. I am seriously considering selling one more instrument to purchase the Kala KA-ASLAS on the marketplace. I wanted one of those really bad, but when they discontinued them, I totally forgot about it until I saw that ad. Dang it, right when I thought I had all the ukes I'd ever want.

Dan

Those Kala ASLAS are really nice. really great price for an all solid instrument and the lacewood is pretty. I think MIm has a couple left.

After only playing for about 5 months, I accumulated 6 ukes (see my signature). I reworked a bookshelf for the six ukes. A couple of weeks ago I setup a group buy on UU for a direct from China steel string arch-top electric, to arrive at the end of January. In thinking about how I have to rework the bookshelf to fit another uke, I decided instead to sell the most plain one I have, the Eddie Martin, partly so I wouldn't have to change the shelf, and partly to fund the new uke.

I was planning on bringing it to my next CC Strummers practice to sell, and if it didn't happen there, to the Westside Ukulele Ensemble at their next rehearsal, and if nothing there, list it here in the Marketplace (waited on that because I didn't want to deal with shipping). But, in attending an annual New Year's Eve party, they asked that I bring a uke, and after playing, a new participant came over and mentioned that he's been looking to start playing the ukulele and could I recommend something. Of course I told him I had one for sale, described it to him, that I'll include a gig bag, stand and strap, and he agreed to buy it. Happy New Year to me.

u2EddyFinn.jpg

Uke shelf 2.jpg

cool ukes and I reallu like your cabinet. I am afraid that if I ever build something like that, I willa cquire waaaaay too many ukes

Agree 100%! Last year - since 2013 was so long ago now LOL - I was finally able to sell off 2 ukes I barely played since I got them. I was happy; their new owners were happy, and the ukes got some love.

Unfortunately, twice I have sold off much-loved ukes, not to purchase other ukes, but to pay necessary bills. And I know I'm not the only one. One of those, I got over. The other? Not so much. Ok, not at all. :eek:

Funding new ukes with old ones, or other things you no longer need/want, is great! Funding anything by sacrificing something you love... Ouch.

Funding new ukes with old ones, or other things you no longer need/want, is great!

Last year, I was lucky enough to realize those electric guitars I had not even seen outside of the case for 5 years were unneeded, so I sold them and got the uke of my dreams. Win-win!

Congrats, great uke. At the top of my wish list...one of the "tone monsters"

Yesterday, my new ukulele arrived. It is a Kanilea K-1 Concert. It is my first Hawaiian koa uke and I am so pleased with it.

I recently played a Kanilea and those are first class ukes! Get rid of the musical deadwood at home and go big with a Kanilea! All the best!

Petey

Great decision you made! I'm sure that through the years you'll continue to find joy in your new uke! Lovely instrument by the way!

I have a similar experience. In summer 2013 I went to a road trip in the states and ended up buying a Kanile'a K2, and it was way over my budget. So I bought it, knowing that when I returned to Denmark I would have to sell my Gibson Les Paul guitar to fund the new ukulele.
Ever since I picked up the uke a few years back, my guitars has been gathering so much dust.
Here I am 6 months later: I've put hundreds of hours of love into my new uke and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Because it let me refined my love for the ukulele.

Top Bottom