Changed strings can no longer play Bb ??

Spud1$

Reaction score
For at least 8 weeks I've been playing a clean Bb not in a song but with Uncle Rods chords. I got a new set of Daniel Ho strings and I simply cannot get the E string to ring clearly. Did I do something wrong when I changed strings? Thank you

Are the new strings higher tension and/or thicker than what you had on before? If higher tension you may just need to work on the strength of your barre. If thicker they may not be seating fully in the slots in the nut which would make them higher which will make the tension greater for barres at the first and second fret and may also affect intonation.

John

Are the new strings higher tension and/or thicker than what you had on before? If higher tension you may just need to work on the strength of your barre. If thicker they may not be seating fully in the slots in the nut which would make them higher which will make the tension greater for barres at the first and second fret and may also affect intonation.

John
I had Aquila before and changed to these at the suggestion of someone on the forum, it was to help me with barre chords. I decided that I must learn with the strings I had so I expected to get better with the new strings. They actually feel much finer and seem to sound much brighter if that makes sense. This is only the second time I've ever changed strings and I put them on where I have to turn the nut in the opposite direction to tune, could that do it? I'm sorry as I am sure these seem like dumb questions.

I had Aquila before and changed to these at the suggestion of someone on the forum, it was to help me with barre chords. I decided that I must learn with the strings I had so I expected to get better with the new strings. They actually feel much finer and seem to sound much brighter if that makes sense. This is only the second time I've ever changed strings and I put them on where I have to turn the nut in the opposite direction to tune, could that do it? I'm sorry as I am sure these seem like dumb questions.

When you put the strings on so that they wind the wrong way round the posts there is a danger that the 2 and 3 strings will rub the posts of 1 and 4 strings. I would imagine that this could cause some additional friction and erratic tuning.

When you put the strings on so that they wind the wrong way round the posts there is a danger that the 2 and 3 strings will rub the posts of 1 and 4 strings. I would imagine that this could cause some additional friction and erratic tuning.

Can I redo these strings or should I start fresh. These cost $10!

Can I redo these strings or should I start fresh. These cost $10!

I should think, yes, easily. for each string just keep unwinding, go past the neutral point and continuing rotation will start winding it on in the reverse direction. Just stop the string end from disengaging at the neutral point.

Could they be thicker, and therefore sitting higher in the nut slots? Are you sure you are barring 1 and 2 just above the fret (as opposed to a little too close to the nut?) That first fret can be a strain. Lot's of good suggestions here.

The E string looks higher in the nut slot, that's for sure however it seems to be getting a little bit better and it's probably good for my finger muscles. I thank you all for your help!

some in the old days did string the bottom pegs the other way...Yes keep practicing to build finger muscles and dexterity...Happy Strummings...You got the PHD? they seem thicker, harder compound strings.. always good to get a set up if you change to different guage strings...take it in to a luthier or music shop to get it looked at....

Last edited:
some in the old days did string the bottom pegs the other way...Yes keep practicing to build finger muscles and dexterity...Happy Strummings...You got the PHD? they seem thicker, harder compound strings.. always good to get a set up if you change to different guage strings...take it in to a luthier or music shop to get it looked at....
I think I will take it to a luthier and have it looked at, good idea thanks

Top Bottom