Strings?

Edgeguy

Reaction score
I know, I know another string thread.

What is the difference between Nylon and Flurocarbon strings? On K brand ukes do you stick with the strings that they come with or do you switch out soon after?

What are the characteristics of Nylon vs Flrocarbon (easier fretting, brighter or louder sound, longer lasting)?

What are the differences besides guage on Flurocarbon (Phd, Worth, Living water)?

The reason I ask is I am getting a Koaloha concert soon and have only played with Aquila and it comes with Worth (I think).

Flouro is very stiff and bright, sounds like glass breaking almost, a very pins and needles sound. It's dramatic, but I got tired of it. It has better playing characteristics than nylon, better intonation, dynamic range, lasts longer. Sounds like an electrified instrument with the treble up. Good for strumming with other players. A modern uke sound. Good also for a hard wood like koa.

Nylon is supple and softer, warmer maybe. Upper frets can lose intonation, low strings can get thuddy. Better for softer wood like mahogany, and a more traditional sound. Sounds prettier I think. Most people like the flourocarbon better.

I thought mahogany was a hard wood :confused:

I rarely use Nylon strings anymore on most of my ukes.
They often lack a bit of energy on an ukulele in my opinion.
They sound great on longer scale instruments like Classical guitar, but for a short scale with less length for the string to vibrate, I think something crisp like fluorocarbon works better.

But then there are certain (generally more expensive) ukuleles where nylon strings sound 'better' because the ukulele itself is very lightly built. Fluorocarbons may overpower on such ukes.

Of course, this is over-simplifying a very complex and subjective thing..

Last edited:
Top Bottom