Expensive Ukuleles

NoLine

Reaction score
today in one of my classes we had an interesting conversation talking about some expensive musical instruments and how much they go for.
stuff like the Stradivarius and how many millions those are worth.

this is just for kicks

but

what is the most expensive uke youve seen and how much?
what is the most expensive that a ukulele has ever gone for?
and for all you uke experts, is there a uke that even remotely matches the Stradivarius in class and/or price?

what is the most expensive uke youve seen and how much?
what is the most expensive that a ukulele has ever gone for?
and for all you uke experts, is there a uke that even remotely matches the Stradivarius in class and/or price?

Its sort of apples and oranges since Stadivarius never built ukuleles. Has there been ukuleles built very quality material and excellent craftsmanship, sure.

I don't know about the most expensive ever, but MGM has one for 13K right now, I'm sure theres higher.

a simple search yielded some results. for example, 300yr old cello going for 1.4 million pounds (estimated auction price), $2.08 million John Lennon’s Steinway Model ‘Z’ piano, $1.03 million ‘Bonjour’, Stradivarius cello, Eric Clapton’s $959,500 ‘Blackie’, Stratocaster guitar.

so a 20 grand uke doesnt seem like THAT much.:uhoh:

sources: http://www.bornrich.org/entry/most-expensive-musical-instruments/ http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4699135.ece

Most expensive instrument I have ever seen would be my former band director's custom bassoon that he bought for $35,000.

Most expensive uke I have ever seen would probably be Jake's. MSRP unknown. But I doubt that throwing money at a uke will make it sound that much better than his.

Most expensive instrument I have ever seen would be my former band director's custom bassoon that he bought for $35,000.

Most expensive uke I have ever seen would probably be Jake's. MSRP unknown. But I doubt that throwing money at a uke will make it sound that much better than his.

Kamaka's Jake Shimabukuro Signature Series Model is proported to have the same specs as the one they build for Jake (5A koa, electronics, etc.) without the slotted-head - I hear Jake wants the only one of those. Only 100 are being made. If you happen to be one of the 100 "winners" who were selected via lottery in Jan '07, your cost is $5,500. I suspect that the price on eBay will be $11,000+.

Kamaka's Jake Shimabukuro Signature Series Model is proported to have the same specs as the one they build for Jake (5A koa, electronics, etc.) without the slotted-head - I hear Jake wants the only one of those. Only 100 are being made. If you happen to be one of the 100 "winners" who were selected via lottery in Jan '07, your cost is $5,500. I suspect that the price on eBay will be $11,000+.

PERSONAL OPINION

11.5K gets you a 20's 5K tenor. If they get that high after the 100 production run and stabilize I will eat my fedora collection.

I have a feeling there is a bit more different then just the headstock, its no different then my Elliot Easton Gretsch, in name only, its the guy strumming the strings not the uke. I think under MSRP long term pricing. Heck getting 100 backs and fronts in that grade of Koa is going to be difficult, let alone producing 100 at the quality people are expecting at 5.5K. (unless they start calling the the koa they have now premium 5A, they have always uprated there naming)

Has any modern ukuleles other then the Glyphs bring more then they sold for new from a established builder, non that I can think of, and really non at that price range. The glyphs are only doing it because of the wait time, that and maybe the kings and howlett's which I personally think are significantly better then the stuff they are cranking out now.

I was excited about this model when it was released but until I get to actually see one and play it critically I am not thinking it will turn out for the best.

Last edited:
saw one for 20K in Oahu last week at Ukulele Store. It was underglass, protected by a grumpy store owner a security system. :) So why it was 20K for a new instrument I'm not sure. I can't remember the maker name but it started with an I.

Most expensive I've seen/played is a 20s Martin 5K. Five-figure price tag. I wasn't impressed. :( Call it blasphemy, call my tastes unrefined, but to me, the new Kamakas in the store played and sounded better.

The cost of an instrument is not a true indication of how good it will sound. An excellent player can make a mediocre uke sound terrific. I can make a terrific uke sound poor. It's all in the fingers.

Ukantor

No matter how well an expensive instrument is played, someone won't like the sound because of their own personal preference for something different. The player's ability has something to do with it, but I'd say that subjective preference is at least as important.

Top Bottom