Florida Uke owners . . . humidity question

widerberg

Reaction score
Hi, All:

For those in humid states (Florida especially), do you do anything special with your solid wood ukes? Currently, I have two laminate ukes but am considering buying a Mainland solid. I've heard of people needing humidifiers in dryer climes, but lack of humidity is never really a problem where I live (central-ish Florida).

Is there anything I need to do with a solid uke, other than simply hang it on a wall hook?

My apologies if this has been covered, I did attempt a search.

Bo

I live in E. Central FL. No problems of any kind with any of my solid ukes which include vintage, and a Vietnamese solid acacia (solid mahogany, koa, and acacia)

I lived in New Smyrna Beach for a while and the humidity there is no higher than where I live and build in Hawaii. It's the other extreme where you really need to worry about. Keep an eye on the uke during your winter time though when the air is cold and dry. You've got a heater on during the winter and an A/C running most of the time during the summer which can make for real variable RH conditions in your house, where I assume most of your uke playing will be done. You should be fine but I'd still keep an eye on it.

Thanks, Phil and Chuck. You've helped set my mind at ease. Generally, we don't run the heater during the winter as it doesn't tend to get *that* cold. But, I'll likely pick up a little hygrometer to keep an eye on things.

Many thanks!

Bo

Top Bottom