Plastic soprano ukuleles

callmemario

Reaction score
I should have name the thread "THE ALL PLASTIC SOPRANO UKULELE". I realize that some are posting Ukuleles that are not entirely made of plastic (this includes the top and neck, fretboard, bridge, etc, except for the tuners of course). Please, to keep the thread pertinent and interesting, let's try and "think plastic!" ;-) Thanks to all! :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, so there's been some amount of talk here and there on these forums regarding FULL PLASTIC Soprano ukuleles (for those interested). Mainly reviewing or talking about "the good ol' days of the Maccaferri era...(the Holy Grail of plastic ukuleles)but that's long time gone. The question should now be WHO (today)imitates the Islander the best? So there's talk about the Japanese Pineapple, Peace & Heart models by Takumi (made in China!...) and on the other side of the pond there's the OUTDOOR Ukulele USA (with the "square" fretboard back) and there the Flea Market Fluke.... There's also a new model that 's out and that no one talks about or even has reviewed... The all plastic WOODI usa soprano in various color schemes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Soprano...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item565f6a0c52

I have a small collection of Ukuleles and I would really like to get a plastic model in my collection. IMHO a plastic uke should be inexpensive and "descent" to play with and sound.

What's your take on this? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
My vote goes for a flea.

I love my Islander Uke. (I've also played a TV Pal-style plastic uke and a Lisa plastic uke; I liked them both quite a bit.)

I haven't had great experiences with newer plastic ukes (a Ukulelia and an Outdoor Uke) that I've played. Fleas are great ukes, with quite a few non-plastic parts.

Are there ukes of carbon fiber plastic- like the box of an Ovation gutar?

I was thinking today that I'd like a guitar with an aluminum neck- like an aluminum ball bat-

very precise- bolt on, bolt off-

change your scale, width of neck, nut etc-
as easily as a new set of strings.......

Been in a discussion about guitar necks:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323971

Last edited:
Carbon fiber ukes? Yes.
Uke bodies completely made out of the Lycracord material that was the backs of an Ovation? No.
Ukes with a lycracord back? Yes, by Ovation. :)

I think Ovation needs more uke models on the market. I think they'd be successful, with a little effort.

What is the material of the Makala ukuleles now? Early on they were wood, but now they are a formed tub/

I think you've got a good point. BUT, at this point in my venture it would be like giving up... It's just that I tend to be an idealist. Once upon a time a man by the name of Maccaferri (as all of you know ;-) came up with a great design and sounding uke...WHY ON EARTH hasn't ANYBODY been able to copy his design?!! Afterall that time his "patented" or "copyrights" most probably do not apply anymore or they could just modify a few minor things on it. WHY is it that we need to "reinvent the wheel" when we already got the right product?!!... I am just searching "for the fun of it" a totally plastic uke that would be NEWLY produced and sound as great as the Maccaferri. Yes, you are quite right in that I could just give up my search and buy THE Maccaferri and close the file!... but for now, I am not giving up. There's the WOODI All plastic uke (see my first post above/and the pic that UkeKiddiMe posted a few posts above) the thing is there are NO reviews. OK it's not expensive and maybe, just maybe it would be worth the price to just go ahead and buy it. WOODI has different ALL plastic models that are quite nice check it out here. I just discovered these yesterday: http://www.woodiusa.com/product/wdu-21wh/ I don't know WHERE they are from or how long they've been in America, would be nice to know but as long as they sound great. They LOOK pretty good and seem well built. Just wished there were a few reviews on YouTube. Anyways the search goes on, but I might just let myself be tempted by a WOODI! ;-) We'll see what others have to say.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

why not just get a Maccaferri Islander. they made lots of them. I've got one, I paid about $50 for it. they come up pretty often . Now his baritone, guitar , and violin are a little scarcer [and more expensive]
here's one with a really cool color
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item3f2e]7146b9[/QUOTE

There are now several offerings of the Woodi on Ebay for 32.99 and 36.99. I'm tempted too, maybe I'll TTOFT (Take One for the Team) and find out.

Yes Frank, I agree with you. It's got the looks!! :) BUT has it got "the sound" and the right feel?...I may end up buying one of them. They seem to have followed a bit along the Maccaferri line. The price is pretty descent and they have SO many color schemes available. Check out my reference in my last posting regarding WOODI ukuleles. They may well be THE new Maccaferri! ;-)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It looks interesting. Price is right.

I particularly like the look of the black one with the light fretboard:

View attachment 62706

Not sure if you've seen this video comparing the Maccaferri to a newer plastic ukulele made by Amuse, but I thought it might be worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOag1nduNk
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

YES! I've seen it. Great video and LOVE the way he does the "blindfolded test" But I find it easy to tell the difference. Maccaferri wins by far!! The Takumi/Kiwaya or "Amuse" is way too expensive in my opinion ($169.00!!). But it's a cute one in all their 3 colors. Thanks for the reference! :)

YES!! I fully agree with you. They are new to me and they "look" pretty good!! Maybe I'll get one "for the team" also! ;-) ...and they have MANY color schemes available, at least on Woodi's site (check out the link on one of my postings)
Mario
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are now several offerings of the Woodi on Ebay for 32.99 and 36.99. I'm tempted too, maybe I'll TTOFT (Take One for the Team) and find out.

Great feedback/review on those vintage models. Thanks! :)

I love my Islander Uke. (I've also played a TV Pal-style plastic uke and a Lisa plastic uke; I liked them both quite a bit.)

I haven't had great experiences with newer plastic ukes (a Ukulelia and an Outdoor Uke) that I've played. Fleas are great ukes, with quite a few non-plastic parts.

Maybe there's someone out there who owns a WOODI all plastic soprano and could gives us some feedback or review...or post a video on YouTube?!...Hmmm...that sure would be great! :)

I just went ahead and bought one off of Ebay. It came to $35 including tax (I'm in CA). Since it is being sent from a few miles from my house, it might be here tomorrow. It will be hard for it to be worse than the Outdoor Ukulele that I sent back.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

YES! I've seen it. Great video and LOVE the way he does the "blindfolded test" But I find it easy to tell the difference. Maccaferri wins by far!! The Takumi/Kiwaya or "Amuse" is way too expensive in my opinion ($169.00!!). But it's a cute one in all their 3 colors. Thanks for the reference! :)

I agree, the Maccaferri does win by far! And I had no idea that the Amuse was that expensive--yikes!!!

ugh! ugh!... I made someone spend?!... ;-) I'm happy for you. I will soon be next!. I was also looking at the Outdoor Ukulele...but with the "square neck" and bad reviews... (unfortunately for them, but that's always a matter of opinion and personal taste. Many may be thrilled with them and that's great!) I decided not to go ahead with the purchase. They look great however. Congratulations on your purchase! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it. PLEASE keep us posted here!!. (Which color did you get?) Mario :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just went ahead and bought one off of Ebay. It came to $35 including tax (I'm in CA). Since it is being sent from a few miles from my house, it might be here tomorrow. It will be hard for it to be worse than the Outdoor Ukulele that I sent back.

I agree, the Maccaferri does win by far! And I had no idea that the Amuse was that expensive--yikes!!!

I guess cost of production is high on these. Especially when they are starting off. That's what I understood when I read the "Outdoor Ukulele" story. Something like $80,000 to start off with the diecasts and all! A true "leap of faith!". But at the same time you have the WOODI ALL plastic ukulele who sell for like $35.00 on eBay... and they are brand new. Who knows.

Top Bottom