PDA

View Full Version : Plastic soprano ukuleles

callmemario
01-05-2014, 11:10 AM
I should have name the thread "THE ALL PLASTIC SOPRANO UKULELE". I realize that some are posting Ukuleles that are not entirely made of plastic (this includes the top and neck, fretboard, bridge, etc, except for the tuners of course). Please, to keep the thread pertinent and interesting, let's try and "think plastic!" ;-) Thanks to all! :-)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

OK, so there's been some amount of talk here and there on these forums regarding FULL PLASTIC Soprano ukuleles (for those interested). Mainly reviewing or talking about "the good ol' days of the Maccaferri era...(the Holy Grail of plastic ukuleles)but that's long time gone. The question should now be WHO (today)imitates the Islander the best? So there's talk about the Japanese Pineapple, Peace & Heart models by Takumi (made in China!...) and on the other side of the pond there's the OUTDOOR Ukulele USA (with the "square" fretboard back) and there the Flea Market Fluke.... There's also a new model that 's out and that no one talks about or even has reviewed... The all plastic WOODI usa soprano in various color schemes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Soprano-21-Plastic-Ukulele-For-Beginner-Level-/370967972946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item565f6a0c52

I have a small collection of Ukuleles and I would really like to get a plastic model in my collection. IMHO a plastic uke should be inexpensive and "descent" to play with and sound.

What's your take on this? Thanks! :-)

Newportlocal
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
My vote goes for a flea.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-05-2014, 11:30 AM
I love my Islander Uke. (I've also played a TV Pal-style plastic uke and a Lisa plastic uke; I liked them both quite a bit.)

I haven't had great experiences with newer plastic ukes (a Ukulelia and an Outdoor Uke) that I've played. Fleas are great ukes, with quite a few non-plastic parts.

UkeKiddinMe
01-05-2014, 01:34 PM
It looks interesting. Price is right.

I particularly like the look of the black one with the light fretboard:

hucklelele
01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Are there ukes of carbon fiber plastic- like the box of an Ovation gutar?

I was thinking today that I'd like a guitar with an aluminum neck- like an aluminum ball bat-

very precise- bolt on, bolt off-

change your scale, width of neck, nut etc-
as easily as a new set of strings.......

Been in a discussion about guitar necks:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323971

UkeKiddinMe
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Carbon fiber ukes? Yes.
Uke bodies completely made out of the Lycracord material that was the backs of an Ovation? No.
Ukes with a lycracord back? Yes, by Ovation. :)

I think Ovation needs more uke models on the market. I think they'd be successful, with a little effort.

strumsilly
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
why not just get a Macciferri Islander. they made lots of them. I've got one, I paid about $50 for it. they come up pretty often . Now his baritone, guitar , and violin are a little scarcer [and more expensive]
here's one with a really cool color
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-MACCAFERRI-Toy-ISLANDER-Plastic-Ukelele-Music-Instrument-GUITAR-/271362115257?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item3f2e7146b9

TheCraftedCow
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
What is the material of the Makala ukuleles now? Early on they were wood, but now they are a formed tub/

callmemario
01-06-2014, 05:22 AM
I think you've got a good point. BUT, at this point in my venture it would be like giving up... It's just that I tend to be an idealist. Once upon a time a man by the name of Maccaferri (as all of you know ;-) came up with a great design and sounding uke...WHY ON EARTH hasn't ANYBODY been able to copy his design?!! Afterall that time his "patented" or "copyrights" most probably do not apply anymore or they could just modify a few minor things on it. WHY is it that we need to "reinvent the wheel" when we already got the right product?!!... I am just searching "for the fun of it" a totally plastic uke that would be NEWLY produced and sound as great as the Maccaferri. Yes, you are quite right in that I could just give up my search and buy THE Maccaferri and close the file!... but for now, I am not giving up. There's the WOODI All plastic uke (see my first post above/and the pic that UkeKiddiMe posted a few posts above) the thing is there are NO reviews. OK it's not expensive and maybe, just maybe it would be worth the price to just go ahead and buy it. WOODI has different ALL plastic models that are quite nice check it out here. I just discovered these yesterday: http://www.woodiusa.com/product/wdu-21wh/ I don't know WHERE they are from or how long they've been in America, would be nice to know but as long as they sound great. They LOOK pretty good and seem well built. Just wished there were a few reviews on YouTube. Anyways the search goes on, but I might just let myself be tempted by a WOODI! ;-) We'll see what others have to say.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

[QUOTE=strumsilly;1457194]why not just get a Maccaferri Islander. they made lots of them. I've got one, I paid about $50 for it. they come up pretty often . Now his baritone, guitar , and violin are a little scarcer [and more expensive]
here's one with a really cool color
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-MACCAFERRI-Toy-ISLANDER-Plastic-Ukelele-Music-Instrument-GUITAR-/271362115257?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item3f2e]7146b9[/QUOTE

Splash81
01-06-2014, 06:06 AM
Not sure if you've seen this video comparing the Maccaferri to a newer plastic ukulele made by Amuse, but I thought it might be worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOag1nduNk

katysax
01-06-2014, 06:07 AM
There are now several offerings of the Woodi on Ebay for 32.99 and 36.99. I'm tempted too, maybe I'll TTOFT (Take One for the Team) and find out.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Yes Frank, I agree with you. It's got the looks!! :-) BUT has it got "the sound" and the right feel?...I may end up buying one of them. They seem to have followed a bit along the Maccaferri line. The price is pretty descent and they have SO many color schemes available. Check out my reference in my last posting regarding WOODI ukuleles. They may well be THE new Maccaferri! ;-)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

It looks interesting. Price is right.

I particularly like the look of the black one with the light fretboard:

callmemario
01-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Not sure if you've seen this video comparing the Maccaferri to a newer plastic ukulele made by Amuse, but I thought it might be worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOag1nduNk
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

YES! I've seen it. Great video and LOVE the way he does the "blindfolded test" But I find it easy to tell the difference. Maccaferri wins by far!! The Takumi/Kiwaya or "Amuse" is way too expensive in my opinion ($169.00!!). But it's a cute one in all their 3 colors. Thanks for the reference! :-)

callmemario
01-06-2014, 06:34 AM
YES!! I fully agree with you. They are new to me and they "look" pretty good!! Maybe I'll get one "for the team" also! ;-) ...and they have MANY color schemes available, at least on Woodi's site (check out the link on one of my postings)
Mario
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

There are now several offerings of the Woodi on Ebay for 32.99 and 36.99. I'm tempted too, maybe I'll TTOFT (Take One for the Team) and find out.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Great feedback/review on those vintage models. Thanks! :-)
__________________________________________________ _

I love my Islander Uke. (I've also played a TV Pal-style plastic uke and a Lisa plastic uke; I liked them both quite a bit.)

I haven't had great experiences with newer plastic ukes (a Ukulelia and an Outdoor Uke) that I've played. Fleas are great ukes, with quite a few non-plastic parts.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Maybe there's someone out there who owns a WOODI all plastic soprano and could gives us some feedback or review...or post a video on YouTube?!...Hmmm...that sure would be great! :-)

katysax
01-06-2014, 06:58 AM
I just went ahead and bought one off of Ebay. It came to $35 including tax (I'm in CA). Since it is being sent from a few miles from my house, it might be here tomorrow. It will be hard for it to be worse than the Outdoor Ukulele that I sent back.

Splash81
01-06-2014, 06:58 AM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

YES! I've seen it. Great video and LOVE the way he does the "blindfolded test" But I find it easy to tell the difference. Maccaferri wins by far!! The Takumi/Kiwaya or "Amuse" is way too expensive in my opinion ($169.00!!). But it's a cute one in all their 3 colors. Thanks for the reference! :-)

I agree, the Maccaferri does win by far! And I had no idea that the Amuse was that expensive--yikes!!!

callmemario
01-06-2014, 07:58 AM
ugh! ugh!... I made someone spend?!... ;-) I'm happy for you. I will soon be next!. I was also looking at the Outdoor Ukulele...but with the "square neck" and bad reviews... (unfortunately for them, but that's always a matter of opinion and personal taste. Many may be thrilled with them and that's great!) I decided not to go ahead with the purchase. They look great however. Congratulations on your purchase! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it. PLEASE keep us posted here!!. (Which color did you get?) Mario :-)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

I just went ahead and bought one off of Ebay. It came to $35 including tax (I'm in CA). Since it is being sent from a few miles from my house, it might be here tomorrow. It will be hard for it to be worse than the Outdoor Ukulele that I sent back.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 08:03 AM
I agree, the Maccaferri does win by far! And I had no idea that the Amuse was that expensive--yikes!!!

I guess cost of production is high on these. Especially when they are starting off. That's what I understood when I read the "Outdoor Ukulele" story. Something like $80,000 to start off with the diecasts and all! A true "leap of faith!". But at the same time you have the WOODI ALL plastic ukulele who sell for like $35.00 on eBay... and they are brand new. Who knows.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Wow!...I just found a great link on the history and developments of Mario Maccaferri's ukuleles! Enjoy! :-)

http://www.ukesterbrown.com/maccaferri-and-his-islanders.html
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

katysax
01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
ugh! ugh!... I made someone spend?!... ;-) I'm happy for you. I will soon be next!. I was also looking at the Outdoor Ukulele...but with the "square neck" and bad reviews... (unfortunately for them, but that's always a matter of opinion and personal taste. Many may be thrilled with them and that's great!) I decided not to go ahead with the purchase. They look great however. Congratulations on your purchase! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it. PLEASE keep us posted here!!. (Which color did you get?) Mario :-)
I got the black with white fingerboard. You didn't make me spend - I check Ebay pretty regularly for plastic ukes. I had bought one of the Outdoor ukes but sent it back. If it had been $40 I would have kept it, but I really felt it was poorly executed. I almost bought one of the Clearwater ones but with the shipping from the UK it was too expensive.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 09:04 AM
A beautiful choice!...and at a good price. Seems well made. I'm just surprised that the Woodi brand name does not seem to be well know in the "All plastic ukulele community" ;-), players and collectors. But then again, I haven't been looking at all plastic ukes for a long time. Maybe it's a new brand for America...but it's been around for a long time in China or wherever it's from. About the Outdoor Ukulele, yes, it would be somewhat of a dissapointment to pay $100, only to find out that it's somewhat either "unplayable" and poorly executed as you say...amongst other things, the square neck is what kinda threw me off. WHY on earth a square necK? Perhaps it made it less expensive to build or to mold?...
i'll have to take a look at the "Clearwater" (never heard of it) but I KNOW for sure that one day I will own a genuine Maccaferri Islander, it's just a matter of time...and money. Finding one at a descent price AND in "mint" condition. Ukuleles have been a passion for me for a number of years now. Always a fun topic! :-)

I got the black with white fingerboard. You didn't make me spend - I check Ebay pretty regularly for plastic ukes. I had bought one of the Outdoor ukes but sent it back. If it had been $40 I would have kept it, but I really felt it was poorly executed. I almost bought one of the Clearwater ones but with the shipping from the UK it was too expensive.

callmemario
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the reference! "Ukulelia..."another brand name I had never heard of. I'll look it up for sure. :-)

UPDATE: Just looked it up. Yes I am familiar with them. They come in 3 colors and sell for $165. or so. Made in China by a Japanese company called Takumi, (the same company that makes my KTS-4 (Kiwaya)). Thanks anyways.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

callmemario
01-06-2014, 09:32 AM
CLEARWATER Ukulele info:

1) http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84915-Clearwater-ABS-Concert-Ukulele-First-Impressions

2) and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concert-Ukulele-Black-ABS-CLEARWATER/dp/B00EICS82I

Thanks katysax, it will make interesting reading! :-)

Mario
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

UPDATE: All interesting...BUT I just found out it's a CONCERT size uke...
__________________________________________________ ___________

callmemario
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Katysax, LOOK what I found!! I did not know that Mario Maccaferri had designed an Islander "like the one" or similar to the one you just ordered?! That's pretty cool. I found the picture on www.ukesterbrown.com. Mario

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Anybody else notice that the white one looks almost like it has metal frets?
I'm sure that's just the picture, but.

dhoenisch
01-08-2014, 02:49 AM
The ad shows it has nickel brass frets.

I wonder if this uke can be kept in a car. I purchased the Outdoor Uke for that reason alone. I purchased mine from their second run, and it's lived in my car ever since, which in Chicago can get really hot in the summer, and the past two days with -16 and -45 wind chill, it's survived it just fine. That was my deciding factor in my purchase. Yeah, my Flamingo sounded better, but it wouldn't be able to withstand the extreme heat and cold of living in a car. The Outdoor Uke hasn't even batted an eye at that. For $25, I might purchase one just to play around with it and see what kind of a beating, if at all, it can take.

Dan

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 03:41 AM
I would bet against these in harsh conditions. The ODU is a whole lot more than plastic, and can legitimately take a beating.
Plastic is plastic. It might be water proof, but it will crack and melt under adverse conditions.

At that price, though, it looks like some fun for low dollars. I'd try one for sure if it was larger.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 04:01 AM
Just a few days ago when I shared the Woodi brand on this thread, there had no Woodi nickel brass frets ukes availble on eBay...and only two colors to choose from...(except on Woodi's web site). They seem to entering the American market "en force"! Can't wait to hear all the reviews!

Can anybody explain why the "compensated first fret?"...does it need to be so because of the fret board scale lenght?

katysax
01-08-2014, 04:21 AM
Oh my. In my haste to be an early adopter I overpaid by $7. LOL.

I'm considering getting a Woodi since right before Christmas my car was broken into and my ODU was stolen. Luckily that was the only thing of value in my car outside of the change in a cup holder. Right now I they're going on eBay for $25 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261369049399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

katysax
01-08-2014, 04:25 AM
One thing I'll give the ODU is that it is durably made. I'm not expecting this Plastic Woodi to be that durable. I'm hoping it might actually make sounds that could passable be called musical, but I won't be surprised if it can't. If it is even close to say the Makala Dolphin in playability and sound, then it will be fun. It's purely the novelty and cheap price that motivated me to buy it - did not receive it yet.

I would bet against these in harsh conditions. The ODU is a whole lot more than plastic, and can legitimately take a beating.
Plastic is plastic. It might be water proof, but it will crack and melt under adverse conditions.

At that price, though, it looks like some fun for low dollars. I'd try one for sure if it was larger.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 04:41 AM
I'm sorry you got your car broken into...that's no fun and entails more expenses...which nobody needs.

But LOOK at how much price variable differences on these, Hmmm...
If these turn out to be pretty descent, I'm going to have one in every room in the house..and car...and office! ;-)
I would think that with today's technology and advancements that it might not be so bad afterall. If Maccaferri did it in the 50s...WHY on earth can't we do the same...and even better today?
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Oh my. In my haste to be an early adopter I overpaid by $7. LOL.

RichM
01-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Just a few days ago when I shared the Woodi brand on this thread, there had no Woodi nickel brass frets ukes availble on eBay...and only two colors to choose from...(except on Woodi's web site). They seem to entering the American market "en force"! Can't wait to hear all the reviews!

Can anybody explain why the "compensated first fret?"...does it need to be so because of the fret board scale lenght?

Thanks for the heads up! For $25 including shipping, I went for one. I'm not expecting much, but if it can play in tune, it will be a nice knock-around uke. And besides, the black and white one looks pretty cool.

But promise me nobody will start a "I got a Woodi!" thread...

katysax
01-08-2014, 04:46 AM
It's what is known as a "zero fret". Theoretically it aids in intonation and makes tuning easier. It has been used in a number of cheap guitars but is also used sometimes on high end and custom instruments. It's one of those things that can get 100 pages of discussion going any time it gets mentioned on a guitar forum. It seems to inspire all kinds of love and hate. They probably used it on this uke because it does make intonation easier to achieve when manufacturing standards are a little loose.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Hey, no problem! THAT is what I like about the internet and eBay...you NEVER know what you're going to see or find next! There's always nice new discoveries to be made. Ok, so maybe someone will start an "I got a woodi!..." thread";-) but hopefully each one of us will post on this "plastic soprano ukuleles" thread so we can all be well informed of our new discovery and aquisitions.

Did you get the one with the nickel brass frets OR ALL plastic body and fretboard? Just curious, I'm thinking of getting the all white one/ or "beige"/tan color with plastic frets. I want it to be as vintage looking and "plastic" as possible! ;-) Oh, the fun is in shopping, choosing and waiting! :-) Mario
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

Thanks for the heads up! For $25 including shipping, I went for one. I'm not expecting much, but if it can play in tune, it will be a nice knock-around uke. And besides, the black and white one looks pretty cool.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 05:08 AM
It's what is known as a "zero fret". Theoretically it aids in intonation and makes tuning easier. It has been used in a number of cheap guitars but is also used sometimes on high end and custom instruments. It's one of those things that can get 100 pages of discussion going any time it gets mentioned on a guitar forum. It seems to inspire all kinds of love and hate. They probably used it on this uke because it does make intonation easier to achieve when manufacturing standards are a little loose.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

OK, thanks for the informative reply!. Honestly, I had never seen this before on a fretted instrument. There had to be a reason as to why they've decided to incorporate it in their design. I have a feeling we will be more impressed than we think with this little instrument. Besides, why would they have gone through the trouble and great costs of making these available in so many colors schemes, metal or plastic frets?...should be really interesting.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 05:30 AM

:D

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 05:36 AM
This is a fun thread. Mighty tempting to risk a few dollars for the entertainment of seeing what these can do.

Anybody want to speculate on the ability for these to be longer scale? All the plastic ukes seem to be very small sopranos,
which are no longer in my fun zone. What would you think would be the possibility that the same type of plastic design could be applied to a concert or tenor? If there was a tenor Woodi, it would already be on it's way to me.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Anyone else notice that there are two different sellers offering these on the bay at significantly different prices - with the sellers both being in South El Monte, California. Hmmm.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Re: Zero fret

Another big benefit of a zero fret for some instruments is that it makes open and fretted notes sound exactly the same.
That's the big driver for a zero fret.

Makes a whole lotta sense. I actually wonder why more manufacturers don't go that way.

On a bass, there can be a very big difference in the tone attributes of an open string and a fretted note.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Hmmm...good question. You might want to ask WOODI directly and see what they have to say...and let us know. if there enough demand for it, maybe they'll make them available. Mario :-)

http://www.woodiusa.com/product-category/ukulele/
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

This is a fun thread. Mighty tempting to risk a few dollars for the entertainment of seeing what these can do.

Anybody want to speculate on the ability for these to be longer scale? All the plastic ukes seem to be very small sopranos,
which are no longer in my fun zone. What would you think would be the possibility that the same type of plastic design could be applied to a concert or tenor? If there was a tenor Woodi, it would already be on it's way to me.

dhoenisch
01-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Another observation on the zero fret... Any uke I've ever played that was either all plastic, or used a plastic fingerboard has always had a zero fret, some right up against the nut, some a little bit away from it. Must be easier to manufacture them that way. Less room for error maybe?

The Woodi I ordered is the white one with the black fingerboard and nickel brass frets. I'm a soprano guy, so it's right up my alley.

Dan

strumsilly
01-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Macciferri made a baritone [18 inch scale, so really closer to a tenor], so why couldn't they?
I just ordered a black one, $25 shipped, not too much to risk . would make a great kid's gift. better than some stupid toy.

sinus
01-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Did you guys check the new concert Korala PUC? Under €30,- ! There is a review on Youtube...
I want the blue one in my car!!!
Grtz from Holland, Sinus.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Wooow...I guess I would really have to see and hear it for myself. It must definitely have it's use somehow.
...and yes, WHY don't more modern fretted instruments builders incorporate these?! Thanks for the info. Mario
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Re: Zero fret

Another big benefit of a zero fret for some instruments is that it makes open and fretted notes sound exactly the same.
That's the big driver for a zero fret.

Makes a whole lotta sense. I actually wonder why more manufacturers don't go that way.

On a bass, there can be a very big difference in the tone attributes of an open string and a fretted note.

katysax
01-08-2014, 07:33 AM
The Korala looks like something I'd want, but when I looked into it the cost of shipping exceeded the cost of the purchase. Put the two together and you are looking at $80 for a $30 plastic ukulele.

Did you guys check the new concert Korala PUC? Under €30,- ! There is a review on Youtube...
I want the blue one in my car!!!
Grtz from Holland, Sinus.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 07:36 AM
SO, you jumped "in the WOODI wagon";-) YOU took the right decision Captain S. Good for you!! Sounds like the price was right!:-) That lil uke sure looks like fun!. Mario

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. The deciding factor was the $5 in eBay bucks I had. As dumb as it sounds I'll take a risk on something for $20 or less but not $20 or more. I'm weird and irrational.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
You got me curious on this "Zero fret" thingy. I'll have to read up some more about it.

BTW, NICE model you chose. Congrats! :-)
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Another observation on the zero fret... Any uke I've ever played that was either all plastic, or used a plastic fingerboard has always had a zero fret, some right up against the nut, some a little bit away from it. Must be easier to manufacture them that way. Less room for error maybe?

The Woodi I ordered is the white one with the black fingerboard and nickel brass frets. I'm a soprano guy, so it's right up my alley.

Dan

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Macciferri made a baritone [18 inch scale, so really closer to a tenor], so why couldn't they?
I just ordered a black one, $25 shipped, not too much to risk . would make a great kid's gift. better than some stupid toy.

Very true. Really would be a great gift to give a child.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Ok, you're all a bad influence. Couldn't resist.
Black one with white fretboard is on order.

I guess I will be sporting a Woodi soon.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
YEAH! right on! ;-) :shaka:

Ok, you're all a bad influence. Couldn't resist.
Black one with white fretboard is on order.

I guess I will be sporting a Woodi soon.

fowl
01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
I just got a black and white one. Even if it will not hold tune a grandkid will love it.

joesilver
01-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I only just discovered this thread today. I hadn't previously heard of Woodi ukes, nor had I planned to buy a plastic uke, but somehow I was hypnotized into plunking down $25 for a black body/white fingerboard Woodi. I'm looking forward to reading the first review here, so I'll know in advance whether or not I wasted my money!

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 10:17 AM
You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Stagehand
01-08-2014, 11:38 AM
I too just bought a black & white woodi.
'Don't know if anybody else noticed, The Woodi_USA seller on E-bay lists the black with the white neck model as #WDU-21X.
According to the Woodi USA website that model is all black. The b&w model is #WDU-21(BK)
I e-mailed the seller and he ensured me that I will get the black & white model.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Who knew there was an actual Woodi USA website. :D

This is getting more fun by the minute.

Check it out, folks:
http://www.woodiusa.com/product-category/ukulele/

Look at all the colors and designs. We're gonna need to collect them and have multiple Woodies.

joesilver
01-08-2014, 11:55 AM
'Don't know if anybody else noticed, The Woodi_USA seller on E-bay lists the black with the white neck model as #WDU-21X.
According to the Woodi USA website that model is all black. The b&w model is #WDU-21(BK)
I e-mailed the seller and he ensured me that I will get the black & white model.
I did notice the discrepancy, but took it for granted (foolishly?) that the uke would match the description and photo rather than the model number. Glad somebody thought to check!

It's interesting that the WDU-21(BK) sells on the Woodi site for $80! I wonder how long the $25 eBay price will last? I'm hoping that their strategy is to sell to a few early adopters like us at a bargain basement price, allow some positive word-of-mouth to develop, then raise the price once the demand increases. I'd rather that be the case than that these ukes are junk and actually worth only 25 bucks or less. I guess we'll find out soon...

strumsilly
01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
I did notice the discrepancy, but took it for granted (foolishly?) that the uke would match the description and photo rather than the model number. Glad somebody thought to check!

It's interesting that the WDU-21(BK) sells on the Woodi site for $80! I wonder how long the $25 eBay price will last? I'm hoping that their strategy is to sell to a few early adopters like us at a bargain basement price, allow some positive word-of-mouth to develop, then raise the price once the demand increases. I'd rather that be the case than that these ukes are junk and actually worth only 25 bucks or less. I guess we'll find out soon...

ebay page says only 2 black left, get yours while they're hot. I'll pre-sell mine for $80 if you miss the boat. shipping extra. just kidding
I can do a comparison with my Islander when it arrives. paid 2x as much for it though.

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 12:37 PM
ebay page says only 2 black left, get yours while they're hot. I'll pre-sell mine for $80 if you miss the boat. shipping extra. just kidding
I can do a comparison with my Islander when it arrives. paid 2x as much for it though.

We lit up the board. One of the listings now reads: 7 sold in 24 hours

OldePhart
01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
...We're gonna need to collect them and have multiple Woodies.

Must. Not. Go. There. I. Will. Not! Go. There. :rofl:

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 12:44 PM
This one looks very nice in the picture for a plastic uke. Would really like to see it in person:

katysax
01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I already got mine. My preliminary review is posted in the Reviews section.

OldePhart
01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Just ordered one...@katysax maybe I should have read your review, first. :) 'tis okay, though, I figure at $25 I can use it as a paintball target if nothing else. I got it mostly because I think everybody should have one silly cheap plastic toy uke, if only for the entertainment value of dragging it out when company has overstayed their welcome...

John

katysax
01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I don't think I'd discourage anyone from buying one. At the price I don't think anyone is going to feel that bad about it. Some people might even like it. It's actually possible to play music on it, albeit it isn't the highest quality musical instrument around.

Just ordered one...@katysax maybe I should have read your review, first. :) 'tis okay, though, I figure at $25 I can use it as a paintball target if nothing else. I got it mostly because I think everybody should have one silly cheap plastic toy uke, if only for the entertainment value of dragging it out when company has overstayed their welcome...

John

RichM
01-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't think I'd discourage anyone from buying one. At the price I don't think anyone is going to feel that bad about it. Some people might even like it. It's actually possible to play music on it, albeit it isn't the highest quality musical instrument around.

Yup, katysax's review doesn't put me off at all; in fact, it encourages me. It's a $25 plastic uke; I'm not expecting a fine musical instrument. My primary consideration for a supercheap instrument is can it be played, does it intonate properly, and can it be kept in tune. Sounds like it meets all those criteria. Looking forward to getting mine!

UkeKiddinMe
01-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Just catching up to the review. Thank you.
Very happy to hear that the intonation is good.

It's too bad the saddle isn't a drop in. Then we'd have some ability to alter it.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
:agree: ;)

You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

callmemario
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Love to read everyone's comments. You guys are getting funnier by the minute! I just "knew" there had to be excitment talking about "plastic ukes!"... ;-)

callmemario
01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
:agree:
________

We lit up the board. One of the listings now reads: 7 sold in 24 hours

callmemario
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
It does look great. I'm sure the real thing is as nice. They seem to be using silkscreen processing similar to what Kala does on their various colors schemes and designs for their ukes: like their pineapple soprano for example. However, the sound "may be a bit different" from the "naked plastic body" because of the "appliqué" on it. It must be like a very thin tapestry/wallpaper/film of somekind which may dampen the sound. BUT that's my little bit. Who knows... I'm sure it's all good!

This one looks very nice in the picture for a plastic uke. Would really like to see it in person:

callmemario
01-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks for taking your time to write a detailed review on the Woodi!
I was just a little surprised that you would compare it with the Makala dolphin and shark soprano models which both have wooden tops and necks...correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________________________________________ _______

I already got mine. My preliminary review is posted in the Reviews section.

katysax
01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
The Makala Dolphins and Sharks that I've tried recently seemed like plastic body and top. The texture of the Woodi that I have is pretty much exactly like a
Shark. The Shark though has a wooden bridge that is better than the bridge on the Woodi.

joesilver
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, for those who have held out thus far, and who have the patience to wait for an auction to run its course, Woodi is offering white- and black-bodied ukes with a starting bid of one cent (plus 16 bucks shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-DEAL-Woodi-Brand-New-21-Soprano-Plastic-Ukulele-White-/261371006304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdaed0d60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-DEAL-Woodi-Brand-New-21-Soprano-Plastic-Ukulele-Matte-Black-/261371005752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdaed0b38

callmemario
01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Interesting...but the shipping cost I got here is $39.99!...ouch! :-O
__________________________________________________ ______

Well, for those who have held out thus far, and who have the patience to wait for an auction to run its course, Woodi is offering white- and black-bodied ukes with a starting bid of one cent (plus 16 bucks shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-DEAL-Woodi-Brand-New-21-Soprano-Plastic-Ukulele-White-/261371006304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdaed0d60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-DEAL-Woodi-Brand-New-21-Soprano-Plastic-Ukulele-Matte-Black-/261371005752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdaed0b38

katysax
01-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I just added a short clip to youtube so you can hear what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viN8Y62oHBM

RichM
01-09-2014, 08:50 AM
I just added a short clip to youtube so you can hear what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viN8Y62oHBM

Thanks so much! There seems to be a buzzy string in there, but otherwise, that is pretty much the tone I would have expected out of a cheapie instrument. Well worth $25, but probably not worth a whole lot more. Looks pretty, too!

UkeKiddinMe
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.

katysax
01-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Not so much a buzzy string as the action is high enough that it is hard to play cleanly. I think it plays and sounds better than the Outdoor Uke. If the Outdoor Uke had been even this good I would not have sent it back, but I still don't think it's worth more than $25-30. My expectations of a uke in this price range are not high. This one meets the low bar that I set. I would like it better if it were at least as good as Makala Dolphin which is as good as could be expected in this price range.

joesilver
01-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the video, katysax! Including the ubiquitous I-V-vi-IV progression, no less... :)

My black Woodi is on its way to me. I really indulged in wishful thinking when I ordered it, and hoped it might be a modern-day Islander at a cheap price. I've previously bought a few Islanders on eBay, every one of which had issues that rendered them unsatisfactory (and all of which were overpriced, IMO), so I'd pretty much given up on trying to acquire a vintage plastic uke. A really good new plastic uke at 25 bucks would have been a welcome addition, but a mediocre one is just more clutter that my household probably doesn't need. Maybe I'll find a beginner that I can give it to...

RichM
01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
My Mastro (nearly) all-plastic banjo uke is one of my favorite players, so there *are* very good plastic ukes out there!

UkeKiddinMe
01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Not so much a buzzy string as the action is high enough that it is hard to play cleanly. I think it plays and sounds better than the Outdoor Uke. If the Outdoor Uke had been even this good I would not have sent it back, but I still don't think it's worth more than $25-30. My expectations of a uke in this price range are not high. This one meets the low bar that I set. I would like it better if it were at least as good as Makala Dolphin which is as good as could be expected in this price range.

You have been so helpful with your posts.

I know I am pushing my luck on this one :D but - any chance of posting a couple of the neck from the side that will show us
what the action looks like?

UkeKiddinMe
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I was in dialog with Woodi USA today.

The prices we are seeing are introductory only. They are going to go up.
So - if you are curious about these, the prices today are the lowest you are going to see.

katysax
01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I tried taking some video to show the action but it wasn't possible to get a meaningful picture. It isn't a huge gap, but I'd say the distance at the 12th fret is about twice what it should be. Enough that the feeling of the strings gets pretty spongy.

You have been so helpful with your posts.

I know I am pushing my luck on this one :D but - any chance of posting a couple of the neck from the side that will show us
what the action looks like?

UkeKiddinMe
01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I tried taking some video to show the action but it wasn't possible to get a meaningful picture. It isn't a huge gap, but I'd say the distance at the 12th fret is about twice what it should be. Enough that the feeling of the strings gets pretty spongy.

Again, many thanks.

> about twice what it should be.

Ouch.

callmemario
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Thank you katysax for being so generous of your time and contributions/feedback! :-) Mario
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 03:12 AM
Well, mine traveled the country and is now close by. USPS says it will be delivered today, but I'll assume that's not accurate,
since it's still in NJ, and I'm in NY. But, within a coupla days or so, I imagine mine will arrive, and so will many of yours.
Then I can stop bothering katysax :) for the videos and pics.

I will take some pictures of the action and post right after I get it tuned up.

I expect the final landing place of this uke, after evaluation, will be - a donation to someone else.
My daughter recently started work for a non profit for an after school program for high schoolers.
I figure they might have some fun with it.

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Mine is supposedly going to show up today but I highly doubt it. I'm hoping it's playable enough to replace my OU as my travel uke. If not it'll be my "sitting in the pool chair" uke.

Also, in regards to the action being too high at the 12th fret, I wonder if it would be possible to shave down the top of the bridge saddle to lower the string height.

Yes, that has been mentioned. We'll have to see when we can all eyeball it, but -
With a 25 dollar uke, if it seems feasible to shave some of the saddle, I imagine I won't be able to resist. :)

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 04:26 AM
I tried to suggest to Woodi to alter the design to allow for drop in saddles and nuts.
I doubt they have the resources to do that, but, in my book, an inexpensive, plastic uke that actually
looks pretty cool would get a whole lot more market mileage if the saddles and nuts weren't connected and could be altered/replaced.

dhoenisch
01-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Well, mine traveled the country and is now close by. USPS says it will be delivered today, but I'll assume that's not accurate,
since it's still in NJ, and I'm in NY. But, within a coupla days or so, I imagine mine will arrive, and so will many of yours.

I've had two packages "Out for delivery" since Monday. In Chicago, we've had -40 wind chills and snow, and the mail delivery STILL hasn't happened, and that includes regular mail. Supposedly normal mail delivery is supposed to resume today. We'll see.

Anyhow, Mine is supposed to be delivered today, but probably more likely Monday or Tuesday with the slowness of the mail system this week. I planned to purchase one to see how well they played, and donate it to my sister's school. She's looking to purchase 25 ukes for her music programs, and if this one works out, and they stay at $25, maybe she could purchase a bunch of them for her school. With the review though, might not be the best choice, but we'll see.

I am an owner of an Outdoor Uke, and that thing, for me, is a keeper. Action is awesome, and with Aquila Reds, it's decent. For the activities I do, the Outdoor Uke was built for me.

Dan

katysax
01-10-2014, 06:11 AM
My opinion is that the Woodi is a bad choice for a school uke. The Makala Dolphin is not much more expensive and not much different but a much better instrument. I think if you know how to play uke you can adapt to the Woodi's issues, but if you don't the Woodi will not be a fun learning experience.

I've had two packages "Out for delivery" since Monday. In Chicago, we've had -40 wind chills and snow, and the mail delivery STILL hasn't happened, and that includes regular mail. Supposedly normal mail delivery is supposed to resume today. We'll see.

Anyhow, Mine is supposed to be delivered today, but probably more likely Monday or Tuesday with the slowness of the mail system this week. I planned to purchase one to see how well they played, and donate it to my sister's school. She's looking to purchase 25 ukes for her music programs, and if this one works out, and they stay at $25, maybe she could purchase a bunch of them for her school. With the review though, might not be the best choice, but we'll see.

I am an owner of an Outdoor Uke, and that thing, for me, is a keeper. Action is awesome, and with Aquila Reds, it's decent. For the activities I do, the Outdoor Uke was built for me.

Dan

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Well, mine just touched down.

Quickies: impressed with tuners, impressed with look. Can't bring stock strings up to pitch. Looking in the house for another set.

To be continued.

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Well, that was fast. :)

it's still settling and all, but, with the new strings, I think my feelings echo katysax's pretty closely.

The 39 dollar uke I bought for my daughter at Rondo Music is a better choice.

It's a fun novelty, but, I think I stop there.

I don't think I will pass it to my daughter for use at a school. I think I am going to pass it to the first
young child I can find who is interested in strumming a stringed instrument.

katysax
01-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Ha ha ha. I spent about a half hour trying to get the stock strings up to pitch. When I finally got there there they immediately slipped way out of tune. They might be the worst strings I ever experienced. Fortunately it was possible to tune it up when real ukulele strings were used.

Well, mine just touched down.

Quickies: impressed with tuners, impressed with look. Can't bring stock strings up to pitch. Looking in the house for another set.

To be continued.

David Newton
01-10-2014, 08:12 AM
My favorite plastic uke has been the "Davy Crockett Guitar" from the 50's.
Vintage plastic sounds so much better than new plastic, it has broken in, just like wood does, and sounds better the more you play.

http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/storage/post-images/davy%20crockett%20guitar.jpg

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Vintage plastic sounds so much better than new plastic, it has broken in, just like wood does, and sounds better the more you play.

Serious? :D

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, an untapped market. Aged, kiln-dried plastic. Hmmm. ;)

RichM
01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Ha ha ha. I spent about a half hour trying to get the stock strings up to pitch. When I finally got there there they immediately slipped way out of tune. They might be the worst strings I ever experienced. Fortunately it was possible to tune it up when real ukulele strings were used.

I just got mine (much to my surprise, it only took two days!), and you're absolutely right about the strings.... after a certain point, I can turn the tuners all I want and the pitch won't change. Time for a string change...

UkeKiddinMe
01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
I just got mine (much to my surprise, it only took two days!), and you're absolutely right about the strings.... after a certain point, I can turn the tuners all I want and the pitch won't change. Time for a string change...

Yeah - it would have been fun if we had video of all of us trying to do it. Kind of like a Candid Camera stunt. :D

callmemario
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Hmmm... I was really contemplating going on a "Quest for a Maccaferri Islander"...somewhere on eBay. trying to find one that would be in "mint" condition or at least "good" & playable condition, But now, with your comments, I'm not so sure anymore. ;-) But I appreciate your honesty!. You're saving me $$. I had NO idea whatsoever that a descent one was THAT hard to find!!...
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

"I really indulged in wishful thinking when I ordered it, and hoped it might be a modern-day Islander at a cheap price. I've previously bought a few Islanders on eBay, every one of which had issues that rendered them unsatisfactory (and all of which were overpriced, IMO), so I'd pretty much given up on trying to acquire a vintage plastic uke.

joesilver
01-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Hmmm... I was really contemplating going on a "Quest for a Maccaferri Islander"...somewhere on eBay. trying to find one that would be in "mint" condition or at least "good" & playable condition, But now, with your comments, I'm not so sure anymore. ;-) But I appreciate your honesty!. You're saving me $$. I had NO idea whatsoever that a descent one was THAT hard to find!!...

Apparently not impossible, though; I've played some good ones that belonged to other people. And one of the ones that passed through my hands had amazingly low action. Unfortunately, it had flaws. I can't even remember exactly what they were at the moment, but I think there were cracks in hard-to-repair places.

Also, it seems to me that unless you happen to find a great deal on an Islander, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with something like an Ohana.

julie
01-11-2014, 04:14 AM
I've pretty much given up on the idea of finding a nicely playable plastic uke. First I ordered the Outdoor Uke, which was made very well, but sounded pretty bad. Then I ordered an old TV Pal uke from eBay, which wasn't any better sound-wise. I guess if I want a "good" plastic uke I need to go with a Flea.

callmemario
01-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Hmmm... interesting. It's a real question of luck to be able to buy a "good" Islander on ebay without having actually tried it! It must be like gambling, you end up spending quite a few bucks before you end up with a descent Islander...

Concerning Ohana, do they make plastic ukes?!... :confused:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

Apparently not impossible, though; I've played some good ones that belonged to other people. And one of the ones that passed through my hands had amazingly low action. Unfortunately, it had flaws. I can't even remember exactly what they were at the moment, but I think there were cracks in hard-to-repair places.

Also, it seems to me that unless you happen to find a great deal on an Islander, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with something like an Ohana.

David Newton
01-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Quote Originally Posted by David Newton

Serious? :D

No.
But I have played one of the early Mccaferri plastic guitars, and they are seriously good sounding guitars, at least for a plastic guitar.
I think for every good sounding instrument, the difference is not in what it is made of, but how it was made, and by who.

Stagehand
01-11-2014, 05:15 AM
My b&w arrived yesterday evening.
Initial impressions... Heavier than I thought and very solidly built. At the very least I can use it in a game of stick ball or an emergency personal protection device.
As others mentioned the strings are less than wonderful. I was able to get them to pitch with a whole lot of cranking. This morning they seem to reasonably hold tune. They still sound pretty bad. I will be changing them later today. Action is approximately 4 mm at the 12th fret.
Am I disappointed? No; it's what I expected for a $25 plastic uke. That being said With the right strings it will be great to hike with or keep in the car.

Ukejenny
01-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Pages 1-10 of this thread had me prepared to order a Woodi. Then, the last few posts on page 10 and page 11 have me convinced that the Outdoor Uke is the best choice for what I need. I need a soprano to play in car line, when I'm waiting to pick my boys up from school. I don't want anything vintage or frail. I need something I can literally throw in the van and take off with. I'm currently using a Mahalo blue soprano that has horrid intonation.

UkeKiddinMe
01-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Pages 1-10 of this thread had me prepared to order a Woodi. Then, the last few posts on page 10 and page 11 have me convinced that the Outdoor Uke is the best choice for what I need. I need a soprano to play in car line, when I'm waiting to pick my boys up from school. I don't want anything vintage or frail. I need something I can literally throw in the van and take off with. I'm currently using a Mahalo blue soprano that has horrid intonation.

For a travel/car uke, I happen to like this one, which I sell at my site:

OldePhart
01-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Okay, mine (white with black fret board) came today. I don't know what they're using for strings but they're a complete joke. First thing I did was throw on some Aquila "New Nylgut" strings mostly because I don't much like them and there isn't much chance I'll put them on anything else. No sense letting them go completely to waste.

The second thing I did was break out a tube of superglue to fix the loose and buzzing bridge and "rosette" on the sound hole. Took all of 30 seconds to fix that little problem. I suggest that you carefully run a tiny bead of superglue around the rosette and all the way around the bridge before putting decent strings on - that way you don't have to work around the strings. Obviously, avoid the area at the back of the bridge where the strings go - I just glued the little tabs that go into the holes in the top - then glued all across the front and around the decorative little bits at the ends.

Surprisingly, I have to say I'm favorably impressed, considering that it's a $25 plastic uke and I wasn't expecting much to begin with. The first position intonation is a little better than the one Dolphin I've had and much better than the one ODU I've played. That's not to say it's good, and I'll probably take some sandpaper to the molded-in zero fret at some point.

Intonation up the neck is actually about average or a little above (I'm tuned to D right now). That too surprised me.

The action at the 12th is a little high at about 3mm but, honestly, both of my KoAloha concert scale ukes had higher actions when they came from the factory. Of course, with those it's pretty easy to lower the action by sanding the bottom of the saddle. Actually, though, on this uke I don't think I'd want the action much lower - the fret board is almost flush with the top and there is just barely enough room for picking out arpeggios as is. If the action was much lower it would be really hard for me to play without unintentionally tapping the top.

Overall, not something I'd recommend as a first or only uke, but way more than I expected for $25. And, since it looks like the zero fret can probably be sanded down to fix the first-position intonation pretty easily I'd say that I'll take one of these over an ODU any day, even if they were the same price (not saying I'd pay a hundred bucks for one of these, but that I'd pay $30 for one of these before I'd pay $30 for an ODU).

John

katysax
01-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I think there are some variances. Mine is actually better intonated than some of my wooden ukes. The action on mine is more like 4mm at the 12th fret. However, I sent back the ODU, and I wouldn't give you $30 for one. I think this uke is actually slightly better. But the bar isn't set very high.

joesilver
01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Concerning Ohana, do they make plastic ukes?!... :confused:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________
They do have a concert model with a rounded plastic back:

http://www.ohana-music.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29789

However, I meant simply that I believe you get more quality for the money with an inexpensive Ohana or other Asian-made uke than with a vintage plastic instrument. If the going price for Islanders were, say, $50 or less, it might be a different story.

Incidentally, my black Woodi arrived today. I took the strings off right away, thinking that I had a new set of soprano uke strings lying around somewhere. It turned out that I don't, so I have to wait until I have a chance to buy strings before I can try it out.

However, I immediately spotted the design flaw that is responsible for the high action: The neck angle is too shallow. Even if the Woodi had a drop-in bridge saddle, it doesn't look like it would be possible to sand off enough of the saddle to lower the action sufficiently; almost the entire bridge would have to be sanded off, or the entire bridge would have to be replaced with a smaller one, in order to produce reasonable action. (Incidentally, I had this same problem with a much more expensive uke, from a company that shall remain nameless!)

It's a shame; I like the looks of the Woodi, and it seems to be pretty decently constructed. It's heavier than the Islanders I've played, based on my recollection. The tuners feel a bit cheap, but they're not awful. If only the designer(s) had taken a bit more care with the neck angle, this could have been a much better-playing uke.

By the way, the frets don't look like metal to me. I think they're plastic, with metallic paint. The zero fret is definitely plastic, as it's the same color as the fingerboard.

OldePhart
01-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Good catch on the frets - they are indeed plastic with a little gold paint across the top. The paint is already coming off the first couple of frets on mine.

All in all it's definitely in the novelty/toy category but it's a playable toy, unlike some. (Well, with decent strings and just barely playable unless I can bring that zero fret down for better intonation in the first position.)

Again, I don't feel ripped of at $25 but I wouldn't recommend them to others as anything but a novelty.

John

fowl
01-12-2014, 12:35 PM
I got my black and white one yesterday. got rid of the strings put on Aquillas. It sounds a lot better. My bridge and rosette do not appear to be loose. Definately high at the zero fret. I am pretty sure will be sanding it down some.

actadh
01-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I picked up the yellow First Act Discovery plastic soprano ukulele (FG4023) at T.J. Maxx before Christmas. It seems very similar to the Woodi. Originally $34.99, but was marked down to $14.99. (ToysRus has similar ones for $25.) It is the molded plastic body with nylon strings and metal geared tuning pegs.

It took about 2 weeks of constant tuning, but now it doesn't sound bad at all. I practice chords and strumming, and I am working my way through the wonderful online tutorials.

It is the perfect first ukulele for me. I love the size so much at 20"x6"x1.5" that I am considering going with a travel ukulele when I upgrade.

For now, it will be in my car, my office, and riding with me on my kick scooter.

Here is what it looks like - http://www.meijer.com/s/first-act-discovery-ukulele/_/R-227649

callmemario
01-12-2014, 01:54 PM
oh! oh!...another one to go nuts over!! ;-) BUT is it ALL plastic? Sure is a cute one BUT does it play and sound good? Thanks for the reference!

Mario

REVISION/UPDATE: SORRY...it IS NOT ALL Plastic but made of hardwood/plywood according to this: http://www.amazon.com/First-Act-FG4022-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001O0E5TM It's a cute one but would not fit in this ALL Plastic Soprano Ukulele thread. But thanks for sharing.

MORE POST REVISION: Sorry I had the wrong model number. The model that actadh is referring to is the FG4023 and seems to be made of plastic. My apologies to actadh! NOW, let's start going crazy over his new ALL plastic discovery! I'm on to it!;-)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

I picked up the yellow First Act Discovery plastic soprano ukulele (FG4023) at T.J. Maxx before Christmas. It seems very similar to the Woodi. Originally $34.99, but was marked down to $14.99. (ToysRus has similar ones for $25.) It is the molded plastic body with nylon strings and metal geared tuning pegs.

It took about 2 weeks of constant tuning, but now it doesn't sound bad at all. I practice chords and strumming, and I am working my way through the wonderful online tutorials.

It is the perfect first ukulele for me. I love the size so much at 20"x6"x1.5" that I am considering going with a soprano travel ukulele when I upgrade.

For now, it will be in my car, my office, and riding with me on my kick scooter.

Here is what it looks like - http://www.meijer.com/s/first-act-discovery-ukulele/_/R-227649

callmemario
01-13-2014, 06:52 AM
RE: "THINK PLASTIC!" ;-) Hi everyone, please see my edited note in the very first message concerning this thread. Have a great day! Mario

RichM
01-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Good catch on the frets - they are indeed plastic with a little gold paint across the top. The paint is already coming off the first couple of frets on mine.

All in all it's definitely in the novelty/toy category but it's a playable toy, unlike some. (Well, with decent strings and just barely playable unless I can bring that zero fret down for better intonation in the first position.)

Again, I don't feel ripped of at $25 but I wouldn't recommend them to others as anything but a novelty.

John

I have to say, now that I've had mine for a few days, I'm liking it more. The strings have settled in, it holds tune well, and it has a not-unpleasant tone. While I wish it was easier to tweak the setup, it really doesn't play too badly. I declare it $25 well-spent!

callmemario
01-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Well...THAT is refreshing news after hearing about all the disappointments!... Thanks for sharing the encouraging news. However, let's hope they keep the price down because not very many people seem to be ready to pay a lot more for it.

I have to say, now that I've had mine for a few days, I'm liking it more. The strings have settled in, it holds tune well, and it has a not-unpleasant tone. While I wish it was easier to tweak the setup, it really doesn't play too badly. I declare it $25 well-spent!

OldePhart
01-13-2014, 10:34 AM

I think mine is opening up too - it's like five times louder than it was and the intonation is perfect now! NOT! LOL

Seriously, I've actually played mine a fair amount tuned both D and C and my opinion hasn't changed much. Like I said, it's not a terrible uke - I've certainly seen worse selling for more. If you tune it by ear and tune it to favor the unisons like I've mentioned in other threads then it's tolerable for playing C F G Am stuff. I think once I get around to sanding down the zero fret it will be an okay uke to throw in the car.

I'm not really worried about it melting, even though it's not polycarbonate. When you think about all the plastic bits inside your car that last for decades without melting in the sun I think it's silly to think the uke is going to melt. I know there are different types of plastic, but most of the stuff inside your car isn't high-tech and certainly isn't poly-c. In fact, the plastic in the uke looks and feels a lot like the stuff I've seen many radio knobs and window crank knobs made out of.

The strings might not do well in the heat - but I'm betting if I throw some fluorocarbon fishing leaders on it will be fine.

The tone and volume are, of course, not anywhere near being in the same league as my good ukes - but I never expected this to be much more than a novelty so I'm cool with that. The only thing I can't tolerate is poor intonation because that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

John

callmemario
01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
I think once I get around to sanding down the zero fret it will be an okay uke to throw in the car. The only thing I can't tolerate is poor intonation because that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
John
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

John, two things: 1) why would you want to sand off the zero fret?. How is that going to improve the sound or playability?
2) Intonation, could it be because the frets are higher and you could be pressing too much on the frets? I'm just trying to understand.

OldePhart
01-14-2014, 04:37 AM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

John, two things: 1) why would you want to sand off the zero fret?. How is that going to improve the sound or playability?
2) Intonation, could it be because the frets are higher and you could be pressing too much on the frets? I'm just trying to understand.

I won't sand the zero fret off, just lower it some. It is this high zero fret that is causing the intonation problems - it's exactly like a high nut on a uke that doesn't have a zero fret.

The frets are actually quite low, lower than the metal frets on most ukes, in fact. It is just the zero fret that is way too high. This causes intonation to be poor when fingering at the first few frets. It's a very common problem on all inexpensive ukuleles (some worse than others) though in most cases there is no zero fret and one has to file down the string slots in the nut.

Having a zero fret this will actually be easier to fix than ukes where you have to file the nut slots.

John

callmemario
01-14-2014, 04:49 AM
Thanks John, I'll have to look up again the WHY of zero frets...why would they put them on the fretboard if it's useless or causes intonation problems... I'll look it up. Thanks.

I won't sand the zero fret off, just lower it some. It is this high zero fret that is causing the intonation problems - it's exactly like a high nut on a uke that doesn't have a zero fret.

The frets are actually quite low, lower than the metal frets on most ukes, in fact. It is just the zero fret that is way too high. This causes intonation to be poor when fingering at the first few frets. It's a very common problem on all inexpensive ukuleles (some worse than others) though in most cases there is no zero fret and one has to file down the string slots in the nut.

Having a zero fret this will actually be easier to fix than ukes where you have to file the nut slots.

John

dhoenisch
01-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks John, I'll have to look up again the WHY of zero frets...why would they put them on the fretboard if it's useless or causes intonation problems... I'll look it up. Thanks.

The zero fret takes the place of the nut as far as string height. With a zero fret, the nut becomes more of a string guide. With a zero fret, at least with metal frets, it keeps the sound more consistent. Instead of a string being held up against plastic (in a lot of cases), it is held up against metal, therefore, whether the string is played open or fretted, the sound will stay more consistent. Of course, if a bone nut is used, that no longer seems to be an issue, in my humble opinion.

You will see a zero fret on more low end, overseas instruments, though I know a couple of higher end instruments use them. I personally don't like them, mainly because I always feel that if the instrument has a zero fret, it's cheap (quality-wise), though I have been proven wrong in some cases. I still have that mental image though and I, for the most part, always stay away from zero frets.

Dan

gitarzan
01-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Zero frets were BOTH superior if done well and easier to do well than a bone or even plastic saddle.

Lower cost makers used zero frets for that very reason, and therefore the perception that is was cheap or a sign of cheap. Imagine the screams if Martin came out with a zero fret. But it's all perception.

I remember when I first began to play guitar, a friend explaining to me how a zero fret meant it was a cheap guitar. It's hard to shake.

OldePhart
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Done properly they can make the intonation better especially on an inexpensive instrument because it is cheaper to get a zero fret right than it is to file four individual nut slots down by hand. Unfortunately, in this case they made the zero fret too high, kind of a silly mistake when the entire fret board is one piece of molded plastic. If they'd made the zero fret just very, very slightly taller than the first fret, instead of much taller, the first-position intonation would have been great.

Also, with a zero fret you want a sharp break over it - the nut should have been almost immediately behind the zero fret so the angle would be sharper.

It's a classic case of somebody knowing plastics but not knowing the article they're making (same thing happened with the ODU, IMHO). Shortening the neck so the nut and headstock are immediately behind the zero fret, and making the zero fret quite a bit lower than it is, would have made this a pretty darn good uke for something of plastic - without it being any more expensive to produce!

John

RichM
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Zero frets were BOTH superior if done well and easier to do well than a bone or even plastic saddle.

Lower cost makers used zero frets for that very reason, and therefore the perception that is was cheap or a sign of cheap. Imagine the screams if Martin came out with a zero fret. But it's all perception.

I remember when I first began to play guitar, a friend explaining to me how a zero fret meant it was a cheap guitar. It's hard to shake.

Hear, hear. Selmer/Maccaferri guitars made use of a zero fret, as do most of the replicas being made today. They ain't cheap!

actadh
01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
oh! oh!...another one to go nuts over!! ;-) BUT is it ALL plastic? Sure is a cute one BUT does it play and sound good? Thanks for the reference!

Mario

REVISION/UPDATE: SORRY...it IS NOT ALL Plastic but made of hardwood/plywood according to this: http://www.amazon.com/First-Act-FG4022-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001O0E5TM It's a cute one but would not fit in this ALL Plastic Soprano Ukulele thread. But thanks for sharing.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

Mine is all plastic. The link you shared is for a different ukulele - the FG4022 from First Act. Mine is the FG4023 from First Act Discovery (their little kids lineup.)

callmemario
01-14-2014, 04:30 PM
I have updated my post regarding the error I made on your uke. You are right, your model does seem to be made of plastic. Please accept my apologies. Now, let's hear some reviews! :-)

Mine is all plastic. The link you shared is for a different ukulele - the FG4022 from First Act. Mine is the FG4023 from First Act Discovery (their little kids lineup.)

greyghost
01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
After reading this thread, I've decided to join in the fun too. My Woodi should arrive sometime next week (now that I read it, that seems oddly suggestive...)!

joesilver
01-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I finally strung up my new Woodi with Aquila Red Series strings (my first time using them on any uke) and gave it a bit of a workout. I don't think it's the worst uke I've ever played, but I'm disappointed at the missed opportunity. Although an all-plastic uke is never going to have the ultimate tone, the playability could have been so much better with a steeper neck angle and/or a shorter bridge.

On the plus side, I do like the appearance, with the black matte body and off-white fingerboard and bridge. Also, as others have noted, the intonation is decent. I suppose I might find uses for this uke; perhaps it'll make a nice conversation piece at informal jams where precise playing isn't a priority! I'm still hoping that some manufacturer might yet step up and produce a new plastic uke with the quality of the Islander, though.

callmemario
01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm still hoping that some manufacturer might yet step up and produce a new plastic uke with the quality of the Islander, though.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
Thanks for your woodi review.
I fully agree with you that someone, somewhere should, could build a similar sounding and designed Maccaferri Islander?! no?!...WHAT can be so hard about it? Don't we live in an age where everything can be copied or replicated? (Copyright or Patented...just modify a few insignificant details on it and we're in business!! :-) I'll be waiting...but I can only wait so long as "life has an expiration date!" ;-)

joesilver
01-17-2014, 03:38 AM
Just a couple more quick observations about the Woodi, for anyone considering purchasing one:

1. There are no position markers anywhere on the neck. I like the clean look of a fingerboard free of markers, but it would have been nice to have them for reference on the side of the neck at least.

2. Something that I can do with this uke that I'd hesitate to do with other ukes is to strum an open C6 chord and create vibrato by gently bending the neck!

strumsilly
01-17-2014, 05:03 AM
seems to be 2 woody threads, so I'll repost here

just got mine. Has anybody kept the strings on? I just put Aquilla on another uke and they look and act like these. It took forever for the Aquila to settle in and they were really stretchy like these. I wonder how the bridge is attached? It wouldn't be hard to sand it from the other side. I agree with all the comments, nothing really to add. metal frets at least.

update:
it's really not a bad little uke, except for the high action that can't be lowered. I'm thinking of popping the bridge off and replacing it with a wood one with a rreal bone saddle. these can be had for $5 on ebay. I don't think the plastic one can be lowered enough from the back, the action on mine need to come down .25 in., and thatl would get into the string slot.

OldePhart
01-17-2014, 06:13 AM
...metal frets at least...

Look a little closer... :)

Xtradust
01-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Mine is on the way too. They sound too cool not to have one in the car. I think I got the last one that was auctioned on ebay. Looks like he's pricing them as "buy it now" currently. I bought a really nice dark brown soprano with black accents. Got it for $29. There was a bidding frenzy 20 secs til it ended. This one is priced at $36 now.

actadh
01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
I have updated my post regarding the error I made on your uke. You are right, your odel does seem to be made of plastic. Please accept my apologies. Now, let's hear some reviews! :-)

I really like my all plastic ukulele and have been taking it everywhere as a travel uke.

Mine is the yellow First Act Discovery Aloha, but the only difference between it and the "themed" Disney ones are that the Disney ones do not say First Act on the box, but do have a First Act sticker in the sound hole. They have the nylon strings, fretboard markers, and the geared tuners, as does mine.

I just picked up two of the all plastic Disney ukuleles for $19.97 each at Walmart- they are labeled as 4 string "guitars". Good for grandkids to practice chords, or to leave at their house for me to use.

I think they sound best when softly strummed, so are good for practicing. I am not at the performance level yet, but this is a YouTube posting of the Monsters University plastic ukulele - same as the ones I just bought at the box store. The picture shown at the beginning of the video has visible screws in the fretboard, but none of mine are like that. Edit - just wanted to clarify that this is not my video, so I hope there are no infringement issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAYb_JZsKak&list=UUT5fuKas3iaVyy55Twbyt9g&feature=c4-overview

UkeKiddinMe
01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I really like my all plastic ukulele and have been taking it everywhere as a travel uke.

Mine is the yellow First Act Discovery Aloha, but the only difference between it and the "themed" Disney ones are that the Disney ones do not say First Act on the box, but do have a First Act sticker in the sound hole. They have the nylon strings, fretboard markers, and the geared tuners, as does mine.

I just picked up two of the all plastic Disney ukuleles for $19.97 each at Walmart- they are labeled as 4 string "guitars". Good for grandkids to practice chords, or to leave at their house for me to use.

I think they sound best when softly strummed, so are good for practicing. I am not at the performance level yet, but this is a YouTube posting of the Monsters University plastic ukulele - same as the ones I just bought at the box store. The picture shown at the beginning of the video has visible screws in the fretboard, but none of mine are like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAYb_JZsKak&list=UUT5fuKas3iaVyy55Twbyt9g&feature=c4-overview

Wow. The Monsters uke sounded great.

callmemario
01-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the video and review. Looks like a fun uke for the money! :-)

I think they sound best when softly strummed, so are good for practicing. I am not at the performance level yet, but this is a YouTube posting of the Monsters University plastic ukulele - same as the ones I just bought at the box store. The picture shown at the beginning of the video has visible screws in the fretboard, but none of mine are like that.

Xtradust
01-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I got the "Woodi" I bought on ebay and I'm shocked how well made and sturdy it is. I wasn't thinking they were going to be anywhere near as nice as they are. I bought a dark brown wood grain with a black fingerboard and black accents. It looks just like a regular uke. Everyone I show it to says, "Seriously, it's not wood?" It doesn't sound like Kala Soprano or a Makala Pineapple, so far. But it sounds better than any "ABC store" type wood uke I've played. I haven't changed the strings yet. The strings that came on it are white GHS-like and are pretty weak. I have some Aquilas ordered that should be here tomorrow. I think they're going to make a big difference. Best $26 I've spent on a uke! (Btw, I have nothing to do with any uke company whatsoever.)

greyghost
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
I just got my Woodi today! I got the matte black, white fretboard model. I share Xtradust's reaction--this thing is MUCH nicer than I expected for $25 (including priority mail shipping!). It's very elegant in appearance, and actually sounds pretty good (not anywhere near as plasticky or plinky as I expected), and that's before my planned string change. I've got a couple of sets of titaniums on the way to try out--I'll post a clip once I've got them on it. The stock strings aren't as terrible as I expected, though. The black factory strings that came on my Dolphin have set my expectations very low for that sort of thing.

UkeKiddinMe
01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Had anyone tried any mods, like sanding to the zero fret or saddle?

I'm pretty sure the zero fret and saddle are hollow, so sanding might just cut a hole in it. :)

Who's going first? :)

dhoenisch
01-22-2014, 03:13 AM
I got my Woodi late last week after sitting in the post office for a week and a half. I took it out of the box, and immediately installed some Aquila Nylguts. The very first thing I noticed was how thick the neck was. I wasn't fascinated with the uke, but I didn't hate it either. The zero fret is a little high, but I left it alone. The action is a little high, but not too bad. I strummed it a bit, and wasn't unimpressed, but not impressed either. It's about what I expected. It is a bit on the quiet side, but it could be why there wasn't that string slap I expect from plastic ukes. So, after a little while strumming it, and my hand getting a little tired of that chunky neck, I gave it to my little sister, who actually makes that thing sound nicer than her current uke. She had a much easier time handling this uke than her Mahalo. So, it's now her uke. Hey, $25 was worth it for my own curiosity.

Dan

kvehe
01-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Mine arrived yesterday - the black body/light fretboard model. I put D'Addario titanium strings on it, which helped a lot. It's quite sturdily built. The action is crazy high. I actually prefer my Outdoor Uke (with Aquila reds) but if I didn't have either one and someone said, "Okay, you can have the Outdoor Uke for $100 or the Woodi for $25," I think I'd buy the Woodi and spend the $75 on something else. I think.

dhoenisch
01-24-2014, 03:17 AM
...I actually prefer my Outdoor Uke (with Aquila reds) but if I didn't have either one and someone said, "Okay, you can have the Outdoor Uke for $100 or the Woodi for $25," I think I'd buy the Woodi and spend the $75 on something else. I think.

Yeah, but can you leave a Woodi in the car when temps hit -16F with a -48F windchill, or when summer temps hit 100F? I'll take the Outdoor Uke any day.

Dan

P.S., I also set up my Outdoor Uke with Aquila reds. They seem to be the best strings for those ukes.

kvehe
01-24-2014, 08:33 AM
True, but I wouldn't do either of those things. So don't ask why I have an Outdoor Uke in the first place, because other than being swept up in the feeding frenzy, I don't really know. Kind of like why I have a Woodi. :)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you like the Aquila reds too.

strumsilly
01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

I'm pretty sure the zero fret and saddle are hollow, so sanding might just cut a hole in it. :)

no, but I have a new bridge coming[$5 with bone nut and saddle] and am thinking of popping the bridge and gluing the new one on. Yea, the strings were sttretchy, but I persevered and after a week they have settled in nicely. They look and act like Aquila to me. I don't think shaving the 0 fret will be a problem, I can't imagine plastic that thin would be hollow. the bridge however...

OldePhart
01-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Are we talking about the Woodi? If so I plan to sand some off the top of the zero fret when I get around to it. I don't think it's hollow. Usually they use pieces with hollows to save plastic but the zero-fret is so thin I don't think you would save much by making it hollow. The nut is more likely to be hollow, though.

John

fowl
01-25-2014, 09:22 AM
I sanded the zero fret on my woodi, it is solid and also filed some notches in the saddle to lower the action at both ends. It sounds quite a bit better now. I lost the echo sound mine had before. My four year old grandson was playing with it and having a great time. And I don't have to worry about him breaking it. A good $25 spent!

callmemario
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
"The very first thing I noticed was how thick the neck was... So, after a little while strumming it, and my hand getting a little tired of that chunky neck," Dan

I fully agree with you Dan, I HATE thick round uke necks! The flatter and thinner the better like my Kiwaya or Outdoor Ukulele. BUT then again, it's always a matter of personal opinion. Mario

Kayouker
01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
$35. Great action, great intonation, no set-up or alterations required. Compares favorably with our Kala 15S and Ukadelic. Many positive comments by UUr's and a favorable sound check by the Ukisociety.

And as close to plastic as you can get...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92412-Schoenhut-5400

callmemario
01-29-2014, 05:00 AM
I am so sorry that I have not entitled this thread "The ALL plastic Soprano Ukulele" thread!`(with the exception of the tuners)
We are getting many interesting comments, but I sure wish we could stick with the objectives of this thread:
Like, "let's talk about ALL PLASTIC ukes!!", likes and dislikes, models, intonation, action, sound, price,strings, finish, attention to details,service, warranties,etc...
Thanks to all! :-)

Mario

Kayouker
01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
I am so sorry that I have not entitled this thread "The ALL plastic Soprano Ukulele" thread!`(with the exception of the tuners)
We are getting many interesting comments, but I sure wish we could stick with the objectives of this thread:
Like, "let's talk about ALL PLASTIC ukes!!", likes and dislikes, models, intonation, action, sound, price,strings, finish, attention to details,service, warranties,etc...
Thanks to all! :-)

Mario

Ooops. You are right, you qualified your OP with the goal of an "inexpensive", "all plastic" that "plays decently". If that was your goal, I think you've gotten your answer.

There really isn't one, despite 16 pages of thinking about, seeking, finding, buying and playing with your Woodi. Reminds me of the commercial for the blue pill - if you get an one for more than four hours, please contact your doctor...

And thank him...

callmemario
01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't own a "Woodi ukulele"...not yet anyways. Cheers! Mario
__________________________________________________ ____

Ooops. You are right, you qualified your OP with the goal of an "inexpensive", "all plastic" that "plays decently". If that was your goal, I think you've gotten your answer.

There really isn't one, despite 16 pages of thinking about, seeking, finding, buying and playing with your Woodi. Reminds me of the commercial for the blue pill - if you get an one for more than four hours, please contact your doctor...

And thank him...

joesilver
02-06-2014, 05:54 AM
...I have a new bridge coming[$5 with bone nut and saddle] and am thinking of popping the bridge and gluing the new one on....
Did you do it? If so, what was the result?

OldePhart
02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I pulled my Woodi out yesterday and took the fret-crowning file to that zero fret. It's better now...in the range of tolerable...but I still need to lower it a bit more. At least with the high bridge it is nowhere near buzzing. LOL

It's really a shame that the person that designed this didn't really understand fretted instruments. When you use a zero fret it should be about the same height as the other frets. Instead, the zero fret on this thing is about four times as tall as the rest of the frets - as if it was a nut instead of a zero fret.

Next time I get ambitious I'll take the zero fret down some more and then it should actually be a decent beater - more than decent considering the price.

John

joesilver
03-30-2014, 06:10 AM
I too have filed down the zero fret and bridge "saddle" on my Woodi, and also found that it seems to have helped a bit - I think, maybe... I might try a bit more filing on the bridge, but I'm afraid to take too much more off the zero fret, for fear that I'll end up with fret buzz at the first fret, along with action that will still be nowhere near what I'd call "low."

After having owned this uke and played it for a while, I've concluded that the real problem, moreso than the shallow neck angle, might be that the neck bends forward under string tension. If I hold the uke body in one hand and the headstock in the other, and apply gentle backward pressure to the headstock, the neck becomes straighter and the strings lie closer to the fingerboard. Alas, of course there's no way to hold the neck in this manner while playing! I wonder how Maccaferri got around this problem with the Islander ukes? Maybe he used a more rigid plastic for his necks than that which is used for the necks on the Woodi ukes?...

actadh
03-30-2014, 06:24 AM
I restrung one of the First Act ukuleles over the weekend with Aquila Nylgut. I found the geared tuners sub par as I had to hold them down while rewinding. The three year old thought the final result was awesome, however, and played it all weekend. It did seem to hold the gCEA tuning after a day.

The First Act models seem to be lesser quality overall than the First Act Discovery models in the tuners and the factory strings. I still have the original strings on my First Act Discovery, but want to swap them with Martin M600's to compare with the Nylgut.

UKEonomics
03-30-2014, 06:37 AM
I have a couple of older plastic ukes...one TV Pal that's not in such good shape. Sounds great, but the neck is bowing (pretty common with these older ones). I also have a Flamingo that's in almost perfect condition that I like very much. A lot of fun to play around on these two.

I haven't had the opportunity to play the Outdoor Ukulele yet...I've heard both good and bad on it. I did get one of those new Aqulele BugsGear plastic ukes the other day for review and I'm pretty amazed at both the sound and the solid construction.

bnolsen
03-30-2014, 07:41 AM
I did get one of those new Aqulele BugsGear plastic ukes the other day for review and I'm pretty amazed at both the sound and the solid construction.

you could put a serious hurt on someone with one of thse and not hurt the ukulele atall!

callmemario
04-14-2014, 06:43 AM
UGH!...now THAT doesn't sound right. The zero fret "thingy" and the bent neck: Especially if there is absolutely no way to correct this flawed structural design. :-(

I too have filed down the zero fret and bridge "saddle" on my Woodi, and also found that it seems to have helped a bit - I think, maybe... I might try a bit more filing on the bridge, but I'm afraid to take too much more off the zero fret, for fear that I'll end up with fret buzz at the first fret, along with action that will still be nowhere near what I'd call "low."

After having owned this uke and played it for a while, I've concluded that the real problem, moreso than the shallow neck angle, might be that the neck bends forward under string tension. If I hold the uke body in one hand and the headstock in the other, and apply gentle backward pressure to the headstock, the neck becomes straighter and the strings lie closer to the fingerboard. Alas, of course there's no way to hold the neck in this manner while playing! I wonder how Maccaferri got around this problem with the Islander ukes? Maybe he used a more rigid plastic for his necks than that which is used for the necks on the Woodi ukes?...

callmemario
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
SAD...I was planning on buying one, but most people seem really dissapointed with the Woodi. But I would rather know than waste NOW $60.00!!! PLUS $24.00 shipping. OUCH! WHY can't they make things the right way "like they used to?..." :-(

Thanks.
Mario
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

I filed down the zero fret and saddle and it still doesn't play in tune. Better but not great. I scored a great deal on an Islander which sounds great and plays in tune so the Woodi will be turned into a clock or maybe a planter.

pixiepurls
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a Makala Dolphin. I tried a Flea recently I was not impressed, I preferred the Dolphin. Only tried one though so it could have been a "fluke" ehem no pun intended. Huge cost difference also between those two IMHO.

bnolsen
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
I have a Makala Dolphin. I tried a Flea recently I was not impressed, I preferred the Dolphin. Only tried one though so it could have been a "fluke" ehem no pun intended. Huge cost difference also between those two IMHO.

A well setup dolphin thats not a dud is a traditional sounding and decently playing ukulele. The flea and fluke have a different sound and fretbard that can turn people off. I personally like their playability and poly fretboard but understand the complaints about their sound. Quality is very, very consistent, customer support is great.

callmemario
04-15-2014, 03:00 AM
That's interesting. But they are not totally made of plastic. Tops are made of wood and the same goes for the bridge and I forget what else.

UKEonomics
04-15-2014, 05:44 AM
you could put a serious hurt on someone with one of thse and not hurt the ukulele atall!

Haha. Perhaps they should work on some new branding. "the perfect uke for the perfect crime!"

strumsilly
04-15-2014, 06:17 AM
SAD...I was planning on buying one, but most people seem really dissapointed with the Woodi. But I would rather know than waste NOW $60.00!!! PLUS $24.00 shipping. OUCH! WHY can't they make things the right way "like they used to?..." :-(

Thanks.
Mario

turned mine into a wall hanger, I was going to try to "adjust " it, but will probably give it away to a very young child as a "toy"

callmemario
05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Interesting!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

A review of the Bugs Gear plastic uke was just posted on Got A Ukulele's website. I'm intrigued by these but not sure if I want to spend $90 on one.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/04/bugsgear-aqulele-ukulele-review.html

callmemario
05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
WOODI SOPRANO UKULELE: HOW ABOUT HEARING/READING SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS LITTLE GUY!! :-)

There seems to be some negativity around this instrument....so I thought I would give my own appreciation for this this little uke who has found it's place amongst my little uke family for it's tonal differences and characteristics. I've had it for a few weeks...and I LOVE IT!!!! :-) (Woodi Brand New 21" Soprano Plastic Ukulele Wood Simulated 3 Black Fingerboard)

1) Very nice finish and attention to details.

2) Well built and crafted. Good design.

3) I have never played a ukulele with a "Zero fret", but I think it is
great!! Very smooth action, excellent spot on intonations and excellent
action with the very small fret gauge. Personally, I think on this
instrument, the Zero fret is brilliant!!

4) There is a very good feel to the neck and extra smooth fingerboard.

5) The tuning keys/pegs are very nice and function very well. Love the
Black pegs/buttons and silver finish with center black screw.
Gives a higher quality look to the uke!

6) Stock strings are fine, they may well be Aquila Nylgut strings (that's my
opinion). Gives it a very soft and "deep Concert uke sound" to it.
Eventually, I may try Fluorocarbon strings because they
usually give an instrument a brighter and clearer sound and they are
a bit slimmer/the gauge of the strings are smaller, therefore making
them easier to fret the strings.

7) Sustain is alright. It is not a loud instrument but it does the trick.

8) It even has an arched/curved back for better sound projection. Bravo!

9) Fingerpicking and strumming is very nice.

10) It's also great for the outdoors or to bring to work where there is air
conditionning. Besides having to re-tune it, I really don't think the instrument will be affected by temperature changes and
can be played most everywhere!

11) It will not crack or warp and does not need to be humidified which is
nice and stress free.

12) The only thing that might be improved in future Soprano Woodi designs is
an adjustable bridge saddle and nut so that the string action may
lowered slightly but still, in my view, a VERY enjoyable instrument to play with a voice of it's own.

For those of you who are passionate about plastic ukuleles, I think it is well worth the money and would not hesitate
buying a second one.

Let us hear about those of you who love it! :-)

Life is short, enjoy every second of it...with a ukulele in hand, preferably!! ;-)

Mario

PhilipKwak
05-05-2014, 07:37 AM
That's not correct info. It's for international shipment plus Clip tuner and strap.
USA MSRP is $69

Philip

A review of the Bugs Gear plastic uke was just posted on Got A Ukulele's website. I'm intrigued by these but not sure if I want to spend $90 on one.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/04/bugsgear-aqulele-ukulele-review.html

bonesigh
05-05-2014, 08:14 AM
I just got one of the Bugs Gear ukes and I'm quite fond of it. It's a keeper for a travel uke. It did cost me 90 bucks though! I've got low g on mine. You can check out the sound here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWFHIFYfEWo&list=UUtvw_jkcOb--odK8_2JYyvw

PhilipKwak
05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
O.K I will put USA MSRP $69.95 below that and can you please correct its including clip tuner and strap?
Philip

Not trying to start a fight but you may want to check your website (highlighting is my own).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CaptainSimian/a35064bb-c624-46c1-87b3-e3ec1a154a86_zpsc077ceae.jpg

callmemario
05-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone! Here's my review on the Woodi all plastic soprano ukulele. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYjtM-PIzQ

callmemario
05-15-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't have a Maccaferri...just yet;-) but I know Aquila Nylgut strings are VERY subject to temperature,humidity/dryness changes. Other than Aquilas I also use Fluorocarbon strings. Since it is not primarily a nylon material, strings seem to keep more in tune (once they've settled in after a few days). Intonation is great and I find the gauge to be much lighter than Aquilas.

I kind of hate myself for asking this but here goes... Maccaferri owners, what strings are you using on your ukes? I think mine has some older nylon strings that I like the sound of but the intonation seems to be getting a little wonky because of all the temperature changes we've had recently. I have some black Hilo concert nylons that I'm considering but am also thinking about getting some Aquilas on there. Thoughts?

UKISOCIETY
05-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I kind of hate myself for asking this but here goes... Maccaferri owners, what strings are you using on your ukes? I think mine has some older nylon strings that I like the sound of but the intonation seems to be getting a little wonky because of all the temperature changes we've had recently. I have some black Hilo concert nylons that I'm considering but am also thinking about getting some Aquilas on there. Thoughts?

I think Martin Flurocarbons sound best on my old plastics.

CountryMouse
05-31-2014, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone! Here's my review on the Woodi all plastic soprano ukulele. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYjtM-PIzQ

Skimming through this thread, so I might've missed it: what strings do you have on the Woodi in your video? I am thinking of getting one!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
05-31-2014, 03:49 AM
I would read through this thread carefully before buying a Woodi; some of us got good ones, others not so much.

I've watched some video reviews since I posted and am probably not going to buy one: action probably too high for my taste, plus UkesterBrown said it has a "new car smell". Ick.

Thanks for the caution! :)

CountryMouse

katysax
05-31-2014, 07:17 AM
I've had my Woodi a while now and I think it is not so bad for what it is. From a sound perspective it has almost no ring, chime or sustain and is a bit thuddy, but I can get it to sound musical. The action is too too high. Because it is a soprano I don't find the tension that uncomfortable, but I do feel like my fingers are pushing through too much rubbery space when I play. If I'm not careful it's easy to get bad intonation. However, not so bad for such cheap price for something I can thrown in the car no matter how hot it is outside. It's still significantly better and cheaper than the Outdoor uke that I returned. My initial negative impressions are somewhat tempered by having had it a while and adjusting to its quirks.

Peterjens
05-31-2014, 08:05 AM
I think Martin Flurocarbons sound best on my old plastics.
I use Martin M600 because I always have a set around.

Does anybody with an Islander have an issue with the fretboard not being bonded completely with the neck? My Islander creaks because it is loose - not properly glued. I tried to pop it apart but feared I would crack something or other. So I ran a bead of super glue along the bottom seam to bond it. I am glad I chose the bottom because the bead melts the seam and doesn't completely run down into the seam. I had to take a fine grit nail file and file off the bead. It ruined the glossy finish but I am not a perfectionist (especially when I play). I am glad I didn't chose the topside. The bond worked for a while but now I can hear a slight creak on the topside. I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Peterjens
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
According to this site an epoxy of some sort may be the way to go with repairing plastic ukes.

http://chordmaster.org/fixtips.html
Thanks for the tip.

callmemario
06-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Hi, I've got the original strings on. If I compare them to other Aquila Nylgut strings I've got on certain sopranos that I have, I have the feeling that they are Aquilas. Now for a brighter sound I may eventually try the Living Water Fluorocarbon strings. I really think each instrument needs their own unique set of strings to bring out the most from the instrument. Unlike many uke players who instantly change the strings on a new instrument, the way I usually go about it, If the original strings pleases me, I will not change them till my ear desires something else.

Skimming through this thread, so I might've missed it: what strings do you have on the Woodi in your video? I am thinking of getting one!

CountryMouse

OldePhart
06-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I can pretty much guarantee it's not Aquila strings that come on the Woodi - at least not on the one I bought. The strings that came on it were white but that's about all they share in common with Aquila - in fact I replaced them with Aquila strings and the difference was very, very noticeable (and I'm not even a particular fan of Aquila strings).

The strings that came on my Woodi seemed to be some kind of very stretchy white plastic. I've never seen strings stretch as much as those did, nor feel as "spongy" when they finally came up to pitch.

John

David Newton
06-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Totally off-topic of plastic ukes, but I think a lot of the Chinese ukes that I see coming with Aquilas, and have a Aquila "hang tag" on them are counterfeit strings. Stretchy white plastic is a good description of them.

theabsurdman
06-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I have 2 vintage plastic ukes: a Mauna loa and the Selco-made 'The Columbian'. Unfortunately both have necks that bend up making the action too high at the 12th fret; in the case of the Mauna Loa making it almost unplayable.
Any suggestions for bending the necks straight again?
I was thinking of clamping and heating with a hot water bath or maybe a hairdryer.
And/Or aralditing a flat aluminium bar inside the necks to stiffen them.
I have also seen a fix that invoked prying off the fretboard, filling down the neck and re-gluing, which seems like a big and messy job.
Any other suggestions, or success stories? Or am I going to have to improvise a solution?

Pukulele Pete
06-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Geez , do we really need more stuff made from plastic ?

David Newton
06-02-2014, 03:12 AM
With all the emerging wood-use government restrictions? Yes, get used to more and more replacement synthetic materials.

Geez , do we really need more stuff made from plastic ?

Pukulele Pete
06-02-2014, 04:25 AM
With all the emerging wood-use government restrictions? Yes, get used to more and more replacement synthetic materials.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_debris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_debris)

Just do a search for plastic debris and the harm it is doing. I dont want to sound like a nut but ,................. Lets grow more trees instead.

callmemario
06-02-2014, 05:08 AM
That's interesting John. You could well be right. I love your description! very true!;-) "The strings that came on my Woodi seemed to be some kind of very stretchy white plastic. I've never seen strings stretch as much as those did, nor feel as "spongy" when they finally came up to pit".

I can pretty much guarantee it's not Aquila strings that come on the Woodi - at least not on the one I bought. The strings that came on it were white but that's about all they share in common with Aquila - in fact I replaced them with Aquila strings and the difference was very, very noticeable (and I'm not even a particular fan of Aquila strings).

The strings that came on my Woodi seemed to be some kind of very stretchy white plastic. I've never seen strings stretch as much as those did, nor feel as "spongy" when they finally came up to pitch.

John

callmemario
06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
She's a beaut!! ;-) Congratulations! :-)

In the throes of my depression over the Flea tenor I just bought, I just bought a TV Pal off eBay. It was too good a deal to pass up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/xCEAAMXQuCdTjddP/$_57.JPG

callmemario
06-04-2014, 04:47 PM
BTW Captain Simian, what happened with your Flea Tenor?...

She's a beaut!! ;-) Congratulations! :-)

theabsurdman
06-05-2014, 06:09 AM
When it showed up it had a couple of issues the seller glossed over. I'm waiting for them to e-mail me a return slip from UPS.

Let me guess ... Sound board bellied-out and neck bent?

callmemario
06-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Nice Flamingo uke!! I LIKE IT!!!! VERY NICE!! :-)
I also liked you funny story! ;-)

_

Wife: Seriously? You bought another one?

Me: You're the one put the idea in my head to get eBay alerts as soon as something new I wanted was listed. By the way, your Barbie slumlord playset showed up.

Wife: DREAM HOUSE! I hate it when you call it that!

Me: Explain to me why you got a 2nd one again.

Wife: Barbie and Ken have hit a rough patch. They need some time apart.

Me: Freak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CaptainSimian/Ukuleles/FlamingoUke01_zpsabef70b9.jpg

Captain Simian
06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Post Deleted

callmemario
06-12-2014, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Simian;1537128]A quick family portrait of my plastic ukes. A Flamingo with a couple of Islanders on either side. The TV Pal I got off eBay has been returned due to being damaged during shipping.

WOW!! nice collection Captain! :-)