Self-repair crack on cheap ukulele

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've neglected some of my instruments a bit since I went off to college. One of these is an old 1960ish solid mahogany soprano. I paid $50 for it and while I like it a lot, it isn't anything special value-wise. It has a few small, hairline cracks. They don't buzz but I'd like to take care of them before they grow larger.

I'd imagine having them professionally repaired would cost more than the instrument, and I'm pretty tight on money. What would be best to use to repair them at home? It doesn't have to look perfect, it just has to work. If I can get the materials from Home Depot, even better.I've searched and seen hide glue recommended, but I'd have to buy a lot more than I'd need and have it shipped here.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Last edited:
Quick and easy fix on a cheap uke? Thin ca glue.
(I'll probably get dope slapped for saying that! haha)

I think you mean Chuckie, if I said that I would be ripped...:) you however got way more clout and respect than I would ever get..

Check out "Frets.com" , there is even a source for small quantities of hide glue.

If this is indeed a cheap uke, just use Titebond or as Chuck says, thin CA. There is nothing sacred about using hide glue on cheap ukes.

Top Bottom