PDA

View Full Version : On a hanger? In the case? Where do you store your 'ukulele when not playing it?

Preacher
01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I read somewhere that putting your uke on a hanger is a good idea so it's easily accessible and you'll be inclined to play it more often. This sounds logical to me and I'm thinking of getting some sort of wall hanger thingy to do that with.

But I'm concerned that because I live in an area that has very cold, very dry weather for a good chunk of months, that could be detrimental to my uke. (And my house is pretty drafty on certain days when the wind is blowing from a certain direction.) So, should I keep the instrument stored away in the case at all times, or is it OK to let it be out in the open? Our air IS really dry here in the winter.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Best place for an uke IMO is in it's case. For the environmental reasons that you noted and for safety ones as well. Having said that, I have several wall hangers that I don't care about and they never get played. My better ukes are in their cases.

dirtiestkidever
01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I can definitely attest to the fact that keeping them out and on hangers results in more playing. But when I lived in Wisconsin my hands would get so dry in the winter that my knuckles would bleed. That can't be good for a uke. May you can keep the Kamaka in a case but buy yourself a Kiwaya KS-1 (http://www.theukulelesite.com/kiwaya-ks-1-mahogany-soprano.html) to keep out and about. I almost wish I lived in a dry climate so i could justify buying one myself.

mm stan
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Best place for an uke IMO is in it's case. For the environmental reasons that you noted and for safety ones as well. Having said that, I have several wall hangers that I don't are about and they never get played. My better ukes are in their cases.
Yup, You dont have to worry about nicks, dust, grease and grime, temperture and humidity...if it's a premimum or custom ukes...
but if it's just a banger uke, leave um out....for reasons you stated... :)

sukie
01-05-2014, 06:15 PM
You live in Wisconsin? You should really leave your ukuleles in cases with humidifiers. At least from September to June. I don't worry too much when the humidity is high, but in the winter? Too dry, I think.

kohanmike
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I live in Los Angeles, and I have six ukes that I was keeping in gig bags with little humidifiers that I had to refill often. Then I was on the forum here and saw a cabinet someone made to store their ukes with a humidifier system. I thought about it for a while and felt that hanging them would work better for me, get them out of the way and eliminate the need for many cases.

So I cleared a bookshelf and hung the ukes, then I found a couple of trays for water and placed them on the shelf under the ukes, got a hygrometer that I hung behind them. When the weather dries out, I refill the trays more often, but not anywhere near I had to with the little ones in the cases. If it gets a little too humid, I put a cover over the trays. So far I've kept the humidity between 35 to 55%. If it ever gets out of that range, I plan on putting glass doors on the shelf.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/Uke shelf 2.jpg

Steveperrywriter
01-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I have dogs, and once, had big dogs, so my guitars were kept cased. A hundred and fifteen pounds of excited German Shepherd Dog thundering to the window after the s-q-u-i-r-r-e-l, (couldn't even say that word aloud, and after a while, she learned how to spell it) precludes instruments laying about or on a stand. Kept the habit with my ukes, even though the dogs are smaller, there are still grandchildren.

Safe in the case, which is why they make them, hey?

Fine to showcase them like kohanmike does, or if you don't have critters or kids, prop them up here or there, but is there anybody here who really feels like playing but doesn't because, you know, it's just too much trouble to flip a couple latches and uncase your uke? Not to be snarky, but seriously ...?

Steve

consitter
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I have a wall hanger, but the only time it gets used is when I go to the bathroom, or otherwise have to put my uke down during a playing session. Other than that, in the case it goes. As someone else on the thread said, that's what they're made for.

Five Ways
01-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Always in there cases, safest place no contest.

savagehenry
01-05-2014, 11:55 PM
I have all of them hanging on the wall. I think I play them more because it's easy to grab one. Don't have low humidity problems in Florida.

cigarfan
01-06-2014, 01:01 AM
My ukes are solid wood (except 2) and they remain in their cases for humidification purposes. The other 2 are composite materials and they typically sit out on stands where I can grab them up any time I feel the urge.

PhilUSAFRet
01-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Evidently, all over the damned place :confused:

cigarfan
01-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Evidently, all over the damned place :confused:

Have you been talking to your wife again?

hammer40
01-06-2014, 03:02 AM
It would be nice to have a cabinet built or converted to store them in. That way you can keep it humidified, and they will be out of the way and protected. There was a thread here recently where others posted pics of their cabinets. I thought it was a great idea, now that I have a few ukes.

BlueSockMonkey
01-06-2014, 03:26 AM
I live in Memphis, where our year-round average relative humidity is well over 60%--but running the air conditioner or furnace means the air inside my home is usually much drier. So my two solid wood ukes live in their cases with humidifiers when they aren't being played. The cedar-topped laminate koa sits in a Kala Stand-Out on top of a cabinet my cat can't reach; the plastic Makala Dolphin hangs from a wall hook.

Doesn't matter where the ukes are; I'm motivated enough to want to play whether I can see them or not. :)

UkerDanno
01-06-2014, 03:48 AM
I would definitely keep that Kamaka in a humidified case with an oasis humidifier!

I keep my Martins in cases, the C1K humidified and since the style 0 has been in Arizona for a long time and not humidified I don't humidify it, but keep it in a case. My laminates hang on the wall for easy access and decoration...

Preacher
01-06-2014, 03:50 AM
Not to be snarky, but seriously ...?

Seriously! If it's in the case, it's also on the shelf to keep it away from my small children. It's more than flipping a few latches. On a hanger up high, it would be way more accessible and still out of the reach of the kids.

JamieWG
01-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Kohanmike, I love the idea of putting glass doors on those shelves. That could control humidity as well as add extra protection. I have been thinking of doing something like that ever since I saw this photo of yours around the forums! Here in the Northeastern US, humidification is a big issue. Leaving instruments out on stands or lying around is always an invitation to disaster! You've resolved the problem in quite an ingenious way.

For those who hang ukes on a wall, be sure it's an interior wall if there are extreme temperature swings between inside and outside.

I live in Los Angeles, and I have six ukes that I was keeping in gig bags with little humidifiers that I had to refill often. Then I was on the forum here and saw a cabinet someone made to store their ukes with a humidifier system. I thought about it for a while and felt that hanging them would work better for me, get them out of the way and eliminate the need for many cases.

So I cleared a bookshelf and hung the ukes, then I found a couple of trays for water and placed them on the shelf under the ukes, got a hygrometer that I hung behind them. When the weather dries out, I refill the trays more often, but not anywhere near I had to with the little ones in the cases. If it gets a little too humid, I put a cover over the trays. So far I've kept the humidity between 35 to 55%. If it ever gets out of that range, I plan on putting glass doors on the shelf.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/Uke shelf 2.jpg

DaleR
01-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Case or my Kala uke stand

Harold O.
01-06-2014, 04:46 AM
I've made and sold quite a few of these. I always suggest placing a humidifier inside the case. One customer had the great idea of adding a small cushion under the body to keep them from swinging. I can hang the upper part on the wall by itself or place it on the lower one. this gives you somewhere to put your empty case.

Big B
01-06-2014, 04:55 AM
Wall hangers for me. Humidity is a concern, but when they are in their cases, they hardly ever get played. I grab them off the wall daily. (*As my own unintentional experiment: I just moved in September and didn't get around to hanging my guitars and ukes until last week. I've played more in the past week than I have the past 3 months.) And coincidentally, I have two more hangers arriving in the mail today. :)

hammer40
01-06-2014, 05:02 AM
I've made and sold quite a few of these. I always suggest placing a humidifier inside the case. One customer had the great idea of adding a small cushion under the body to keep them from swinging. I can hang the upper part on the wall by itself or place it on the lower one. this gives you somewhere to put your empty case.

That's what I'm talking about, there were others as well that I've seen here but I like it!

Kayak Jim
01-06-2014, 05:04 AM
In the cases with humidifiers, AND in a closed cabinet, also with a humidifier (sponge). Belt and suspenders for me! And no I don't grow mold in the cases with humidity measured at 50-55%. I've got a couple of laminates I just leave out for noodlin' when the mood strikes.

wickedwahine11
01-06-2014, 05:37 AM
I used to have them in a display case with glass doors because I had very low humidity in the summer and winter. When I moved near the ocean, I put them on wall hangers. I keep a hygrometer in the room and when it dips below 40% (very rare), I use a room humidifier. It usually is between 42-50% in that room though.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-06-2014, 06:53 AM
A hanging uke does allow you to play at a moments notice.

pingraham
01-06-2014, 06:59 AM
You have it right Chuck - hang the static displays, but keep your good instruments in their cases with humidifiers (if you are in cold dry air climates). In your hand or in a hardshell case - those are the two places for a good instrument. If it needs to be in sight to get you to play, put the case on the coffee table in front of you and keep it there. You can add a music stand with a tab or two you'd like to learn in a place where it reminds you to play as well.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-06-2014, 07:10 AM
You have it right Chuck - hang the static displays, but keep your good instruments in their cases with humidifiers (if you are in cold dry air climates). In your hand or in a hardshell case - those are the two places for a good instrument. If it needs to be in sight to get you to play, put the case on the coffee table in front of you and keep it there. You can add a music stand with a tab or two you'd like to learn in a place where it reminds you to play as well.

I tell people if they insist on hanging the uke to take a good photo of it and go to Kinkos and have it blown up poster size. :)

SailingUke
01-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Mostly in cases, but always have a few out to play.

Steveperrywriter
01-06-2014, 07:39 AM
A hanging uke does allow you to play at a moments notice.

Ah. Multi-tasking …

As for keeping them out of the reach of little hands? When I was a child, my father converted a utility room into a radio shack -- he was a ham radio guy -- and to keep me and my brother and sisters out, he put a hook and eye at the top of the door, probably six and a half feet from the floor. But of course, we had all manner of brooms, mops, and other sticked tools about, and it took all of thirty seconds for us to solve that high-latch problem. and it wasn't hard to re-latch it by taping a little piece of wire onto the end of the broom handle. (At ten or eleven, when I was tall enough to slide a box over and do it by hand, I discovered my father's stash of girlie magazines, featuring Bette Page, hidden in the shack. I didn't really know why, but I found it fascinating to look at these ...)

Children by their nature are inquisitive creatures, and what one thinks is out of their reach might not be at all. We are, after all, a tool-using species ...

Steve

kohanmike
01-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Yep, wickedW, you were my inspiration, I'm very happy with my setup now, easy to maintain and I easily grab anyone of them to play.

JamieWG
01-06-2014, 08:34 AM
...If it needs to be in sight to get you to play, put the case on the coffee table in front of you and keep it there. .....

...And be sure at least one latch on the case is closed! Someday, somebody will reach for the handle and pick up the case to move it, and if it's not latched, bye-bye. I've seen a lot of guitars that sustained damage that way.

costaricadave
01-06-2014, 08:50 AM
My wife makes fun of me because I take my MB directly back to it's case when I am done playing. It lives in the hard case in my closet where it is the coolest. My Mainland lives on a stand next to the TV but out of baby reach. It has gotten some bumps and scratches being out all the time but that is why I kept it.

Sporin
01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I have hooks but mostly in their cases unless I'm playing often (which I'm not lately, sadly)

UkeyDave
01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Mine is NEVER in its case. I play it every day and it sits next to me propped up against the settee (always).

guitharsis
01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Best place for an uke IMO is in it's case. For the environmental reasons that you noted and for safety ones as well. Having said that, I have several wall hangers that I don't care about and they never get played. My better ukes are in their cases.

I agree. All of my solid wood ukes are in their humidified cases. But do have one laminate that is on a wall hanger.

Katz-in-Boots
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Sigh. I just put my Kala solid mahogany Ubass and my Kanilea on stands in the living room instead of in their cases, so I could just pick them up & play.
Last night, lying in bed, I could hear our 2 cats having a steeplechase around the living room. One of their favourite ambush places is right behind where I put the ukes, so I was relieved to find them intact today (the ukes & the cats!).

So yeah, back in their cases they are going.

itsme
01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
I have a couple stands out I'll sit ukes on while I'm taking breaks from playing, but when I'm done, they always go back into their cases.

...And be sure at least one latch on the case is closed! Someday, somebody will reach for the handle and pick up the case to move it, and if it's not latched, bye-bye. I've seen a lot of guitars that sustained damage that way.
Good advice. (Been there, done that. :o)

pakhan
01-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Personally I prefer to store my instruments in the case- curious children and pets notwithstanding, the case will protect against climatic conditions- the problems you can have with sudden change in temperature and humidity are numerous and can seriously damage the instrument.

So in total agreement with a lot of the advice here.

brUKEman
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I store them all in cases except for my Tenor Flea which is my everyday player. That one generally stays out or stored in an open case.
Today was exercise day and I took my 4 ukes out and played each one which they say is a good thing to do in the winter as it keeps the sound board flexible by the vibrations. Then back into their humidified cases.....

itsme
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
...climatic conditions- the problems you can have with sudden change in temperature and humidity are numerous and can seriously damage the instrument.
There are other factors to consider about leaving instruments out or hanging on the wall.

Ambient light, sunlight thru the windows, can affect the finish over time.

Then there's plain, old, everyday dust that tends to settle on everything.

Preacher
01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Wow! Lots of good advice here, most of it falling on the side of caution first. I've got a Kamaka and I'm (hopefully!) nine days away from purchasing a Mainland!!! So it sounds like what I need to do is to get a "cheap" uke that I can have out all the time to play (I really do believe having it hanging right there in front of me will get me playing more) and then keep the solids put away safely until they get to come out and play. With six children (including a 10-month old who's walking and exploring all over the place), 2 cats and 2 dogs, I should probably keep the ukes in a vault!

(And can I just say how freaking excited I am about getting a chance to visit Mainland Ukes next week? I'm actually dreaming about 'ukuleles. Is that weird?)

frukmana
01-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I put my ukes on my sofa 24/7. No humidity issue from where I live!

TG&Y
01-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Mostly hanging. Above my desk and right in my face. Those get pulled down and played many times during the day. My 'high-end' ukes are Mainlnds, and they get rotated through cases with an attempt to humidify - mostly from paranoia garnered here. Those in cases don't get played much, so I rotate and have at least one of Mike's instruments hanging in front of my face every day. It's the soprano mahogany this morning. Then there's a couple of Kalas, an Oscar Schmidt, a banjolele and a plastic Carnival soprano. In my world, what's in a case doesn't get much play - which defeats my aims. YMMV

JLM
01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
I only have one "good" Uke and it is in a Fremont case beside my favorite chair. I use a Dampit humidifier during furnace season... I pull it out and open the case on the ottoman every day - multiple times on a good day. The case becomes a music stand, metronome holder, etc. I like having it at my fingertips, but am a bit neurotic about protection and humidification. I have had this Uke for 6 months and it has quickly become my prized possession. My poor Taylor guitar languishes in the closet - in a humidified case of course!

mr79
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I use a hanger that I made from some old pallet wood... we don't have much of a humidity issue here though. I can second the suggestion of getting a laminate Kiwaya though for keeping out - I have a Kiwaya KS-0 which has a lovely sound (even nicer and warmer than my all solid Bruko). I've had some sort of musical instrument most my adult life and never really got far on any of them - it wasn't until I had them hung and accessible that I started learning anything properly. Out of sight and all that!62820

peaceweaver3
01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
but is there anybody here who really feels like playing but doesn't because, you know, it's just too much trouble to flip a couple latches and uncase your uke? Not to be snarky, but seriously ...?

Steve

I wouldn't quite go that far. :) But I do think it's a pain to keep ukes cased. Not because it's trouble, but really because if I feel like I "must" keep it in a case, I worry about it. Clearly, there's some reason it needs to be in there. Especially when that reason is environmental, I've found I don't play as much. Again, because of the worry. If you're not a worrier, cased shouldn't be such a sad place to be. Since it is for me, I choose ukes below that level of care. But remember, and I freely admit this, it's all in my head!

TG&Y
01-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Play nekkid! Life is short!

peaceweaver3
01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Wow! Lots of good advice here, most of it falling on the side of caution first. I've got a Kamaka and I'm (hopefully!) nine days away from purchasing a Mainland!!! So it sounds like what I need to do is to get a "cheap" uke that I can have out all the time to play (I really do believe having it hanging right there in front of me will get me playing more) and then keep the solids put away safely until they get to come out and play. With six children (including a 10-month old who's walking and exploring all over the place), 2 cats and 2 dogs, I should probably keep the ukes in a vault!

(And can I just say how freaking excited I am about getting a chance to visit Mainland Ukes next week? I'm actually dreaming about 'ukuleles. Is that weird?)

Weird? To us? Not likely! :D

I go back and forth on the "cheap uke" debate. On one hand, the uke shapes and features I actually love are extremely limited. They're not custom or anything, just picky things that are hit or miss with most inexpensive ukes. For indestructibility I can highly recommend the Flea, but probably not what you would consider cheap. The other thing is, if the cheap one, whatever it is, is the only one out, then naturally you'll grab it more. Just because it's there. SO it will get more play than the "good" ones in their cases. In that case, dare I be so blunt, why have the good ones? Instruments are made to be played.

I guess that's why I'm pretty much in the one uke camp. I find that one uke that meets my requirements and doesn't need special care, and I play it. End of story.

But I digress! Have fun at Mainland!! Have thought of getting one myself.

Toucan Mango
01-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Where I live it is way to dry inside the house and too risky to leave hanging on the wall. I was keeping my 4 solids in their cases with hercos but I would tend to grab my favorite ukulele and neglect the rest. One of the neglected ones developed slight seam separation even though it was in the case & humidified. I now keep all four in a glass case with an Oasis gadge. I have a large homemade humidifier that is much easier for me to maintain then the Hercos.

I can see the curly koa on two, the sapwood on another and last I have a blond koa. I now have a visual of all ukuleles and they all get played "and inspected" and appreciated more often. So "for me" the visual rather than cased is way better. If I lived in a climate that was suitable for ukuleles I would hang them, its easy to wipe dust off as you play them. If I had more than 6 solids I would probably case them.

Mattyukaholic
01-12-2014, 06:02 AM
I don't find keeping them in their hard cases stops me playing them at all. They're all there just waiting for me to flip those few latches.

In fact, am I the only person that loves the feeling you get opening up that case and taking out a beautiful ukulele? It's a bit like opening a present every time I play. I always give them a wipe with a microfibre cloth before putting them away too. I like it, it's a bit like a ritual. I think I get it from years of playing vinyl records rather than CDs...the anticipation and ritual is part of the enjoyment.

Toucan Mango
01-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Oh yes, the vinyl record days bring back memories. I was guilty of dropping the needle to the song I wanted which is a no no. I have a cousin that played his from start to finish, played all songs through, then wiped them down before putting them away. I bet he still has his whole collection, I have none of my albums.
I don't find keeping them in their hard cases stops me playing them at all. They're all there just waiting for me to flip those few latches.

In fact, am I the only person that loves the feeling you get opening up that case and taking out a beautiful ukulele? It's a bit like opening a present every time I play. I always give them a wipe with a microfibre cloth before putting them away too. I like it, it's a bit like a ritual. I think I get it from years of playing vinyl records rather than CDs...the anticipation and ritual is part of the enjoyment.

cantsing
01-12-2014, 10:38 AM
In fact, am I the only person that loves the feeling you get opening up that case and taking out a beautiful ukulele?

I can't imagine owning your collection, but I can honestly say that after two and a half years, I still smile every time I open the case and take out my slothead Mainland mahogany concert!

Cindy

Mattyukaholic
01-12-2014, 10:47 AM
I can't imagine owning your collection, but I can honestly say that after two and a half years, I still smile every time I open the case and take out my slothead Mainland mahogany concert!

Cindy

That's a great ukulele. I consider my Mainland to be one of my favourites. The slotted concerts look really lovely.

Appalachian picker
01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I knew there was a reason that I don't own a high dollar uke. I think that half the fun of having an instrument, and that would be multiplied many times over with an object d' art like a MB or or a Devine, is simply looking at them. I think that stringed instruments have a certain elegance and beauty that I like to admire all the time. If my lowly vintage baritone lived in a case I'd miss all the fun of simply looking at it.

Big B
02-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm not above having my mind changed. :) After 6 weeks on the wall, I put my Kamaka back in the case with a humidifier. My cheapo laminate has terrible fret sprout and I couldn't stand the thought of knowingly doing that to my Kamaka. Thanks for the advise in this thread!

fretie
02-21-2014, 11:42 AM
I knew there was a reason that I don't own a high dollar uke. I think that half the fun of having an instrument, and that would be multiplied many times over with an object d' art like a MB or or a Devine, is simply looking at them. I think that stringed instruments have a certain elegance and beauty that I like to admire all the time. If my lowly vintage baritone lived in a case I'd miss all the fun of simply looking at it.

I'm with you AP. I find it deeply satisfying to see a gorgeous uke every day, off the floor of course, out of the sunlight, dusted and at a favourable temperature naturally.

I wonder it those lucky Kamaka owners of a century ago kept their ukes encased of enshrined?

Well, maybe its just the rebel in me that wants to see my ukulele stay free!

FrankB
02-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Before joining the USAF, my son owned a compound bow. I owned several very nice guitars which were left on stands in my living room. I came home one day, and saw that he had fired an arrow through his bedroom wall, and the broadhead was about an inch from the back of one guitar. He was 16 yrs old. Since then, all of my instruments are back in cases. He's out of the Air Force and back home, so they're still in their cases.....and Jr still owns that compound bow.

actadh
02-21-2014, 01:00 PM
My ukulele is solid spruce with laminated mahogany sides. It came with a gig bag and a Herco humidifier. I cut up an old pair of soft PJ's and wrapped a strip around the sides of the humidifier as I didn't want the hard plastic container banging into the instrument. When in the case, I put the Snark in it's soft pouch on the zipper side next to the neck and the wrapped humidifier on the other side of the neck on the back side of the case. I cut a bigger strip as a wipe-down cloth that I roll up and put under the neck. That keeps the uke from moving around. and even though there is a zipper pocket on the top, I feel anything besides paper pushes against the strings, so I don't have much in there except my HMS stickers while I decide where they will go.

I play every day, usually in a chair next to the bed in front of my laptop. I unzip it on the bed, play it, and when I get up and leave the room, it gets a quick wipe down & back in the case on the bed, though not always zipped. That seems to be the safest place. Being on the bed allows me to grab it for quick playing of scales or songs. If I see something on here or another ukulele site, I can grab it and play along, or try out something new. I grade on the laptop, and now it is natural to grade a little and play a little - it keeps me focused and on task.

When I turn in for the night, or when I leave the house, it is zipped in the case and is beside the bed. We have natural gas space heaters for warmth in the winter which result in a little more moisture in the air than forced air heat.

OldePhart
02-21-2014, 04:39 PM
What is this "store" and "not playing" of which you speak?

Seriously, though, since I've bought a room humidifier for my home office I tend to leave some of my ukes out of the cases where I can grab them on a moments notice. I used to just leave the "beaters" out...now I'll leave my good'uns out.

John

Osprey
02-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I live in FL where winter humidity is not a major issue. You Norte ears can send your really good ukes to me in the winter and I will store them for ya. ��

Ukejenny
02-22-2014, 06:09 AM
All of my instruments, uke or otherwise, stay cased. It doesn't stop me at all from getting them out and enjoying them. Alabama has a lot of humidity, but we use gas heat in winter, so I try to up the humidity in the house and air out the house whenever possible. I have two young kids who can literally bounce off the walls, so I don't leave things out. I do my best to keep everything on interior walls and away from windows, except for brass instruments, which can take a little more of a beating. Even my blue Mahalo has a little case I made for it from a pants leg. My first instrument was clarinet and I've been opening that case for over 33 years. It is still a thrill, even to this day. I'm such a band/music geek! :rolleyes:

actadh
02-22-2014, 07:52 AM
You all inspired me to set up a safe space suitcase as a better option to keep my ukulele accessible when I am home. I wrote upthread that I just put it on the bed in an unzipped gig bag. A hard-sided vintage suitcase might keep it from getting knocked about when I leave the room.

When finished for the day or when I go to work, the ukulele will still go in the gig bag and all the stuff will stay in the suitcase until next time.

It was fun to go through the house and pick up the various music makers I have accumulated through the years. There is still an AWOL ocarina that is probably under a sofa cushion. Now, when grandkids come by, they can accompany me.

I took advantage of winter sunshine to play outside today and it made a dandy music stand.

Ukejenny
02-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Okay, I simply love that. Great idea. Is that a pan flute and some kind of wooden xylyphone/bells you have in there? You've got a lot of cool stuff! My ocarinas are hung on the tree at Christmas, so they are in storage right now. LOL

actadh
02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
I love your Christmas tree idea. You guessed correctly - I picked up the pan flute & the red flute at Value Village and the wooden xylophone at at Goodwill.

There is a singing bowl in there that I bought after a fascinating conversation with the owner of the store in Gaithersburg, Md. I was in there to get a prayer flag and walked out with this beautiful bowl as well. The brass composition makes each one sound unique. It makes a somewhat unearthly sound and I like to use it before I start playing the ukulele.

After seeing the beautiful display ideas here, I got inspired. There is no room to put a cabinet in my bedroom, but I have plenty of vintage suitcases and enough space beside my bed for it. I got the old tweed suitcase from a secondhand store last year and wasn't aware at the time that music cases came in tweed as well

CanuckUkeMaui
02-22-2014, 09:49 AM
In New Brunswick, Canada the humidity in the winter can get down to 25% ....definitely not good for Ukes or anything else for that matter. To cope,I built a glass door wall unit that holds 6 Ukeuleles. I put two 4"x6" sponges in water filled containers inside the case and it maintains the humidity around 42% and I only need to top up the containers about every 10-14 days. Pic below...
(For the rest of the room...about 16x30' I bought a portable automatic humidifier that works well and keeps the area at what I set it at..46% ...could probably remove the sponges but they are a good cheap backup.) humidifier is http://www.homedepot.ca/product/quietcare-90-gallon-cool-moisture-console-humidifier/939669

Aloha,
Terry
Kamaka Pinapple, Kamaka 6 string Tenor ...white label Lil'u, Mele 6 string concert, Mele soprano, Kala Tenor, Epiphone Les Paul concert.

actadh
02-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Terry - how beautiful your ukuleles look in that case.

OldePhart
02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
@CanuckUkeMaui - I like that case. My daughter and her kids are moving out at the end of the month now that she is back on her feet and I am getting my music room/man cave back! I had to cram everything into my home office when they moved in and there ain't 'nuff room to swing a cat in this little office. The man cave ain't a lot bigger but it sure helps not having to have all of my hobbies packed into my office.

Anyway, I said all that to say all this :) , I'm trying to decide whether to build a proper display case along the one wall or just hang the ukes and use the room humidifier. The case sure does look nice and keeps 'em from getting dusty...

John