WTB: a good beater uke

Ame

Reaction score
Hey guys, so valentine's day is coming up, yea? So, wouldn't a new uke be a good present? x]

My gf has a 'beater uke' but it's really dying. haha She now has to carry around her big tenor Makai uke with her, which is her "good uke" and she carries it in her backpack. O_O So, I decided that I wanted to get her a good beater uke with a soft padded case, so she doesn't end up damaging her good one ..

I was looking for a flea or fluke for $100, but I don't know if I really want to spend that much, since I'm a broke unemployed college student. haha but I still want to get her something she can use and needs.

If anyone is selling let me know before Valentine's Day, or March 17, which is her birthday. (I might give it to her then if I can't get one in time for v-day.)

Thanks guys! :)

Oh yea, Thanks Natalie, but $120 is a lot of me.. He actually lives in socal and I live in the bay area, so it's quite far to pick up as well.

I really thought about it, but it really is too much for me right now. I wish I could though. :\

this is probably the opposite of what you are thinking...
but!

why not spend the money on a nice case for the good uke instead.
beater ukes get...er... beaten.
and 'nice' ukes sound better and are more enjoyable to play.
buying a nice case to prevent it from being damaged might be good solution?

anyway. that's just my thoughts from personal experience.
i used to try to keep a junky uke around for lugging about or keeping in my office, but found i was less likely to pull it out. and my best uke is just so nice to play, i started lugging it around with me everywhere anyway...
;)

Maybe one of those Makala "dolphin" ukes? Super-cheap, and seems like they'd be perfect for leaving in the car, taking to the beach, etc.

JJ

Wow, I never realized MGM had a Dark Side. But that pink dolphin uke is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Especially if you consider it a tool to annoy people... Since it's set up, I suppose the sound is somewhere in the reasonable range? I could really use one of those...

Since it's set up, I suppose the sound is somewhere in the reasonable range?

Somewhere on that auction page (I think) is a clip so you can hear it. Sounded fine to me, especially for the price. I might get one myself one of these days, although maybe not in that particular color. :eek:

JJ

How much are you willing to spend?

Ive got the dolphin in white. Its okey, but the sound of the Makala Sopran (my tip) the Makala Sopran Pineapple. Like 30 bugs with bag and everything.
Here in Europe, you can buy Hora. Massiv top for like 50 bugs in every shape.

Somewhere on that auction page (I think) is a clip so you can hear it. Sounded fine to me, especially for the price. I might get one myself one of these days, although maybe not in that particular color. :eek:

JJ

One of my students bought this uke from MGM and it got to her here in Georgia in three days. It sounds "good" for a $35 ukulele. It sounds better than I thought it would but that is all the makala dolphin ones.

On a different note you can get a Kala soprano mahaghany for around $50 and that is a good one.

Hey guys, so valentine's day is coming up, yea? So, wouldn't a new uke be a good present? x]

My gf has a 'beater uke' but it's really dying. haha She now has to carry around her big tenor Makai uke with her, which is her "good uke" and she carries it in her backpack. O_O So, I decided that I wanted to get her a good beater uke with a soft padded case, so she doesn't end up damaging her good one ..

I was looking for a flea or fluke for $100, but I don't know if I really want to spend that much, since I'm a broke unemployed college student. haha but I still want to get her something she can use and needs.

If anyone is selling let me know before Valentine's Day, or March 17, which is her birthday. (I might give it to her then if I can't get one in time for v-day.)

Thanks guys! :)

KALA concert...the one i have is a decent uke...

but also its great to bandito tyler...you know..

it is 150... haha...

i am an employed college student...sorry

The Lanikai LU-21 series is also pretty universally liked, I think, with the soprano going for about $60.

The Lanikai LU-21 series is also pretty universally liked, I think, with the soprano going for about $60.

I'd have to say no on this one. I have one and I think it is just dreadful. The intonation is bad; really bad. It has good volume, but it goes SO sharp up the fretboard it is unbearable.

thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

I was thinking of getting a Lanikai LU-21 because I started off on that uke, but it's out of stock where I bought it before..

So, I'm probably leaning towards a Mahalo, Makala, or if I can find that Kala.

The only thing I don't like about the Makala is the dolphin ..

Anyone have opinions on the Mahalo ukes? I think I'll look for sound samples or something.

I'm willing to spend around $50 (but cheaper would be better on my wallet haha) and I'm really trying to find one that comes with a bag as well. I know I'm probably really pushing it with specifics and money range..

but If it's a Flea or fluke I may be willing to spend $100 or just tad bit more because I know the quality and such for those.

Thanks again guys and gals! :)

If you can find a Fluke/Flea for $100, grab it immediately. They're tanks. :D

Makalas are probably the best cheapo ukes, especially if you get them from MGM. If you hate the dolphin bridge, they sell a more traditional-looking soprano for a tiny bit more: http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-SOPRANO-...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

The Kala KA-15S is another good bet: http://cgi.ebay.com/SETUP-Kala-KA-1...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

MGM also has some watermelon and pineapple Kalas in stock for $80 or so.
Hope this helps!

I'd have to say no on this one. I have one and I think it is just dreadful. The intonation is bad; really bad. It has good volume, but it goes SO sharp up the fretboard it is unbearable.

Oooh, I'm sorry to hear that! I've never owned one personally, but I've read such good reviews on it (for a cheaper uke). Thanks for telling the truth, good or bad!

Oooh, I'm sorry to hear that! I've never owned one personally, but I've read such good reviews on it (for a cheaper uke). Thanks for telling the truth, good or bad!

Haha yep. I love that thing to death though, it was my first uke. It has a really loud punchy sound, but beyond the 3rd fret it is just unbearably out of tune.

Anyone have opinions on the Mahalo ukes? I think I'll look for sound samples or something.

I've briefly played one of the uber-cheap Mahalos--the ones that come in all the different colors. Can't vouch for their other models.

The particular one I played wasn't bad for the price, but I've heard that they're hit-and-miss. The music store was selling them for $30, but I've seen them on the net for $25, and even as low as $20 when purchased in bulk.

They're about the cheapest ukes I've seen that could be called an actual instrument instead of just a junky toy. If you were, say, teaching a classroom of kids, they'd be perfect.

Here's an interesting article about a guy who worked on the intonation on his Mahalo, with some success.

JJ

Top Bottom