PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 for removing fine scratches ?

Doc_J
01-06-2014, 01:59 AM
Tried Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 for removing fine scratches a well-used gloss uke, and had excellent results. It got rid of most of the strumming scratches, and didn't harm the finish. Worked really well for me. It's clear coat safe. Anyone else use this or something else for removing/reducing fine scratches ?

This is only for gloss ukes.

PhilUSAFRet
01-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Used similar products on non-open pored satin finishes to produce a gorgeous "semi-gloss" luster.

Skinny Money McGee
01-06-2014, 03:40 AM
I used scratchX to remove 50 years of grime off a gold label Kamaka. It shines like new. Used a microfiber cloth to apply and clean it.

strumsilly
01-06-2014, 03:53 AM
worked like a charm on my Martin baritone, took all the grime off.

Hms
01-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Remember this stuff is a polish, so is abrasive.
You are removing the scratches by removing the finish around the scratch till it becomes level with the scratch.
h

BlackBearUkes
01-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Gloss WHAT? Gloss is not a finish in itself, its just discribing the finish. Perhaps if you give us the make of the uke, we can give you an informed answer.

Doc_J
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Remember this stuff is a polish, so is abrasive.
You are removing the scratches by removing the finish around the scratch till it becomes level with the scratch.
h

Gloss WHAT? Gloss is not a finish in itself, its just discribing the finish. Perhaps if you give us the make of the uke, we can give you an informed answer.

Yes, it is a mild abrasive, designed to remove auto paint & clear coat swirl marks and light scratches. There is always a risk of going too far. But used sparingly and lightly I found it very effective on scratched gloss nitro finishes. Applied it on a well-played Collings UT2, very successfully. Wish I had taken 'before' pics. As usual YMMV.

BTW Here is the result. I think it looks great, reflecting the ceiling light on the upper bout . 62770

mm stan
01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
62771Hey Hodge this is my satin finish collings mahogany after few coats of Nu Finish car polish
I use new finish and it does a great job too..less abrasive and in some lacquers with elbow grease it comes to a high gloss...New finish has more abrasive polish called scratch doctor
and it works well on deep scratches...but I just use new finish to be on the safe side...

ukulelearp
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty into car detailing. Scratch-x also has some fillers in it that fill in some of the scratches to give it a smooth looking finish. Not sure how they react with the finish of the instruments, if at all. May be better to find a polish that doesn't have any fillers in it.

PhilUSAFRet
01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Been wanting to try 3M Finesse it II. Have read some good feedback about it...see first link below. 2nd link - Here's an earlier thread about "polishing up" your uke.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-284148.html

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?31578-Kala-Acacia-Tenor...All-Dressed-Up&highlight=acacia

Doc_J
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
62771Hey Hodge this is my satin finish collings mahogany after few coats of Nu Finish car polish
I use new finish and it does a great job too..less abrasive and in some lacquers with elbow grease it comes to a high gloss...New finish has more abrasive polish called scratch doctor
and it works well on deep scratches...but I just use new finish to be on the safe side...

Wow Stan, that looks great, much better that the standard satin Collings finish. So that is how to change a satin to a gloss.

I'm going to have to get some of that NuFinish.

Tim Mullins
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
I used Novis 2 Fine Scratch Remover as recommended by Collings to gloss the finish of my UC-1. Turned out great.

mm stan
01-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Wow Stan, that looks great, much better that the standard satin Collings finish. So that is how to change a satin to a gloss.

I'm going to have to get some of that NuFinish.
Hey Hodge, Not all lacquers work, most do though, one is my Oscar schmidt did not and cheap chinese uke.. but my rogue came to a high gloss too... need many coats and
and elbow grease...as it the old car polishing...the more coats, the deeper the shine for some is true...