1920's Jonah Kumalae Style E No. 25, good or bad?

srpompon

Reaction score
I've been drooling over the pics on the listing for this uke for some time. Buying it was out of the question for me, but I just loved checking up on it and geeking out. If it sounds half as good as it looks, it's a winner. I think it's stunning.

Keep us posted, how it sounds and plays. Maybe even post some more pics as well?

Ian, I'm not sure what your mean by "good or bad." You have bought a fine example of 'ukulele history. I don't eBay so I don't know if you paid $950 for it. If you did, you paid more than I did for my 1920 style 25. To me the value is in the playing of it - and imagining all the notes that 'uke has played in its lifetime. Let your estate worry about the resale value. This is not the tourist model but one with the beautiful rope binding on the perimeter of the 'uke and sound hole and inner fretboard. Don't worry about the replacement tuning pegs. You can try to find some original ones but in the meantime play it passionately.

I'm no expert but I think you should consider getting some low tension strings for it. I have Worth CLs on mine. The koa soundboard is very thin and along with proper humidity, the l.t. strings will help to keep the koa from cracking. If you aren't going to play it for a long period, slacken the pegs will help preserve this 'uke for another ninety some years.

So I'll say you did "good."

You already bought it lol, if you wanted opinions on if it was a smart buy you should have asked before you bought it.

This is what I like about this site I am learning more about the ukulele in posts like this. I took up this instrument last summer, and love it and love learning about its history.

I've been drooling over the pics on the listing for this uke for some time. Buying it was out of the question for me, but I just loved checking up on it and geeking out. If it sounds half as good as it looks, it's a winner. I think it's stunning.

Keep us posted, how it sounds and plays. Maybe even post some more pics as well?

i also hope this one sounds good..... i put pics when arrive to my country.. 20 or 30 days i think...

Thanks!!

Ian, I'm not sure what your mean by "good or bad." You have bought a fine example of 'ukulele history. I don't eBay so I don't know if you paid $950 for it. If you did, you paid more than I did for my 1920 style 25. To me the value is in the playing of it - and imagining all the notes that 'uke has played in its lifetime. Let your estate worry about the resale value. This is not the tourist model but one with the beautiful rope binding on the perimeter of the 'uke and sound hole and inner fretboard. Don't worry about the replacement tuning pegs. You can try to find some original ones but in the meantime play it passionately.

I'm no expert but I think you should consider getting some low tension strings for it. I have Worth CLs on mine. The koa soundboard is very thin and along with proper humidity, the l.t. strings will help to keep the koa from cracking. If you aren't going to play it for a long period, slacken the pegs will help preserve this 'uke for another ninety some years.

i dont want to resale the uke... (my soon in some years .... mmm..) but of course i love the rope... and the banjo style slot... ... low tension strings... i dont have that.. are fluo?

about the pegs i have a peghead 4:1 set here... i think is the best option for me because i hate the friction tunners (really i dont understant how the people use frictions!!! i need a manual or something)

and thanks for the tip about slack the pegs...

thanks!!!

This is what I like about this site I am learning more about the ukulele in posts like this. I took up this instrument last summer, and love it and love learning about its history.

yes.... uu is awesome... many good people, a lot of knowledge... a great place.

I always say "I can get more money in the future,but can I find another vintage ukulele this sweet?" that usually takes care of that question.
You now have a beautiful piece of Ukulele History.Thanks for helping preserve another relic.
Mahalo,
Micahel

I think you paid a bit more than it's worth. Next time I would try and ask before you buy!

If you had asked before you bought you would have "seen sense" and someone else would have it now.

When I put in an offer (the asking price) for a house, the offer was accepted immediately. Thinking I left too much money on the table, I asked my realtor, "Why didn't you advise me to offer less?" His replied, "Someone could have offered the seller their asking price and you would have lost the house." Twenty-one years later, I'm still living in the house and soon Ivan will be strumming his Kumalae and hopefully will be for another twenty-one years.

If you had asked before you bought you would have "seen sense" and someone else would have it now. Also you would have alerted several more potential buyers. In the case of this type of old uke, there are no more, if you want one you have to take whatever buying opportunities happen. If you have a good income, $100 here or there should not be an issue, money is not everything. Enjoy.

agree and agree ;)

When I put in an offer (the asking price) for a house, the offer was accepted immediately. Thinking I left too much money on the table, I asked my realtor, "Why didn't you advise me to offer less?" His replied, "Someone could have offered the seller their asking price and you would have lost the house." Twenty-one years later, I'm still living in the house and soon Ivan will be strumming his Kumalae and hopefully will be for another twenty-one years.

Yes.. i dont worry to much about the price, some times i get the ukes a low prices... some times not... last year i get my Martin Style 1M 1930 in perfect conditions for 350 u$s, when i see this one whit the rope inlays they blow my mint! and now reading here about the history for sure is a good purchase... but some minutes after buy the uke i go paranoid and put this post :confused:

thanks all for the info!!!

Top Bottom