Anyone got a Kala KGC?

Captain America

Reaction score
This looks interesting to me; is it solid koa?

How does it sound stacked against a typical mahogany number?

what the hell is a KGC?

I have a Kala KCG-CT, if that's the model you mean. The deluxe has a solid cedar top, laminated bookmatched koa sides and bottom, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard & bridge (tie-style), NuBone nut & saddle, closed-gear tuners with black buttons & silver-toned hardware, maple binding with abalone purfling on both top and bottom as well as on the headstock, abalone rosette, fancy mother-of-pearl fret markers at 5, 7, 10 & 12. Finished with a high gloss. It's a beauty! Strung with Aquilas, I liked the tone; strung with Worth Browns, I love it. Mine was set up by MGM and the action is perfect, with silky frets.

ETA: Compared to my solid mahogany soprano, the Kala concert is of course much louder; the Kala's tone is rather brighter but without being the least brash; there's plenty of warmth underneath, too. Wonderful for strumming by the fireside on cold nights. For a uke of this size, I'd say it has quite good sustain.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're talking about the Koa Gloss Concert ukulele from Kala. If so, it's not solid wood. A few people have said that it does sound great.

Top Bottom