How Long Have You Been a Uker?

Kyle23

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning will officially be 1 year for me since I got my first ukulele. I won't ever forget the day because it was one of the best days of my life. The uke has taught me a lot, not only about music, but about myself and I'm looking towards many more "anniversaries". So as the title says, how long have you been playing the ukulele? I think it would be cool to see the experience some people have on here.

2 years next month.

Three years come April.

I won't ever forget the day because it was one of the best days of my life. The uke has taught me a lot, not only about music, but about myself and I'm looking towards many more "anniversaries".

I'm with you on that one, Kyle. I bought my first uke on a whim, without any musical ability. What has happened since ranks as some of the best experiences of my adult life.

Great thread.

I bought my first uke in January 1998 in Honolulu on vacation in Hawaii. I had played guitar off and on for over 30 years before that so I could pretty much play it from the start. My friend I was in Hawaii with and I found people playing on the beach and we joined them. It was the best part of our trip and we came back and joined the people on the beach for several years.

4 years and change, not counting playing (badly) as a child some 40 years earlier. When I took my first uke class as an adult, I expected my interest to last the duration of the class - 8 weeks. Turned out to be a life-changer!

I bought three ukuleles (notice the plural) in Oct 2011. I only played for few months before putting them aside as I did not improve much. However, in July 2013, I started to play them again. Sold them away and bought some newer ukuleles and played with a group of friends improving tremendously in skills and songs repertoire. Here I am back to playing again for the last six months. :cool:

Last edited:
Two years this past New Years eve. Easy day to remember, that's when I met a gentleman in the parking lot of Food for Less and purchased my first ukulele.

62+ years. Adequately? About 3

I bought my first uke in September 2010, but for various reasons didn't get serious about playing until last summer. Since then it's been a happy obsession. :music:

In February it will be one year for me. I can't for the life of me wonder why I spent so many years playing the guitar; the ukulele is so much more fun.

Top Bottom