PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have You Been a Uker?

Kyle23
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Tomorrow morning will officially be 1 year for me since I got my first ukulele. I won't ever forget the day because it was one of the best days of my life. The uke has taught me a lot, not only about music, but about myself and I'm looking towards many more "anniversaries". So as the title says, how long have you been playing the ukulele? I think it would be cool to see the experience some people have on here.

Dan Uke
01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
In May, I wil have played 3 years.

Freeda
01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
2 years next month.

connor013
01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Three years come April.

I won't ever forget the day because it was one of the best days of my life. The uke has taught me a lot, not only about music, but about myself and I'm looking towards many more "anniversaries".

I'm with you on that one, Kyle. I bought my first uke on a whim, without any musical ability. What has happened since ranks as some of the best experiences of my adult life.

Great thread.

Meljoe
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
7 months :o

katysax
01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
I bought my first uke in January 1998 in Honolulu on vacation in Hawaii. I had played guitar off and on for over 30 years before that so I could pretty much play it from the start. My friend I was in Hawaii with and I found people playing on the beach and we joined them. It was the best part of our trip and we came back and joined the people on the beach for several years.

janeray1940
01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
4 years and change, not counting playing (badly) as a child some 40 years earlier. When I took my first uke class as an adult, I expected my interest to last the duration of the class - 8 weeks. Turned out to be a life-changer!

Kem
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Thirty-one years. I was given my first ukulele when I was eight, and I've played ever since.

Osprey
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Four months

frukmana
01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Three months now!

sugengshi
01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I bought three ukuleles (notice the plural) in Oct 2011. I only played for few months before putting them aside as I did not improve much. However, in July 2013, I started to play them again. Sold them away and bought some newer ukuleles and played with a group of friends improving tremendously in skills and songs repertoire. Here I am back to playing again for the last six months. :cool:

Ikelele
01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Two years this past New Years eve. Easy day to remember, that's when I met a gentleman in the parking lot of Food for Less and purchased my first ukulele.

Kyle23
01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Thirty-one years. I was given my first ukulele when I was eight, and I've played ever since.

Wow, I wonder if anyone can beat this.

Kem
01-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Wow, I wonder if anyone can beat this.

Yep...there are a number of people on the boards who have played longer than I have.

kvehe
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I ordered my first uke on a whim on February 19, 2012 and received it two days later.

PhilUSAFRet
01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
62+ years. Adequately? About 3

BlueSockMonkey
01-07-2014, 04:05 PM
I bought my first uke in September 2010, but for various reasons didn't get serious about playing until last summer. Since then it's been a happy obsession. :music:

Ipcmlr
01-07-2014, 04:09 PM
7 months :o

Pareho tayo! (same here)

Brian W
01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
In February it will be one year for me. I can't for the life of me wonder why I spent so many years playing the guitar; the ukulele is so much more fun.

Edgeguy
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
8 months. Started playing a uke at a camp on the west side of Pikes Peak.

kohanmike
01-07-2014, 06:18 PM
I told this story a few times on UU. I've played guitar off and on for almost 50 years, and I bought my first uke about 6 months ago only because it was designed after the Fender Telecaster I've had for a year, thought it would be cute. That same week I received a postcard from The Los Angeles Music Center for their annual summer play-alongs (attended a couple of previous for guitar), this time it was for the ukulele. That got me started. Very quickly I realized soprano was not good for me, bought a tenor, sold the soprano, then proceeded to buy eight more tenor ukes. Sold one Saturday to make room for my most recent acquisition.

Have applied myself more to the uke in the last 6 months than I have the guitar in 20 years.

jop
01-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I built my first ukulele in college 32 years ago.

bborzell
01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Nine months.

Shady Wilbury
01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Wow...I started on the 15th of May 2006. Tuned my soprano up, watched it slip out of tune (friction pegs) and skipped 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' in favour of 'Ode to Joy'. Nearly eight years, but I've only started playing regularly in the last two.

This thread is great, Kyle!

pektel
01-07-2014, 11:04 PM
9 months and change.

Manalishi
01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Started in 2009,towards the back end of the year.Had previously played guitar for forty odd years,then had a major illness,after which,they no longer appealed to me! So I gave them away and for a short while was without a musical instrument in the house.
Spotted the brightly painted Mahalo cheapies, in a local music shop,and one day,on no more than a whim,stepped in and bought one.Currently own one tenor,two concert scale and three sopranos,plus one sopranino.Have bought, played and passed on,another dozen or more in that time.Still consider myself a 'newbie' although I have started two ukulele clubs in that time,and ran a beginners class for absolute starters! Interesting journey,and I still find something new or amazing (or both) almost every day!

savagehenry
01-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Three years next month, boy how time flies.

good_uke_boy
01-08-2014, 12:11 AM
First played a little over 2 years ago, when Santa left an ukulele for me under the tree.

DaleR
01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
I got my first uke from a local music store on my birthday last year. It proudly sits at the tiki bar that I had my birthday party at. It has been a wild ride, and it is far from over!

dkcrown
01-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Just hit my five year anniversary. I could be wrong, but I believe the 5th anniversary is the "wood" anniversary. Hmmmm..... might have to pick up another solid wood uke to celebrate.:)

Doug W
01-08-2014, 01:56 AM
Got my first banjo ukulele 52 years ago on my 9th birthday. Unfortunately there were a few years in between now and then when my practice schedule fell apart and other things got in the way, so I don't necessarily sound like someone who has been playing the uke for over 50 years.

cigarfan
01-08-2014, 02:25 AM
10 months - 1st Anniversary in March 2014

sukie
01-08-2014, 02:46 AM
6 years in February. Wow. That's gone by fast.

And thanks to UU!

dnewton2
01-08-2014, 02:48 AM
Well apparently it has been just over 6 years. I used to have more time to play, but having children has taken much of my free time up. Good news is they are getting to an age where I can begin to have them play too. So maybe I will have a ukulele band sometime soon.

Slow Eddie
01-08-2014, 03:37 AM
As of today, two weeks; I got my first ukulele for Christmas. Since online fora have been tremendously helpful in my other hobbies - cycling, skiing, and billiards, among others - it seemed only natural to find a uke community to become a part of. Y'all seem like a nice enough bunch.

Five Ways
01-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Just over 2 years but played guitar and mandolin for many years, only play uke now since I caught UAS.

Mr. Uke Guy
01-08-2014, 03:48 AM
5 days! Got my first uke on Saturday. So far so good. I love it!

wrestlingmatt51
01-08-2014, 04:03 AM
I started messing around on a 10 dollar uke 9 years ago last month, but I've been playing "for real" for 5 years.

KamakOzzie
01-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Started guitar and bass during the Beatles invasion. I've been playing uke a little over four years.

Bill

vanflynn
01-08-2014, 04:08 AM
I was a military brat and spent 3-5th grade (late ‘60s) at Pearl Harbor Kai Elementary where ukulele was the music class. After we moved back I drifted to guitar (folk rock and all that). 3 years ago my wife bought me a uke for Christmas, right after our Hawaii trip. I pulled out the old sheet music and Holy Sh*t! , the fingers still remembered! Been hooked ever since.

greenie44
01-08-2014, 04:15 AM
A lot of other 'reformed' guitar players here - I fall in that category too. The funny thing I realized is how many people in this thread knew exactly when their uke relationship(s) started. I picked up a uke (not for the first time) at the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium three and a half years ago. It grabbed me immediately. If I would have known the impact this instrument has had on me, I would have marked the day and time too.

RedRamen
01-08-2014, 04:41 AM
My parents got me a soprano Kala golden acacia gloss Christmas 2012. It still one of my favorite ukes.

His Sinfulness
01-08-2014, 06:13 AM
I just passed my 2nd anniversary as a uker. Before I moved to Korea to teach I sold all of my drums and my guitar and amp. I got to Korea in Spring and by Fall I was really missing my instruments. I decided to give uke a try since it was smaller and cheaper than buying another guitar, and I couldn't be happier that I did! Although I'm a decent drummer and I was an okay strummer on the guitar, I have never felt so at home with an instrument. The uke is definitely 'my thing.'

I play in a band, and write songs on the uke. All hope of it being a cheaper option has disappeared - I have 7 ukes now, along with amps and cables and all the bits and pieces you accumulate when an instrument takes over you life. :)

JooKulele
01-08-2014, 06:19 AM
13 months and 5 ukeleles.

cantsing
01-08-2014, 09:42 AM
In 6 weeks, it will be the 3 years for me.

davidrboy
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Three-and-a-half great years. Don't know what I used to do with all my time...

peaceweaver3
01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Tomorrow morning will officially be 1 year for me since I got my first ukulele. I won't ever forget the day because it was one of the best days of my life. The uke has taught me a lot, not only about music, but about myself and I'm looking towards many more "anniversaries". So as the title says, how long have you been playing the ukulele? I think it would be cool to see the experience some people have on here.

Happy anniversary! Or is it birthday? :) Agreed, the uke has taught me a lot too, and about much more than playing music!

Technically I've been playing for something like 11 years 7 months. Got my first uke in June 2002 as a high school junior year grad present to myself. That was one of my worst years in general, except for the uke! But within that time, there were 3 years when I didn't play at all. Since I started up regularly in Sept. 2009, I consider myself a real uke player, meaning I play more than I don't. The uke is my only instrument now, by choice, though I've played many others. There's something about the simplicity, portability, the ease of just picking it up and playing, and dare I say it, it's cute too. :o

peaceweaver3
01-08-2014, 10:10 AM
As of today, two weeks; I got my first ukulele for Christmas. Since online fora have been tremendously helpful in my other hobbies - cycling, skiing, and billiards, among others - it seemed only natural to find a uke community to become a part of. Y'all seem like a nice enough bunch.

Great to hear this, congrats and welcome!

peaceweaver3
01-08-2014, 10:11 AM
5 days! Got my first uke on Saturday. So far so good. I love it!

Awesome! Shouldn't we have a special toast or something for this? Or an official song?

Mr. Uke Guy
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Awesome! Shouldn't we have a special toast or something for this? Or an official song?

A year from now there will be another thread like this and I’ll be able to say I just passed my 1-year anniversary on the uke. Let’s hope UAS hasn’t sunk its claws in me by then! I could see it happening, especially since mine is a beginner uke.

qarl
01-08-2014, 11:20 AM
About an hour. My Mainland came a little while ago. :)

PedalFreak
01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
It'll be 15 years this summer for me.

Dulcilo
01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
I had been aware of a growing interest within the mountain dulcimer community in ukulele workshops along with the dulcimer workshops. The two instruments really have nothing in common other than being stringed instruments with less than 6 strings, so I don't know how to explain all the ukuleles floating around at dulcimer festivals. But, I finally succumbed to the bug and bought a Fluke at the last festival I attended on Labor Day last year. Now I am hooked! When you pull out a dulcimer, people say "What's that." When you pull out your uke, people just start smiling. It's just fun!

PeteyHoudini
01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
It'll be my 8th year in 2014! Like many others, I played guitar since I was kid and only touched a ukulele once in my life when I was 13 years old. Took it up when I was 40! LOL

Petey

greyghost
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
About 3 years now. I've had guitars and basses off and on for over 35 years, and I've applied myself far more (and am having a lot more fun) with the ukulele. I've sold off a bunch of guitars because I just don't play it anymore. It took me a long time, but I found my instrument!

NewKid
01-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Two years in February. Thanks to all my friends at KC Ukesters and Ukulele Fight Club of Kansas City. I used to play guitar alone. With the uke I am making music with friends I would have never met otherwise.

Appalachian picker
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
I got a soprano about a year ago and a vintage baritone about 6 months ago. I've since given the soprano away to a friend and find that I am trending more to my acoustic guitar that was given to me about the same time as the baritone. I think I picked up the uke due to the relative ease of playing and learning, but find that I enjoy listening to acoustic guitar music more than ukulele music even though the guitar is a LOT more challenging to play. I'm finding that I am more inclined to practice and work on music that I actually like to hear.

iamesperambient
01-10-2014, 05:29 AM

Been playing abut 11 years now.

mds725
01-10-2014, 05:42 AM
I got a soprano about a year ago and a vintage baritone about 6 months ago. I've since given the soprano away to a friend and find that I am trending more to my acoustic guitar that was given to me about the same time as the baritone. I think I picked up the uke due to the relative ease of playing and learning, but find that I enjoy listening to acoustic guitar music more than ukulele music even though the guitar is a LOT more challenging to play. I'm finding that I am more inclined to practice and work on music that I actually like to hear.

Have you considered a steel string tenor guitar tuned DGBE? It's only four strings, so it lacks the fullness of a 6-string acoustic guitar, but it's like playing an acoustic guitar without having to deal with the two (A and E) bass strings. I took acoustic guitar lessons after getting a tenor guitar (like you, I prefer the lower voice of guitars and baritone ukuleles), but the extra strings, larger fretboard and the smaller spacing between strings has been frustrating for me, so I tend to pick up the tenor guitar or a baritone ukulele when I just want to play.

molokinirum
01-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Been strumming now for 3 1/2 years

fernandogardinali
01-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I've been playing for 5 years now. I never realized that, it's a long time!

bunnyf
01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
It's been a bit over 2 years. I've made a lot of progress(I play ALOT) and have had a blast doing it. For some reason, when we ukers meetup at jams, how long have you been playing is one of the first things other ukers ask. When someone says one year and they're crazy good, it lights a fire under me(not to be competitive). I think I'm gonna start telling people I've only been playing for a few months...it's like telling folks you're older than you are, then they tell you how good you look.

Nickie
01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Just a little over 3 years. It's been a blast! I'd say that about 8 more people are now playing because of me, 3 of them from work! I'm on my ninth uke!

Sylvan
01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I got my first uke about 5 years ago and played it a bit but I ended up putting it aside and forgetting about it for a while. This past June I was ill for a while and off work so I picked up my uke and dedicated myself to learning its secrets while I had the free time and got better. I then bought a Boat Paddle 12 Fret here on the marketplace and have really been hooked ever since. Prior to the uke, I am also one who played mountain dulcimer for a few years. I still enjoy playing the dulcimer once in a while for its beautiful sound but the uke is just so much more handy to have and fun to play anywhere.

rowjimmytour
01-11-2014, 06:20 PM
In May, I wil have played 3 years.
I hit 3 years on xmas and still have a hell of a lot to learn:music:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Twenty eight years. I should be better than I am though......

Kyle23
01-11-2014, 08:10 PM

How long have you been building?

geetee
01-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Sound sample, please.

Bought my first in 1980. I've got nine now.
Wait...What? We're supposed to play them?

UkeyDave
01-11-2014, 08:48 PM
I have been playing for 20 months.

iDavid
01-12-2014, 12:40 AM
About 4 years, but I was distracted by a guitar for 6 months or so.

Shady Wilbury
01-12-2014, 01:01 AM
I have been playing for 20 months.

Wow! Your skill is phenomenal. Kudos to you, man.

therinkydinktink
01-12-2014, 04:39 AM

*BLATANT SUCK UP TO THE LUTHIER*
You don't look old enough :rolleyes: concert size please ;)

A friend and I worked out last night I'd been playing approx' 11 months.
Played a LOT in that time tho' (some days have been 7-8 hours+)

Matt.

SweetWaterBlue
01-12-2014, 06:26 AM
I hate to admit it, because I still suck, but going on 5 years.

Doc_J
01-12-2014, 01:03 PM
I've been playing since August 09. Found UU right away. While I too am not as good as as I should be, I enjoy every minute playing. I do believe I'm improving, some days more than others. :)

4stringjonty
01-13-2014, 01:54 AM
A month for me

engravertom
01-13-2014, 05:55 AM
About 4 years, but I was distracted by a guitar for 6 months or so.

For me, I've also been playing 4 years, but the guitar distraction has lasted for about the last year.

I picked up a baritone again recently, and kept going back to the guitar ( which I had reduced to 5 strings anyway!)

Then, I put a high D on the baritone, and made it re entrant. Started picking it up more. Then, I tuned it up to A. and now I pick it up a lot. Re visiting the Uke songs I learned before, and learning new songs with the Uke again.

The year on the guitar was really worth it though, and I will still use it for certain things. But the Uke is coming back big for me again.

:)

cdkrugjr
01-13-2014, 06:12 AM
My dad taught me how to play in C *COUGHS* years ago. He still has his Soprano, though the bridge needs work . . .

Played rarely until last year when daughter wanted one for Christmas, and when it was time to go to our pusher...er . . . local Uke shop, Her Ladyship said, "Get yourself one too. Merry Christmas."

dickadcock
02-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I started in '61 on a Harmony soprano, which frequently needed tuner tightening. It was great for school/band trips in those pre- Walkman/iPod days. After being distracted by a pretty shape, I took a half century or so break, from the uke to cavort with the Martin guitar. Last spring, my wife decided she'd like to learn to play the uke. We both got in, with a soprano for her and a tenor for me. A concert and baritone soon followed ... Journey continues ...

actadh
02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Started about 6 weeks ago on Christmas Eve 2013. I had picked up an all plastic ukulele as a "back-up" gift in case I needed an unexpected present to give. I found myself alone on Christmas Eve, opened it, and was impressed with the geared tuners on what was essentially a toy. Found a website with 11 essential chords that had finger placement included, and learned them that night. Been playing ever since.

Now I am up to three ukuleles - the original which I am getting ready to restring with Martin M600's and will be my travel uke,. I found a vintage Kay in a second hand shop that needs tuners replaced and it is my future work project. My lovely Luna Solid Spruce Top arrived last week.

hucklelele
02-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm coming up on six months I think- and just recently got a tenor to complete my collection of all four sizes..
That's the best part- they don't cost an arm and a leg if you don't want to pay that.

Camsuke
02-05-2014, 09:31 AM
What's the time now?

Ukejenny
02-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Got the flu, Christmas of 2012. Finally was able to sit up about a week later, so I sat on the sofa and tinkered with my son's blue Mahalo for two days and was hooked. Just over a year for me.

aman
02-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Four days

Paul

BIGDB
02-05-2014, 01:37 PM
December 26th was my 2yr "anniversary" since I got my first ukulele. Loved it everyday of it and looking forward to getting better and seeing what new things will happen with the uke

KevinV
02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
~4 years. I kick myself for not picking up an 'uke when I was stationed in Hawaii in the 80's. I was focused on guitar and never learned the joys of ukulele until I got one for kicks in 2010. It ended up being my primary instrument in the band I was in at that time.

5020gj
02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I got my first uke sometime in the late '80's. I don't remember exactly when but I went to the local music store with a friend. It was my birthday and he wanted to buy me something. A soprano uke was on the wall and it looked interesting. He bought it for me.

Over the years I learned a few chords and a few songs. I played a little for my kids, nieces, and nephews but never seriously practiced. My kids are pretty much grown now and I finally have some time to put the work in. I'm having so much fun!

Fast Fab
02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Got my uke last February, just started playing it about a month ago. Really enjoying it!

Brian W
02-06-2014, 06:22 AM
It's been a little over a year for me. I was primarily a guitar player (30+ years), until I got bitten by the bug after buying a Mitchell 12th fret concert last January for my daughter. I ended up playing it much more than her, which led to my first purchase of a Pono tenor back in February 2013. I later sold that and began experimenting with different scales lengths, until finally deciding that the tone and feel of a soprano was the best for me. I currently own only one uke, an Ohana SK-35, but I recently contacted Willie Wixom to build me a custom dreadnought body soprano, that should hopefully be finished in April. After that, next on my radar will either be a vintage (1950's) Martin Style O that is in good shape, or a Ken Timms replica of the same uke. Then after that probably a KoAloha KSM-00, then after that.... ;)

dickadcock
02-27-2014, 11:44 PM
A very interesting thread, & a question one might ask when first meeting a uker. I hope it keeps going for a while.

Icelander53
02-28-2014, 02:57 AM
On my third month. I started in my 60th year. Playing songs by Nine Inch Nails. :) It got me out of a pretty severe several year long depression.

Tudorp
02-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Been a guitar and/or bass player since the 1970's. Picked up and enjoy the Uke about 5 years ago. Haven't played bass in about 10 years, and rarely play guitar anymore.

Fast Fab
02-28-2014, 04:12 AM
It will be one year on March 5th..

Ukulele Eddie
02-28-2014, 04:57 AM
About six months as I think I started in late August ('13).

sonomajazz
02-28-2014, 05:15 AM
One year anniversary last November. Played guitar off and on for about a jillion years. Play the uke most every day now and picked up the guitar and bass again recently. Trying to learn a little jazz uke, some great free resources on the web machine. Also have Craig Bandau's book and Glen Rose material.
Thought I was an early adopter here until I found out my uke club, Ukulele Friends Ohana (UFO), has been meeting for over 13 years!!

Freeda
02-28-2014, 05:22 AM
2 years now. Life changing.

JoeJazz2000
01-09-2015, 03:02 AM
This thread has been quiet a while, so I'll wake it up..
I added uke to 50 years of guitar playing 2 years and 2 months ago. I'm up to 6 ukes: 2 concerts, 2 sopranos, a tenor, and a banjo. I can't put them down. I work hardest on soprano because its size requires more concentration for me. I make more mistakes on soprano because of the smaller fingerboard, because of the playing position which causes my strumming finger to catch in the strings. A challenge, yes, but I love it.

vcs700s
01-09-2015, 03:27 AM
Three months.

Most fun I have had musically in fifty years!

actadh
01-09-2015, 03:43 AM
One year and a couple of weeks - Christmas Eve 2013

cua94
01-09-2015, 03:46 AM
2 years last month.

Rllink
01-09-2015, 04:01 AM
I can't keep track, because it keeps changing.:)

philpot
01-09-2015, 04:30 AM
A little over four years. I got my first ukulele on my birthday and haven't been able to put it down since.

mariegan7
01-09-2015, 04:48 AM
I have been playing for 7 months now since this past summer. My sister saw an ad for beginning ukulele classes in the local community newsletter. She didn't want to take it alone so she begged me to take it with her. She bought me an ukulele and paid for tuition for both of us. I reluctantly attended. From the first day of class I have been hooked! Now I practice more than she does!

hendulele
01-09-2015, 05:03 AM
Started right around Labor Day 2013, so 16 months!

wrestlingmatt51
01-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Technically 10 years. I got my first ukulele for 10 bucks on a vacation to Hawaii and messed around, learned some basic stuff, but didn't play all that often. It was 6 years ago when I got my first "real" ukulele and got serious about it.

DownUpDave
01-09-2015, 05:12 AM
On my third month. I started in my 60th year. Playing songs by Nine Inch Nails. :) It got me out of a pretty severe several year long depression.

That is great to hear the uke could do that for you. There truely is something holistic about the little fellow isn't there.

I started in March of 2014, 10 months and 9 ukes in and I am more addicted then ever.

PhilUSAFRet
01-09-2015, 05:33 AM
On my last birthday when I turned 73, it was 63 years, although I've only been serious the last 8 or 10. I received a pre-War Martin O on my 10th birthday.

Triduana
01-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Since October 2014.

After a recurring dream in which I was a world-class ukulele player, I decided to buy one for a bit of fun. I bought a yellow Mahalo with an Amazon gift voucher I had, and to be honest wasn't really expecting much. How wrong I was - I've played it almost every day since. Probably my best purchase of the year! (Though I'm not quite world-class yet)

I get the feelng I'll be purchasing another one soon though!

OregonJim
01-09-2015, 10:33 AM

That is the best reason for picking up a uke that I've ever heard.

CeeJay
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
About 5 feet 10 ...

timmit65
01-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Uke a couple of years..Bass and guitar longer than I want to admit!

Nickie
01-09-2015, 03:38 PM
I hope it's ok to re-post here a year later...
Around 4 years, it's been a blur.....14 ukes later....
What a great thread!

Jeffelele
01-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Been about a year. Bought a Lanikai lu-21t from HMS. Played it almost every day.

Jeff

Rock-A-Hula
01-09-2015, 06:40 PM
since September, 2008

Manalishi
01-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Since around February 2009 I reckon....

Uncle Leroy
01-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Nearly five years since my addiction began. Still loving it!

iDavid
01-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Pretty close to five years, I guess it is my main instrument at this point :)

Rakelele
01-10-2015, 01:41 AM
Bought my first cheap uke in 2005, just for the heck of trying it. But it all really began in 2010, when my wife wanted to learn to play along. Together, we learned about different sizes, and woods, and makers. Since then, we have acquired nearly 20 ukes, but that story should be told over in the UAS-thread... :D

Booli
01-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Like many others here on UU, I too am a 'reformed' guitar player.

Having played guitar for 35 yrs, and then starting both UU and buying my first ukulele in April 2013, I am now obsessed forever and have since acquired more than a dozen ukuleles of all shapes and sizes.

I've even tried some hack-job amateur lutherie (which is not fit for human consumption - ha ha)

April 2015 will be my 2 yr uke-anniversary, and I feel like my life prior to discovery this instrument was not nearly as full of joy on a regular basis.

UU is a haven, and also serves as an enabler to feed my UAS, but I would not have it any other way. :)