WTB A Guilele?

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3uffer

Reaction score
Hey guys. so the semester is about to begin for me and I'm looking to bridge my classical guitar studies with my UAS. hahaha. anyone have a good guilele they were on the fence for selling but haven't gotten around to doing so yet? :)
I'm looking to spend $100-$200 total but could be persuaded to toss $400 max if the deal is (THAT) good. send me your offers with pics if there are any, please! (also, any good tips/advice from current guilele owners/uke-tarists are certainly welcomed. I may end up caving and just ordering a Gretsch from Elderly if nothing good comes up :D)
Thanks, guys!

I gave mine to my Son. I feel the Cordoba's are a better instrument all around than the Yamaha. I think they sound waaaay better. Strings are critical on guileles in general.

If you're studying classical guitar, you might want to consider an alto guitar or requinto instead. A guitalele is tuned to requinto tuning (high string to A like uke), and the requinto/alto will feel more like your classical guitar in terms of the neck, string spacing, etc.

if anyone had a reasonably priced KoAloha D-VI, I might be in the market...
...sorry to piggyback on the post...

I play both Classical Guitar and Uke, while I love both, I find a guitalele a bit too tight for me... funny is that I can play any size uke with no issue but for some reason the guitalele neck seems to be a bit too tight for me.

Anyway, aside from Yamaha's plain guitalale, I think they now have a Sunburst.

I traded up my plain guitalele and Picked up a Sturnal 1/2 sized guitar a while ago.. not a bad instrument, used for children to study classical guitar.

Might want to check these out as it's got a more "classical guitar" build & finish. one is on ebay right now. Great price so far. Ending tomorrow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strunal-Cze...r-/231128503335?pt=Guitar&hash=item35d0551427

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you guys for the awesome advice! I believe a requinto may be a good alternative, but I was wondering what the main differences between a requinto and a guilele were... is it just the neck width, or are there other things that affect playability and sound?
Also, to add a bit more to my classical guitar studies - they're mainly to help me get better at guitar in general. I don't plan to study classical guitar for the rest of my time at college hahaha. Also, I don't know if buying a requinto would be good (the neck on my classical guitar is kind of nice, but it's still a bit of a stretch at times xP), and I wanted to get a guilele just to get a different approach to my studies in classical guitar. Also, when I want to just tinker a bit with an instrument at my desk, I like the size of my ukes compared to my full-size classical guitar (I'm really lazy and don't like to have the proper posture when I'm just plucking away xD). I think these are my main reasons for wanting a guilele (other than the obvious problem with UAS), but if anyone else wants to chime in, I would be really thankful. Thanks a lot for helping me out, guys! :)

I recently got in a KoAloha D-VI and a Kanilea Guitarlele. Either one has a tone that will rival a classical Martin. They are great instruments but very different. The D-VI has a tenor scale and smaller neck so if you have small hands, your full spread chording hand measures less then 8 inches, you should be playing a tenor size guitarlele. The Kanilea has a baritone scale and a wide classical guitar neck, you need big hand to play it in comfort. I didn't like the guitarlele tuning so I put a set of Martin classical guitar strings on the Kanilea. The tone quality was absolutely amazing. Either of these instruments are outstanding and if all you can afford is a "player" in these models you will never regret it. Just make sure you pick one sized to fit your play.

There is a fellow in our group has been studying classical guitar with John Doan. I sold him my Giannini gitarlele. He loves it. When he was visiting last week I handed him the 6 string Eddy Finn I just received from the company. It comes with Aquila strings. He liked the way it felt and sounded. He also is a builder, so he also spoke well of the finish; the choice of Basswood for the body and neck, but was really impressed with the Martin body shape for the back. It slopes forward of the waist on the front bout, and also has an arch from side to side. It is not a flat back.
It has the classic slothead headstock. It is $110.00 if you use PayPal...$100 for a check. Shipping will probably be $25.00 . It is new, and you will be the registered owner for the warranty.

this is some very helpful advice.
I recently got in a KoAloha D-VI and a Kanilea Guitarlele. Either one has a tone that will rival a classical Martin. They are great instruments but very different. The D-VI has a tenor scale and smaller neck so if you have small hands, your full spread chording hand measures less then 8 inches, you should be playing a tenor size guitarlele. The Kanilea has a baritone scale and a wide classical guitar neck, you need big hand to play it in comfort. I didn't like the guitarlele tuning so I put a set of Martin classical guitar strings on the Kanilea. The tone quality was absolutely amazing. Either of these instruments are outstanding and if all you can afford is a "player" in these models you will never regret it. Just make sure you pick one sized to fit your play.

I just gave my Yamaha guilele to my nephew,
- I thought it very nice - body size as a tenor uke, tuned E to E. Laminated body I believe. Nice travel size!
My niece got my Arai Pepe - that I got off the marketplace here a while ago. - all sold woods - made in Spain. beaut little thing! - The
Pepe was designed as a childs guitar - so the neck is very narrow.
My currant fling, is a Lone Star requinto that was made in Mexico, that I got from Jake Wildwood at Antebellum. True guitar sound and sized body,
but with a short scale and tuned to E to E.
Lastly - you should check out a Tacoma Papoose! Metal strings, small - narrow body, very well made. also tuned E to E. Sound is between a guitar and a mandolin.
I like them all equally! -:)o)
Ed G

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions and offers. After a little more digging (and a small trip to my local Guitar Center) I managed to narrow down my wants a little further... I don't think a requinto is my preferred size, but I like the finger spacing. I looked again at some of HMS' videos with guileles and I think the one I would be most likely to enjoy would be the Pepe Romero guilele. I know I definitely can't get that specific one, but from what I can tell, I think the design is just what I would like. Anyone know of any guileles that would have something of the same finger spacing and size? The Kanilea guilele looks good to me too, but I wanna explore my options (and preferably spend not as much money). Any ideas?
(By the way, I feel as though this post gradually turned from a WTB post into a Buying Tips post hahaha.)

Looks like Pepe Jr is coming out with a smaller than Parlor nylon string in guitar tuning soon under the budget label romero creations.

I have a Mele guitarlele with the factory installed internal PU, all Koa, that I'd consider selling if you are interested.

William

Last edited:
I have a Tacoma Papoose, they are awesome! It's steel strings and same tuning, I really like the steel. They come up on eBay every now and then.

The Los Angeles Craigslist has a Bruko octave guitar that I just spotted tonight, could be worth a look.

[QUOTE The Kanilea guilele looks good to me too, but I wanna explore my options (and preferably spend not as much money). Any ideas?

Kanilea now has a second label and produces a brand called Islander and they just came out with a guitarlele for a inexpensive price. I just saw and held one at Aloha Warehouse in San Francisco and the neck felt wide like a guitar. I don't want to say how so I don't say the wrong price. I do know when he said it to another customer I thought it was inexpensive.

I have the Yamaha Guitalele and the Cordoba Guilele. I'm going to sell one of them - I like them both so it's a tough decision. The Cordoba has the Aquila strings (strings 1-3) and the Yamaha has Savarez I believe. Both are tuned A-A (fourths and a third, like a guitar with the capo on the 5th fret). I'm off to an appointment but will be happy to talk more about them. I really like them both - they just sound a little different and I believe the nut widths are a different width. I'm not an expert on posting on UU, but I'd be happy to send you pics or any other info. They are a lot of fun. My home email address is providenceV39 at aol dot com if you'd like to email be directly. I'm in San Diego. Jill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom