Question!!!

Damon.

Reaction score
While browsing ukes (and drooling over many, may I add) I found a lot of "long neck" ukes. What is the specific difference between long necks and normal or standard necks? Is it the number of frets?

typically a long neck soprano would have a concert neck and a longneck concert would have a tenor neck. I think they're also called super soprano or super concert. Don't think I've ever heard of a longneck or super tenor, which would have a baritone neck, I suppose. The distance between frets increases as you go from soprano to concert to tenor.

There are definitely super tenors, with baritone necks. I haven't heard of any super baritones, but I'm sure if there are any someone will post about it!

typically a long neck soprano would have a concert neck and a longneck concert would have a tenor neck. I think they're also called super soprano or super concert. Don't think I've ever heard of a longneck or super tenor, which would have a baritone neck, I suppose. The distance between frets increases as you go from soprano to concert to tenor.

Yup. There are some long neck tenors:) Not common though.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/lichty-custom-long-neck-tenor-chechen-spruce.html

I think I remember seeing a super tenor in the marketplace in the last few weeks. Seems like it was a Hawaiian "K brand" if I remember right, Kamaka, maybe?

John

William King made a long scale tenor. 19" scale. Here's one.

I think I remember seeing a super tenor in the marketplace in the last few weeks. Seems like it was a Hawaiian "K brand" if I remember right, Kamaka, maybe?

John

I have what is called a Super Tenor Kanile'a, but I thought it referred to the oversized lower bout.

Kanilea supers are about the box not the neck. The Tenor long neck is 2 inches longer than a standard tenor neck but one inch short of a baritone neck. Unless it is a custom as shown...Kamaka is the only one that makes them basically at this time <HF-3L>. KoAloha makes a super concert and soprano...as does Kamaka...not sure about others...I have 2 HF-2Ls love them!!!

This seems to get more confusing, the more answers that appear! I started on a soprano and upgraded to a concert for a little more room between frets and concerts have a bit larger body for a louder and fuller sound. I recently got a longneck soprano, merely for the concert size neck and the benefit of a lower price, because all I wanted was a laminate to have lying around on the coffee table or conveniently hanging on the wall, plus it's the shiny one of my collection.

The term was always a bit confusing to me, since I consider the sizes to be about the neck and fret spacing. Seems like it would be clearer (to me at least) if a longneck soprano was called a small body concert! Maybe some people prefer the concert neck and the soprano sound, which would be hard for me to explain, but my style 0 sounds like what I would describe as a bit twangy or plunky (which I love). And my Martin C1K concert has a fuller, richer sound.

Top Bottom