bookmatch soundboard with variable grain spacing

Dougf

Reaction score
Any opinions on which side should be joined of variable grain width bookmatch sets, the tighter side or the wider side?

I join the tighter grain side.....so the tight grain comes out in the middle of the soundboard

I've done both with no appreciable difference in the sound, but the conventional thinking is to put the tighter grain to the centre. HIH :)

Conventional wisdom for putting the tighter grain at the joint is because tighter grain tends to be stiffer. But that's not always the case and I have known builders who will put the wide grain in the middle if it is stiffer. But wide grain in the middle tends to look funny because we aren't used to seeing it that way.

There is an interesting comment I saw on a couple of YouTube video's by Dick Boak from Martin Guitars. How they book match tops (wide or narrow grain) in the centre depending on the body wood. One worked better for Mahogany, the other with Rosewood.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Seems this is another one of those with no hard and fast rules. I went with joining the tight side, we'll see how it turns out.

Top Bottom