chord interval charts

kebal

Reaction score
I've been trying to understand better why chord shapes at different places on the fingerboard have the shape they do... I'm sure this information exists elsewhere, but I haven't seen it in exactly this form, so I created a couple of charts for myself.

The primary interval chart shows all the intervals on the ukulele fingerboard. To use it, align it with the root (R) of the chord you want to form. The chart then shows the interval (modulo the octave) to every other note on the fingerboard. For example, if want to play a dominant 7th chord (M3 - P5 - m7) with root on the 1st string, the chart shows where those notes can be found. (You can find the interval structure for many chord types here.)

To make it a little easier to use in practice, the second chart shows just the intervals for common chord types. Each chart is simply a subset of the primary chart, with unused intervals removed. I've also overlaid typical fingerings. In this form, it's very close to the chart shown on this page, but with a little more detail about the chord structure.

Anyway, posting here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Cheers,
Ken

Attachments

• intervals.jpg
    intervals.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 76
  • common_chords.jpg
    common_chords.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 98
That does look interesting. Sometimes you have to look at information like that in different presentations before it can really take hold. I will study these and see if more of it sinks in.

Thanks,
Lori

Top Bottom