PDA

View Full Version : The Samples: "Giants" (multi-track ukulele cover)

Hochapeafarm
01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I was lucky enough to be in Boulder, CO around the time when the birth of a band called The Samples happened. They were one of my favorite college bands -- and they're one of my favorite bands of all time, actually. Another UU member, krabbers, recently posted a uke cover of another song by The Samples called "Who Am I" (here's the link if you want to check it out -- and I recommend that you do, cuz it's awesome -- click here (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89320-Who-am-I-samples-cover-by-The-Hedge-Inspectors&highlight=samples+hedge) ). Krabbers'/Hedge Inspectors' cover inspired me to rekindle my love of The Samples and their music. That all said, I did a cover of my own, "Giants," off of the album 'No Room' (1992).

A handful of milestones for me in putting this cover together:

#1) This is the first time I *attempted/tried* a uke solo/lead uke part in a song.

#2) I used two ukuleles for this song: a) my Martin T1K tenor with Low G for the "bass line" and for the finger-picking parts b) my Kala Golden Acacia tenor with High G for the strumming/chunking part AND the uke solo/lead uke part.

#3) I incorporated a couple other "instruments" -- Fisher Price xylophone (they're not just for kids, ya know) and my attempt at a homemade guiro -- that instrument that sounds like a ratchet -- I used a Mead spiral notebook with a carpenter's pencil. Hmmmm...kinda worked.

OK, enough rambling, here's the video (done in GarageBand and iMovie with my iPad)...thanks for watching. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHbBd7cv-Y

Booli
01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Hi Chelle!

OMG this is so great!

It kind of reminds me of Simon & Garfunkle's 'Sounds of Silence' and I too was a HUGE fan of The Samples.

One reason was that the singer's voice reminded me of Sting (of whom I am also a HUGE fan) and like Sting their (The Samples) lyrics actually said something meaningful instead of just 'hey baby baby' (no that there's anything wrong with that) but sometimes it's nice when the music takes you to another place and you can forget about your own burdens for a while as you listen to it.

I was in fact, taken to such a place while listening to and watching your video. All the instruments in your arrangement are so well balanced, and for doing this on the iPad, you definitely have some skills there :) Your rendition is like some music from a dream.

I have not seen ALL of your videos, but I have seen a few of them, and so far this one is my favorite.

Keep up the good work. I am eagerly looking forward to your next videos :)

-Booli

Hippie Dribble
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Chelle this really is a classy, classy effort in all aspects.

Lovely arrangement, beautiful harmonies and nice work on the 3rd uke. Add to that a warm, lush mix and you've done the song and yourself proud.

You continue to set new standards with each piece you perform. Congratulations mate!

UkuEroll
01-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Chelle, that was amazing, beautiful scenery and fantastic arrangement, your progressing at a great rate of knots. This has got to be your best to date, well done.

Hochapeafarm
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Chelle!

OMG this is so great!

It kind of reminds me of Simon & Garfunkle's 'Sounds of Silence' and I too was a HUGE fan of The Samples.

One reason was that the singer's voice reminded me of Sting (of whom I am also a HUGE fan) and like Sting their (The Samples) lyrics actually said something meaningful instead of just 'hey baby baby' (no that there's anything wrong with that) but sometimes it's nice when the music takes you to another place and you can forget about your own burdens for a while as you listen to it.

I was in fact, taken to such a place while listening to and watching your video. All the instruments in your arrangement are so well balanced, and for doing this on the iPad, you definitely have some skills there :) Your rendition is like some music from a dream.

I have not seen ALL of your videos, but I have seen a few of them, and so far this one is my favorite.

Keep up the good work. I am eagerly looking forward to your next videos :)

-Booli

Hi, Booli! Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, for your support and encouragement! Yes, I totally agree with you about how Sean Kelly and Sting have such similar styles in how they sing. And, yes, the messages in the songs that The Samples sing are incredibly powerful and meaningful! I am so happy that I was in Boulder during the time that this band came to be -- pretty cool to think to back all those years ago when they were first starting out! Did you ever hear of the movie that recently came about about them? It's called "The Samples -- The Best Band You've Never Heard" -- here's the Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Best-Band-Youve-Never-Heard/128504723837689. It's on YouTube, but in separate parts -- I think nine parts altogether. My hubby and I watched the movie recently; it was very cool! Back in 2010, the original members of the band had a reunion in Denver. My uke teacher played at the same show!

Chelle this really is a classy, classy effort in all aspects.

Lovely arrangement, beautiful harmonies and nice work on the 3rd uke. Add to that a warm, lush mix and you've done the song and yourself proud.

You continue to set new standards with each piece you perform. Congratulations mate!

Eugene Uke, that was soooooo wonderful of you to say -- heartfelt gratitude to you, my friend!!!

Welcome back Chelle! It's wonderful to see you posting again. I must agree totally with Booli & Eugene, this is by far your best video to date, really excellent work. Please keep them coming!

Hi, Campbell! I am happy to be back with a fresh start! Thank you for helping me and guiding me along my uke journey -- you are an amazingly supportive person and mentor -- thank you!!!

Chelle, that was amazing, beautiful scenery and fantastic arrangement, your progressing at a great rate of knots. This has got to be your best to date, well done.

Hi there, Leroy! I am absolutely thrilled to see your feedback -- thank you! You always motivate me so much with your encouragement! I am so glad that you liked the scenery in the video -- all from the Pacific Northwest -- the western and central part of our state of WA. Thank you, again, for commenting :-)

Booli
01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Hi, Booli! Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, for your support and encouragement! Yes, I totally agree with you about how Sean Kelly and Sting have such similar styles in how they sing. And, yes, the messages in the songs that The Samples sing are incredibly powerful and meaningful! I am so happy that I was in Boulder during the time that this band came to be -- pretty cool to think to back all those years ago when they were first starting out! Did you ever hear of the movie that recently came about about them? It's called "The Samples -- The Best Band You've Never Heard" -- here's the Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Best-Band-Youve-Never-Heard/128504723837689. It's on YouTube, but in separate parts -- I think nine parts altogether. My hubby and I watched the movie recently; it was very cool! Back in 2010, the original members of the band had a reunion in Denver. My uke teacher played at the same show!

That's very cool. That sounds like it was a great time in your life and it's so nice to have those kinds of memories.

I'll have to check out that video. Thanks for sharing the info about it.

The funny thing is that since around 1995 or so, I had not listened to nor thought about The Samples, but now I am going to see if I can get some of their music online. (no idea if I even still have the vinyl or tapes any more, or where the CD might be)

I used to listen to them all the time prior to ca. 1995.

Chelle, inspired by you, I'm off to memory lane :)

-Booli

Hochapeafarm
01-10-2014, 12:37 PM
That's very cool. That sounds like it was a great time in your life and it's so nice to have those kinds of memories.

I'll have to check out that video. Thanks for sharing the info about it.

The funny thing is that since around 1995 or so, I had not listened to nor thought about The Samples, but now I am going to see if I can get some of their music online. (no idea if I even still have the vinyl or tapes any more, or where the CD might be)

I used to listen to them all the time prior to ca. 1995.

Chelle, inspired by you, I'm off to memory lane :)

-Booli

Hi, Booli! So glad you are re-visiting your love of The Samples and their music, too! Yes, my hubby and I have been downloading many of their albums from iTunes to replace our old CDs. The movie is REALLY good, too -- it's cool to see what the band members are all up to since they departed -- I think all but one are still making/playing music -- Sean, Andy, Al, and Jeep -- I don't know about Charles. He is a movie producer, from what I recall. He did join the reunion in 2010, which is also online on YouTube, too -- VERY COOL! Thank so much, again, for your all of your supportive comments! :-)

SeattleSean
01-11-2014, 03:23 AM
This is really awesome! I have been a long time Samples fan (since college), and at least 100 times I've done the "hey guys, listen to this song by this great band" move to try to introduce them to people. I haven't yet played any of their songs on the uke, but they're on my list of bands/songs to figure out an arrangement for. ;-)

Love it!

Hochapeafarm
01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
This is really awesome! I have been a long time Samples fan (since college), and at least 100 times I've done the "hey guys, listen to this song by this great band" move to try to introduce them to people. I haven't yet played any of their songs on the uke, but they're on my list of bands/songs to figure out an arrangement for. ;-)

Love it!

Hi, Seattle Sean! Wow, thanks so much for the awesome comments -- I am really glad that you liked the song so much!!!! Thanks for watching the video and for taking time to write feedback, too!!! :-)

Newportlocal
01-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow! Really nice all the way around, and lots of feeling in that solo. Great job!

KoaDependent
01-15-2014, 04:18 AM
All the elements came together so nicely. Well done. And, for good measure, I've loaded up some Samples songs to check out in Spotify this morning. Thanks.

Hochapeafarm
01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow! Really nice all the way around, and lots of feeling in that solo. Great job!

Thank you so much, Richard! I am so glad you checked it out -- thanks, again, for the lovely comments -- means a lot to me! :-)

All the elements came together so nicely. Well done. And, for good measure, I've loaded up some Samples songs to check out in Spotify this morning. Thanks.

Hi, KoaDependent (love that name, btw!) -- thank you very much for watching and for your kind comments! Glad you to hear you're now in "Samples mode" as well -- they're just an awesome band! I am especially fond of and have a soft spot in my heart for the original line-up. :-)

keonepax
01-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Very wonderful production! Great arrangement, performance, and sound. The xylophone was a nice touch. Very nice slideshow, too. Was that you with your hair blowing in the wind with the sun right behind you? That was a great shot!