Dimensions

ukuleleCraig

Reaction score
I want to start stocking up my future timber supply. Would anyone like to help me in determining the best size to store all sections in? (Length/width/thickness) for all separate parts. Obviously for a small workshop I would rather cut into the right sizes (but for front/backs, and sides - these size of block to be stored could be size to get several book matches out)
Also - what would you treat the end grains with whilst in storage? If anything? Maybe glue or wax? If so, which type, brand, etc?

Anchorseal is the standard commercial product for sealing endgrain in the US. Latex house paint can also be used in a pinch. I use grated Gulfwax (paraffin for canning jelly) and mineral spirits to make a thick mixture for painting on. When finished I add the leftovers to my rust preventer spray bottle along with a few extra tablespoons of mineral spirits. This is sprayed on my Cast Iron surfaces every month or so and wiped off after it dries.

Last edited:
Hot wax can penetrate too far into the wood so I avoid it. I use either liquid floor wax or thick latex paint on green boards or log chunks to stop checking. If you've got termites or borers, spraying with a borax solution will help.

determining the best size to store all sections in?
An old woodwork teacher once told me "Leave your wood as long as possible for as long as possible". His reasoning being, once it's been cut, you've limited the options of what you can use it for in the future.
what would you treat the end grains with whilst in storage?
Acrylic paint slapped on thick - useful way to use up all your painting leftovers
Miguel

I've used both wax (melted and brushed on), and latex paint to seal end grain when stacking wood to dry. One thing I pass on to others that old-timers taught me: is to store your wood out of direct light, and where gentle, slow air circulation can surround your stock, which is stickered. Most woods will dry beautifully, and be quite stable dried this way. I'm fortunate to have access to a friend's old barn - it'e proven ideal. Have fun building your inventory.

Great! Thank you guys. Some of the ideas for sealing are ones I've never thought of for sure -I will research these some more - but also hopefully more members will contribute their tried and tested ideas.
Miketom - thanks for the sizing link - very useful. I was however meaning sizes of the raw cut block for long term storage. Would members recommend cutting a block at say 15"x10"(x2") for front and backs?? The point Lauburo made in regards to leaving uncut - I think you'll find most Luthiers do cut to a certain size for storage. Space is highly important in a shop and utilising it is essential. Would be great to get more feedback for sizing of stock material that members on here are storing for the future......?

Top Bottom