New Strings - Aquila 100U Super Nylgut

cigarfan

Reaction score
Roy Cone from http://www.ukuleleworld.com just out sent a note about some new strings called Aquila 100U Super Nylgut. He says quote:

The greatest news about AQUILA Super Nylgut ukulele strings is that they achieve the required pitch and stability IN A FEW SECONDS with an acoustic output even more focused and penetrating. No waiting around two weeks for strings to settle down and stop going flat! Boy, this is outstanding, and a really, really, really welcome improvement.

Sounds like another string set I should try. Right now it looks like they are only available for sopranos. If you try some please let us all know what you think.

Roy Cone from http://www.ukuleleworld.com just out sent a note about some new strings called Aquila 100U Super Nylgut. He says quote:

The greatest news about AQUILA Super Nylgut ukulele strings is that they achieve the required pitch and stability IN A FEW SECONDS with an acoustic output even more focused and penetrating. No waiting around two weeks for strings to settle down and stop going flat! Boy, this is outstanding, and a really, really, really welcome improvement.

Sounds like another string set I should try. Right now it looks like they are only available for sopranos. If you try some please let us all know what you think.

For myself I don't worry too much on the break in time as that is part of the process. The only way I would end up using their new supers is if the sound is not brash and dominant. So unless the sound qualities have changed I don't see a benefit to switch over.

Since I am an Aquila reseller, and about to restock, I'll see if Curtis has them in stock. $12.30 for a set of strings seems a bit on the high side. It costs about $0.50 to send them. Even a set of 8 strings for a taropatch cost less than that.

I "accidentally" bought a set of Aquila Super Nylgut strings for my Guitalele, thinking it was normal Nylgut.
Even after receiving it, I just thought maybe "Super Nylgut" was what Aquila was calling their normal Nylgut, oops.

They are still white in appearance, but they are different to the Nylguts we are used to.
The strings feel more bendy/flexible, a bit like taut elastic band (on the other hand, regular Nylguts feel like rigid plastic).
They feel a lot like the Aquila "Red" strings, for anyone with experience with them. Maybe the formula is very similar, but they put in a different colour dye.

So far I like them. I do feel that the break in period was quite short - they stay well in tune.
They are a bright, loud string - personally I feel they sound better finger-picked than strum.

I like them as a new change to regular Nylguts. If I see them readily available, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on more of my ukes.

Last edited:
I "accidentally" bought a set of Aquila Super Nylgut strings for my Guitalele, thinking it was normal Nylgut.
Even after receiving it, I just thought maybe "Super Nylgut" was what Aquila was calling their normal Nylgut, oops.

They are still white in appearance, but they are different to the Nylguts we are used to.
The strings feel more bendy/flexible, a bit like taut elastic band (on the other hand, regular Nylguts feel like rigid plastic).
They feel a lot like the Aquila "Red" strings, for anyone with experience with them. Maybe the formula is very similar, but they put in a different colour dye.

So far I like them. I do feel that the break in period was quite short - they stay well in tune.
They are a bright, loud string - personally I feel they sound better finger-picked than strum.

I like them as a new change to regular Nylguts. If I see them readily available, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on more of my ukes.

And I should buy this from someone who admits that he prefers to play guitar rather than ukulele??

:D

Mimmo, as you created these new strings: would you have some statement about differences compared to the "old" Nylgut strings (apart from the colour)?

I'm going to have to try these out, for sure :) I find the 2-week break in period that you typically have to go through annoying.

Several weeks ago I posted here asking why strings like these weren't available. I was surprised people posted that they enjoy breaking in new strings.

Has anyone else tried these yet? I'd like to hear a comparison to the standard Nylgut.

Top Bottom