NUD - Pono Macassar Ebony/ Pro Classic Cedar (ETSH-PCC)

cigarfan

Reaction score
I've been a guitar player since the late 60s and only recently (2011) began to appreciate and understand fit and finish and tonewoods. Until 2011 I was fat and happy with my Cedar topped Mahogany b/s guitar. Took it everywhere, never humidified and really didn't give it that much thought ... I just played music. That all changed in 2011 when I began to read up on luthery and the variety of materials used in building instruments. All of that to say I'm beginning to understand the wood combinations I like and the builders that know their tradecraft.

That is why I was excited about this uke. I love the warm dark sound of Cedar and Ebony Macassar and it's high density brings a unique clarity and depth of tone. Ko'olau/Pono's build is tight and clean. At this point I am quite happy with the sound and the looks. Gonna take some time to get to know this uke.

Relating to sound HMS says ...
Clean and crisp, rich with overtones and singing sustain, and coupled with a cedar top, the tone of this macassar is absolutely perfect for what many look for. Cedar has a "broken in" quality or a sweetness in sound that it takes other woods many years to attain. The Macassar Ebony adds definition, projection and reverberating sustain.

Sound clip from HMS (Corey Fujimoto)

Model: Pono ETSH-PCC
Top: Solid Cedar
Back and Sides: Solid Macassar Ebony
Binding: Koa
Headstock: Slothead
Headplate: Macassar Ebony
Rosette: Abalone
Fretboard and Bridge: Macassar Ebony
Fretboard Position Dots: MOP
Fretboard: Radiused
Nut and Saddle: Bone
Finish: Gloss
Dual Action Adjustable Truss rod
Ko'olau Pono Hardshell Case
Total length: 26 3/8”
Body Length: 12 1/16”
Body Width - Upper bout/Lower bout: 6 1/2” / 8 15/16”
Body Depth - Upper bout/Lower bout: 2 9/16” / 3 1/8”
Fretboard Width at Nut/12th fret: 1 3/8” / 1 11/16”
Soundhole diameter: 2 5/8”
Scale length: 16- 5/16”

Pics ... please pardon the reflections ... did my best (man this thing is glossy!)

2013-Pono-ETSH-PCC-01.jpg

2013-Pono-ETSH-PCC-02.jpg

2013-Pono-ETSH-PCC-03.jpg

2013-Pono-ETSH-PCC-04.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a very sweet uke. I love the Koa binding!

Nice. My wife has that same model and it is very nice as you well know. Once in a blue moon, I even sneak in a practice session with it. Enjoy!

Nice pics, Dennis. Glad you like it, too. How about those Savarez strings? Looks like whoever installed them really did a nice job! ;)

-Steve

Nice pics, Dennis. Glad you like it, too. How about those Savarez strings? Looks like whoever installed them really did a nice job! ;)

-Steve

Thanks Steve and I should say, pack job was marvelous! Couldn't wait the 24 hours. I broke down about 10 pm last night. Obviously, everything is great.

The string job does look nice. I'm going to have to reverse engineer that for my next restring.

Wow, what a sweet sounding ukulele. Looks wonderful as well. I am falling in love with cedar tops.
Cliff

Thanks Steve and I should say, pack job was marvelous! Couldn't wait the 24 hours. I broke down about 10 pm last night. Obviously, everything is great.

The string job does look nice. I'm going to have to reverse engineer that for my next restring.

Excellent! I'm glad you are happy with it. It's a beautiful instrument for sure. I sat down with it and played for about 10 minutes before I packed it up and starting wondering if I was making a mistake selling it! Great tone and playability. Glad I got to try it for a while at least. Enjoy!

-Steve

Very very nice !!!!!

It's a real stunner. I got the other cedar top Pono Pro Classic (Rosewood B&S) that went up in the UU Marketplace at the same time. If you're anywhere near as happy as I am, then you're having a great time with it! :)

Congrats Dennis and thanks for the pictures. Cedar / ebony is an awesome classic combo! Great look and should be great sound. Would love to hear it.

Congratulations! Beautiful photos, it looks very well made! Love the grain. My stupid craptop wont play the video....

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am certainly enjoying this uke. The cedar/macassar is an awesome combo and the Ko'olau folks did a fine job on the build. Thanks again Steve for offering this one up.

I have been looking at those Pono Macassar ebony cedar tenors since they were first posted on HMS, and your newly acquired specimen is beautiful! Enjoy it.

I have a guitar in Macassar ebony and sinker redwood that is among my very favorite Taylors and I would love to have a striped ebony ukulele as well.

I have been looking at those Pono Macassar ebony cedar tenors since they were first posted on HMS, and your newly acquired specimen is beautiful! Enjoy it.

I have a guitar in Macassar ebony and sinker redwood that is among my very favorite Taylors and I would love to have a striped ebony ukulele as well.

That's quite a coincidence. I have a Taylor like that which is part of the reason I acquired this uke.

Sinker-BTO-05.jpg

Wow, your Taylor is beautiful! The Laskin style arm bevel is a premium upgrade.

Mine is a little older, a 2008, and predates Taylor offering the arm bevels as a custom upgrade on the Build To Order guitars.

It has a few different features, including a sharp cutaway and red purfling.

I always liked the way the figure in the striped ebony matches the figure in the sinker redwood, and love the tone and projection.

TaylorBTOsinkerredwoodEbonycrop_zpsa05792bf.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom