Koaloha friction tuners.

Edgeguy

Reaction score
I just received a KoAloha concert from HMS, and boy is it beautiful :drool:! My question is when tuning they were tight. Do I need to do something to make them loser then re-tighten when in tune? I have never used friction tuners before so I need some help.

I will post pics soon

Just make sure to start below the note and tune up to pitch. The fictions tuners are pain to tune, but they hold the uke in tune really well.

You should be able to adjust the screw so they are just the right tension to hold yet still be easily adjustable.

This makes sense.

Congrats on the new ukulele. If this is your first one with friction tuners you may not need to do anything but get used to them. Best to give them a squeeze & turn at the same time. :cool:

I am a analytical chemist and I follow strict methods so for you to say squeeze and turn makes me think I am not squeezing in the right place:rulez:.

Huh? it is true if you squeeze firmly and turn at the same time you can adjust a friction tuner more easily. Some people using friction tuners for the first time try to turn only and get frustrated.
This makes sense.

I am a analytical chemist and I follow strict methods so for you to say squeeze and turn makes me think I am not squeezing in the right place:rulez:.

There seems to be some confusion here....KoAloha's friction tuners are adjusted with a screwdriver. No squeezing or twisting with fingers will adjust their tension.

So, for exact instructions.....Turn each screw an eighth of a turn to the left (to loosen). See if you like the tension. If not loose enough, repeat....

If you loosen enough that the peg slips, reverse the procedure until it is tight enough to hold it, and easy to turn. Friction tuners are not a pain, and the ones from KoAloha are exceptionally good.

Well my whole point was the op may not need to mess with the screws at all, especially if it is his first experience with friction tuners. It can take some time to get used to them.

Thanks for all the reply's. One needs to be loosened and the others work well with the squeeze (pinch) and turn. I knew this forum would help me.

congrat's on the new Koaloha! Where's the pic's?

Pics will be coming soon. Some of the ones I took today were blurry, and did not do her justice. So I will try again tomorrow.

Top Bottom