recording your tracks

geoffsuke

Reaction score
heyup uu!!!

just wanted to ask a couple of qs about recording. yesterday, i downloaded and audio engine called kristal (it's free), it is absolutely awesome, i already figured out the basic stuff on it and it is really easy to use, i'm interested in what you guys use for mixing your tracks???

and a question about microphones, my mic is rubbish, utter trash, i have to stick it actually inside my uke for it to record at a decent volume. so obviously i'm looking for a new one, what mic do you guys use??

cheers:D

peace out:shaka:

I only use hardware-based recorders. I have three. Fostex 16-track harddrive recorder. A 128 track Roland rack-mount. A 4-track Zoom that I use when I mix down the Fostex.

As for microphones, I run CAD M-177 and similar mics through a Behringer UB1202 mixer. I used to use a big ROSS 16-channel mixing board, but it took up the whole room.

Yo

yo,

as far as recording...what i use is an M-Audio interface (bought from GOOD GUYS MUSIC in kaimuki for $70 bucks used). i use audacity also...

but after talking with danyo and aldrine, it is not just the hardwares you use, but also the style of recording (i.e.: reverb, echo, and phasers), but also getting good levels. Best bet is to really go all out and indulge in programs. I am interested in a mac book (simply for the garage band's auto levels and great effects). so yeah...

ive done some recordings...and it just takes a lot of practice...

-duane:shaka:

if u have questions feel free to ask

I used to think my mic sucked.. but then I recorded and amplified using audacity. The mic still sucks, but at least you can hear the audio now.

you should get an interface, preferably a usb plug in. i used to plug straight into the computer, but there was a lot of white noise in the background.

when u go into the interface, it cuts it down SO much!!!
so amplifying and putting effects are more effective...

plus you should be using a decent mic that has a three-prong quarter inch plug.
its the best for what i bought at GOOD GUYS for 50 bucks. i forget the model, but its a decent mic which, itself cuts out a lot of backgrounds and white noises

-duane

I just use my video camera and plug an MXL 67g into the mic port for better sound.

Then I just upload the footage onto my computer and the audio and video are already synced. Then if I want to overdub tracks, it gets annoyingly long, but I just listen to what I recorded before on my ipod and video myself playing along with it-- can just keep ping-ponging the tracks back and forth that way.

I used Acid Pro, Audacity, and a reverb mixer.

The mics I use are a Samson, a broken Audiotecni-(something), and one from Don Quijote.

Protools and Audacity

I bought a audio recording pc card that came with protools (I think it was around 400$ at the time)

normally id pirate, but it came with the card and the card has like 15 imputs for any type of mic under the sun. It also came with a 50$ off on an 8track, so I went ahead and bought that too, it also has about a dozen other cables.

i use an m-audio interface with a behringer eurorack mixer for 2 keybaords and my audiotechnica condensor mic. i currently use garageband but am planning to get logic studio. i have another frend that uses pro tools and also reason which also will work too but to me other than being expensive. ive hear pro tools being a bit hard to work with but im sure you would get it in time.

recording things or being a producer is an expensive hobby but when you get that track down it makes u happy about it.

as for mics. for a home studio or what not, a decent condensor mic would be good. audio tecnica does great, u have AKG and shure and also MXL. most major label studios have nuemann mics but i really havent seen one under 1000 dollars. and im not exagerating haha. i hope i helped. good luck to u and every one laying down tracks.

Top Bottom