Inside I'm young and pretty
Too many things unfinished
My very breath taken away

Doctor you're no magician - and I am no believer
I need more than faith ... can give me now
I want to believe in miracles - not just belief in numbers
I need some magic to take me away

Lou Reed

Please wait until Midnight HI time to post entries. ...and yes people like Pabrizzer did notice this hint (a song by recently departed J.J. Cale).

great theme

and great time of year to look back

also...

i'm not sure where i am on a chart of lazy, from 1 to 100 - maybe around 150? 200? but might you at all perchance perhaps be thinking of posting a text list of the artists you talk about in the opening vid?

Really great theme Alan. Are you limiting us to only those you mentioned or any musician lost in 2013? I know there are more.

Really great theme Alan. Are you limiting us to only those you mentioned or any musician lost in 2013? I know there are more.

I have the same question--there are a bunch of additional ones whose songs would make for really interesting entries. Obviously, if you want to stick to the ones named in the original video, that's cool too--I've had a few ideas already.

Here's my really sloppy working copy of the list of folks I suggested. Any musician who died in 2014 is okay, in fact I included that in my notes below but neglected to mention it. Songwriters/composers are fine, too, of course.

We lost a lot of great musicians this year notably the ones listed below.

But, there were lots of others, some less well known to moved on during 2013. I thought we could sing some of their songs for the 95th Season of the Ukulele. Here’s a list to use as a jumping off point

Now, what I like for you to do is to learn a song by one of these folks (or some other musician that died this year) and give it what you’ve got in tribute. Working musicians have a tough life. This season is all about love and respect and not winning so I’ll use the draw a winner or two from the hat deal.

lou reed
junior murvin (vocal Police and Thieves)
j.j. cale

edie gorme
mac curtis - Rocabilly Hall of Fame
jackie lomax - guitarist songwriter with George Harrison and Eric Clapton among others
9/18/13: Lindsay Cooper, a bassoon and oboe player who performed with the band Henry Cow as well as Comus, National Health, News From Babel, and David Thomas and the Pedestrians, has died from multiple sclerosis. She was 62.
Ray Manzerek
chris kellly (Kriss Kross)
George Jones
Richie Havens

4/21/13:
Chrissy Amphlett, lead singer of the Divinyls (best known for the 90s hit "I Touch Myself"), has died from breast cancer/MS. She was 53.

Annette Joanne Funicello (born 1942, died April 8)

3/16/13: Jason Molina, the singer/songwriter known for Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co, has died of organ failure due to alcohol consumption. He was 39.
Alvin Lee
3/1/13: Jewel Akens, an R&B singer known for the song "The Birds and the Bees", died of complications from back surgery. He was 79.
Magic Slim
Yusef Lateef
Jim Hall
Marian McPartland
Eydie Gorme
Tompal Glaser
Harvey Lavan "Van" Cliburn Jr. (born 1934, died Feb. 27)
2/21/13: Cleotha Staples, an American gospel singer and- as part of the group The Staples Singers- a member of the Rock and Roll hall of Fame, had died of Alzheimer's. She was 77.
2/16/13: Tony Sheridan, an accomplished singer and once frontman of the Beatles, died at age 72. If you choose a Beatles tune or two to cover please make them selections from the Sheridan era.
2/12/13: Rick Huxley, bass player for the British Invasion pop-rock band Dave Clark Five, has died at age 72.

James Anderson DePreist (born 1936, died Feb. 8), among the first and only black conductors on the world stage,
2/4/13: Reg Presley, the singer of the British band The Troggs, died of lung cancer. He was 71.
1/30/13: Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of musical act The Andrews Sisters, died of natural causes. She was 94.
and, I guess the year started out rough on New Years Day
1/1/13: Musician and singer,
Patti Page, passed away from unknown causes. Page was most famous for her songs "Tennessee Waltz" and "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?" She was 85.

As I was watching the intro video I was thinking to myself..."Self, Gary is the Mac Daddy...He does make me wanna Jump Jump". I am glad you were right there with it. I will advise you that my pants are currently on backwards, but I keep falling down at the good part
Oh, I am so going to try to cover Kris Kross. I just hope it comes out wiggity, wiggity, wiggity wack!

Yes. That's fine, too. And, I know I said something about not including murder ballads in the intro but I was mostly thinking of addressing death in a more general way maybe from the sense of loss by the living which is probably most of what we'll find. You know like "No Depression in Heaven" and "Last Kiss" and "Vincent Black Lightning" serious songs. heh.

I know this is weird to say here but I really just want to provide a direction and have you kids do what you want to do. Really the only idea is to celebrate musicians and other folks we miss because of their absence from this neighborhood of the living.

So, If you think you ought to do the song, you're right.

thank you so much for taking the time to type up your list -

and...

just to confirm and double check...

we can also do a song by a living artist, about death?

Excellent! I knew I could count on you for such things.
Now I just need to get with Uke4ia about the Henry Cow...

Songs about death = about half the songs I've ever played on the ukulele. Still, there is one that I've been waiting on, putting off, until I could do it right. I guess it's time.

Great theme Alan, I was only thinking about a week ago that there had been no mention on here or over on the Island of Phil Everly who passed about 10 days ago. Their music and harmonies influenced so many great artists that its immeasurable !!

Any musician who died in 2014 is okay, in fact I included that in my notes below but neglected to mention it. Songwriters/composers are fine, too, of course.

Here's a link to 81 musicians who passed away this year. There are others i know of who are not mentioned. I'm hoping to do a tribute to an Alaskan musician who left us before his time.
http://www.ranker.com/list/dead-musicians-2013-famous-musician-deaths/rockboy?format=SLIDESHOW&page=1&action=lastpage

Good point, and one I've been thinking about since his death. Let's include him.

Great theme Alan, I was only thinking about a week ago that there had been no mention on here or over on the Island of Phil Everly who passed about 10 days ago. Their music and harmonies influenced so many great artists that its immeasurable !!

Oh wait...
<TCK> The last time I remember looking at these, I lost a dear friend. It was 2006, and in a very short span we were dealt a couple of blows. James Brown- we all probably remember that, but to every king there is a queen. In the same short time, we learned that Miss Ruth Brown had passed...and I huddled up and cried all night long. She was so amazing. Really, I have never wept so hard.
So I went through these, knowing full well I would just be sad afterwards. I found this gal...a young blonde, everything she ever did was garbage as far as I can estimate, but Nashville liked her at one point, and people bought her stuff. I guess that point was before "drug and alcohol addled kid" was the new title. Her boyfriend shot himself (speculate), and later she shot herself, with two kids, in the same spot. She took the dog before she went as well...and left those babies in the system. Not sure what road leads here, but it ain't one I want to travel.
Anyway- this stuff is just sad. I wish I could bring myself to do a Mindy McCready song this week, but that probably ain't happening. Just going through the list and had to pause.</TCK>
I figure this week I can ponder. If that is not OK, let me know boss.

Now I just need to get with Uke4ia about the Henry Cow...

I'm not so sure about Henry Cow (though I was listening to National Health yesterday), but death songs are in my wheelhouse. I should have at least a couple this week. When I play live, I have at times referred to "my vast stockpile of songs about death and infirmity." I did my best original song about death for Season 84, so I probably won't do this one again this week.

Top Bottom