How to Share Audacity File Online

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
A friend and I are going to try and make a virtual Album. He lives in Texas I live in the Carolinas. We are going to use Audacity to make the album (we are poor and it's free).

The size of the Audacity file set might make it very hard to share online. A short 70 SECOND song is about 30MG 3-4 minute song 90-100MB and a 1 hour recording is 1.44MB. Must be alot of overhead.

Has anyone here done this?

We don't want to send the mixed down MP3s back and forth with added tracks. We want to keep the originals all in tact for the final mix.

Our fall back is sending an old 128MB SD card iback and forth in the mail. I am in IT and if the fellow Geeks at work every found out I did it that way I would loose my UNIX access.:)

all you need to do is go to http://www.fileden.com/ then get an account. upload the file to your account. then give you buddy the account name and password then have him download the file. there done.

I had no clue Audacity files were that large. So you couldn't mix it down to mp3 and just add things together? You can still chop up the mp3s if needed.

If not, I'd reccomend trying mediafire.com or box.net. Buying a pro account for unlimited uploading would be better, faster and probably cheaper than send an SD card snail mail.

I'm gonna give Mediafire a try. Each audacity recording has one Project file and 20 - 140 1 meg data files. Lokks like that won't be a problem. Thanks for the info Dudes.

freewebs are REALLY good too

Oh yeah, it is kind of big, I just looked at some of my audacity stuff...not as big as your stuff though, I'm just running about 30mb for 4 min or so.

My suggestion would be SkyDrive. I have never tried it personally, but it seems to be a good option.

http://skydrive.live.com/

use dropbox.
u just drop it in there, and as long as both of you share the dropbox, the other will see it

How big they are will depend how many tracks you use, as well as on the length. Every track will take up the same space as if it were stored in .wav format. Mp3 and other compacted formats lose quality.

Doing an online collab is a cool thing (I want to do one... any volunteers?).

Audacity (and most any other recording software) will import mp3 files with no trouble. So what you do is this:

1. Do the original track(s).
  2. Mix down and transcode to mp3, saving your raw track files (the big ones) for later mixdown.
  3. Send the small mp3 file to collaborator.
  4. He/she imports it into Audacity, lays down the track(s) they're adding, and then does the same process (mix, make mp3 - saving the raw file for later -- and then ships you back the new mp3.
  5. Repeat until all tracks are laid down.
Now you only have to get the big files to your "designated final mixer" once, instead of having to pass them back and forth. It's not necessary for the collaborators to have the raw tracks, just the mp3 version so that they can hear the tune and play along. The higher audio quality of the big files is still there for the final mix.

I recommend MediaFire.com for file sharing but you should also look into various sites about online musical collabs. Some of them have online repositories for passing the files back and forth. Google is your friend here.

Good luck with the project and make sure you announce it when it's done. I'd love to hear it.

use dropbox.
u just drop it in there, and as long as both of you share the dropbox, the other will see it

I just found out about drop box two days agos and I am planning on using it at work. I'll give it a try for the collaboration also.

1. Do the original track(s).
  2. Mix down and transcode to mp3, saving your raw track files (the big ones) for later mixdown.
  3. Send the small mp3 file to collaborator.
  4. He/she imports it into Audacity, lays down the track(s) they're adding, and then does the same process (mix, make mp3 - saving the raw file for later -- and then ships you back the new mp3.
  5. Repeat until all tracks are laid down.

Mr Hobbit,

So when they send back the MP3 they mute the tracks I sent them for the mix down to MP3 and just send back their part (in the MP3) which I import into the Audacity file with the originals? Am I on the right track? (no pun intended)

So when they send back the MP3 they mute the tracks I sent them for the mix down to MP3 and just send back their part (in the MP3) which I import into the Audacity file with the originals? Am I on the right track? (no pun intended)

Close. The mp3 mixes are only for the next player to play along with. You still have to send big tracks around, but only one way... to the person who's doing the final mix.

Everybody sends their "raw" (i.e. large .wav or .aiff or whatever) file that only contains their part to the mixer person.

Thanks for all the input. I tried Mediafire, which works great for a couple of files but fell short for the 136MB/141 file count audacity file I was testing with. The I tried Dropbox https://www.getdropbox.com/

That is the ticket. It acts like a local drive that you drop files into and they are syncronized with the folks you are sharing with, both ways. It was even faster on the upload and download of the big files. Small files 3 meg and such are almost instantaneously shared (I had my buddy on the phone while we tested it). Easy to use. The only caution is that since it acts like a local directory, if you drag something there it moves it (unlike a network drive). So if you drag a photo and the person you are sharing with drags it to their C drive it is gone. You have to copy it to your drop box. Free up to 2GB

Top Bottom