How important is good hearing in being a good luthier?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was wondering how important good hearing is to being a good luthier?

This thought came when a uke sent back to a good luthier with a fret buzz came back with the same fret buzz, just a little softer. How can this be? The only thing I could come up with was that the luthier must have some hearing loss. While hearing seems critical on some steps, such as set-up and fine adjustments for sound, I also know Kamaka employes deaf persons in making their ukes. At Kamaka feeling vibrations was considered more important than hearing in the noisey shop.

So, how important is hearing and listening in your building process?

( BTW The buzz was eventually eliminated with a taller saddle. The action was really low. )

Last edited:
I was wondering how important good hearing is to being a good luthier?

This thought came when a uke sent back to a good luthier with a fret buzz came back with the same fret buzz, just a little softer. How can this be? The only thing I could come up with was that the luthier must have some hearing loss. While hearing seems critical on some steps, such as set-up and fine adjustments for sound, I also know Kamaka employes deaf persons in making their ukes. At Kamaka feeling vibrations was considered more important than hearing in the noisey shop.

So, how important is hearing and listening in your building process?

Hey Doc...I think the Kamaka employees used the vibration of the ukes top and back to get the voicing right...they might have a problem doing setup work...

does the uke have any kind of neck relief built into it...if I has a carbon fiber rod in the neck, it needs some relief

It could also be the way they pick or strum it. Unfortunately, I press down more than across so my ukes have a higher chance to buzz...gotta improve my technique.

Buzzing in the fret path is a set up issue. Set up is a highly personal thing, what some people find perfectly playable others will find either noisy, or too stiff for mortal man. For this reason when I do set up I insist on the player being on hand in the shop as it is their set up not mine that is sought.

I'd say good hearing isn't that important for this. I can feel a fret buzz as much as hear it. (and I feel it a lot on my ukes)
Maybe your luthier has a light touch and felt it was good enough when he sent it back....everything will buzz at some point.

Well, I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other, but I think the few ukes I've built sound okay. 'Course the dog howls whenever I try to play or sing, but what does he know?

cinco18.jpg

Top Bottom