Android apps for ukulele?

TG&Y

Reaction score
Since Olde Phart's olde thread has resurfaced just as I was thinking of asking about android...

I recently was given a Samsung smartphone - which brings me kicking and screaming into the bold new world from land-line. Looking for recommended ukulele-related apps. I've found a tuner that I like called 'gStrings' (smirk) and a couple of other chord related apps that I haven't spent much time with. The Holy Grail I'm seeking is some sort of chord recognition app that will decipher a song into chords - via the phone's microphone, I suppose. I think I recall discussion about a cool iPhone app but...android here.

Can someone here point me in the right direction and/or suggest apps that you find helpful?

Still have and love my land-line. Sayin'

Not an android app, but Chordie.com has a zillion songs, and you can convert them into Ukulele tab and and convert the keys to what ever you like.

Since Olde Phart's olde thread has resurfaced just as I was thinking of asking about android...

I recently was given a Samsung smartphone - which brings me kicking and screaming into the bold new world from land-line. Looking for recommended ukulele-related apps. I've found a tuner that I like called 'gStrings' (smirk) and a couple of other chord related apps that I haven't spent much time with. The Holy Grail I'm seeking is some sort of chord recognition app that will decipher a song into chords - via the phone's microphone, I suppose. I think I recall discussion about a cool iPhone app but...android here.

Can someone here point me in the right direction and/or suggest apps that you find helpful?

Still have and love my land-line. Sayin'

Check out Riffstation, it's an on-computer app but I downloaded the 30-day trial so I could finally pull the chords for "Waltz About Whiskey" by Mandolin Orange. It worked REALLY well.

http://www.riffstation.com/

http://ukemafia.com/what-im-playing-january-2014/

GuitarTapp is the best for songsheets. Link is to the Pro version but there's a free trial as well.

There's this app for chord recognition. I tried it but was unimpressed.

DaTuner is the one that gets the most use, though, when I don't have a clipon tuner handy.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm a fan of Chordie too, gitarzan, and usually go first to Richard G's site to look for a song (although I've already grabbed purt near all the songs that interest me from there - and it's a lot!) then it's Chordie and then Ultimate guitar and a few other sites I have squirreled away. A lot of times it's the opening riffs and such, and in the case of vintage music, the little prelude that they sometimes included eg. Helen Kane's 'Button Up Your Overcoat' - which is rarely included in chord sheets.

I have, and would recommend cautiously, something called 'Sonic Visualizer' which is a free computer program that certainly grabs the chords (and much, much more than I can even understand) but it's a bear to install and doesn't export the results in a way that is user-friendly. Or at least I haven't discovered a way. I think I posted a link to step-by-step instructions for install here a long time ago if anyone's interested.

I tried that app at your suggestion KoaDependent, and it didn't really ring my bell either. I'll check out GuitarTapp and DaTuner, although I'm liking gStrings as a tuner.

And RiffStation too, Sporin (fellow laminate-lover if I remember right). I'll try it and see how much a purchase is. It sure is amazing what's available out there. Which is good since my ear stinks.

Thanks again, and my stinking ears are still on for additional suggestions...

Although this is browser based, you can try chordify.net. You just need to paste the Youtube or Soundcloud URL and it will produce the chords for you. Of course we need to use some human intelligence to rearrange them properly after that.

Hi I use Anysong Chord Recognition for Android phones. It translates songs (from either music from your phone or youtube link) into chords, though it maybe specifically for guitar, I just use it to get the chords and correct tuning (cause it lets you go up or down half or full steps) and then use my charts or uke chord apps.

Chordinator allows you to display your songs with chords above and will scroll the song as you play. There is a free version and a paid for one. It's probably worth paying to upgrade the free version but I haven't done so yet.

Hi I use Anysong Chord Recognition for Android phones. It translates songs (from either music from your phone or youtube link) into chords, though it maybe specifically for guitar, I just use it to get the chords and correct tuning (cause it lets you go up or down half or full steps) and then use my charts or uke chord apps.

For reference, this is the app I linked to above. Should have put the app name in my post. I'm glad that you like it but, like chordify.net, I can only ever seem to get it to return broad approximations of the correct chord/timing.

Also, Tootler, have you looked at GuitarTapp? It seems to do everything the Chordinator does and more (and with a slicker interface).

Have you used the 'iRealPro' app? I had used it on iOS but they recently released it for Android. It's great for playing along to songs, and I plug it into my amp and jam pretty regularly, which is a lot of fun.

Top Bottom