PDA

View Full Version : No water-stones here...

Pete Howlett
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I promised this video aeons ago. Sorry - here it is at last.

http://youtu.be/qoqjf-dehxs

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
I've never used a plane before but that looks like a clever approach to sharpening. Nice videos Pete. ;)

Gyozu
01-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Sandpaper on glass is alwyas a great simple way to sharpen and level items. I am saving up for some dimond stones, but until then it will be glass plate.

Is that your angle setting jig or the right side?

jcalkin
01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
For years I've used quarter sheets of 800 and 1200 mounted on the same piece of Plexiglas. The next step is white lacquer buffing compound rubbed into a piece of shoe sole leather glued to a wooden plank. I can never get my plane iron to shave hair off my wrist, but my chisels end up that sharp. I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but its a fun demo when folks tour the H&D shop. But the first step is to hollow grind the blade on the end of a belt sander mounted with 120 grit. I'm sure that fine stones take sharpening to a whole other level, but its just not necessary for the work I do.

Pete Howlett
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
I heavily edit all my videos so miss out discussion about primary and secondary bevel sharpening, the use of diamond stones and other stuff you can easily find on YouTube. However I would consider this myth busting clip essential viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbAo4RpM7oM

Michael N.
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes but you have to take what he says in context. He's planing some pretty 'easy' wood and he's trying to encourage beginners who might be a bit overwhelmed by all the so called necessary 'kit'. If he was doing highly figured Maple or wood with runout then the extra fine grit is necessary. His video on sharpening Chisel and Plane blades shows him going up to 1200G (diamond) and then stropping like crazy on leather charged with polishing paste.
I've tried the majority of sharpening media - paper, Oil/Arkansas, Slate, Diamond and Waterstones. They all work. Paper is OK but tends to be more expensive in the long term. May not seem so but I think someone calculated the costs over the course of a 10 year period. My 8,000G King waterstone has seen the most use and is still going strong after 12 years of pro use. It's probably got another 6 or so years use left. I recently bought a pretty cheap combination ( 350/600G) diamond stone for 18. It has worked well but I'll have to wait a couple of years to see how a cheap diamond stone fairs over the long term. It's a touch less 'messy' than a waterstone and should stay relatively flat.

agilitydog
01-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Pete, I left you PM. Check mail.

Charlie

Timbuck
01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
A lot of years ago :old:....I had to attend a Grinding wheel course to obtain a certificate so I could fit, balance, and change, grinding wheels in the Tool room where i was working like you have to in the UK by law...The Guy who ran the course started off with a story about two Roman soldiers who had just been supplied with new fangled swords made from iron and they had to dispense with the old standard Roman issue of bronze ones ..The first job they were given was to clean and sharpen them...Roman # 1 had in his pocket a piece of brown stone that he had found in a stream..and it was great for stroking up and down the blade to sharpen it and he used it all the time..Until one day Roman Guy # 2 turned up with another piece of green stone that he found on the sea shore and this stone was way better than # 1 's stone....soon the whole army was using this new wonder stone....and so the story went on and on until we ended up using "Diamond impregnated" lapping wheels....It's the "never ending story" ;) who know's what will come out next ?.

Michael N.
01-16-2014, 04:13 AM
No idea but I like the sound of that Green stone. Who sells them?

ksquine
01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Glass plates are nice cause you don't need to flatten them like stones

Timbuck
01-16-2014, 08:29 PM
During WW2 and a few years after razor blades were in short supply in the UK...Then as a 5 year old I can still remember my Dad sharpening old blades on the large mirror on the wall, using "Brasso" metal polish as an abrasive.