New Orca strings from MGM.

ive always wondered about the Flourocarbonstrings, anyone have a review on any of them?

Oooh. I'm sort of interested to see if they are really that good. But I like the stat that it is the best selling strings in Japan, so they must be pretty good. I'd love to hear a review or a sound clip.

I love flourocarbon strings. My favorite set is from KoAloha, but I don't think they sell it. Similar to worths, but different enough so that I could feel it.

Michael just sent me a set today. I'm planning to make a D'addario ProArté J71 vs ORCAS black fluorocarbon strings comparison video.

I noticed he sells a low G set for sopranos/concerts, but not for tenors. If I'm diggin the tenor set, I just might throw more money at MGM. LOL

Mine just arrived today! The weird thing is that as of Monday, all the soprano/concert Orcas on MGM's store were LOW g. I didn't look at the tenors.

I bought the hard set soprano low g and haven't strung 'em up yet. Hard string soprano with low g? :wtf: But I bought 'em for a very special "double-secret-probation" ukulele project that I'm not at liberty to divulge at this juncture. But the next phase of my operation should hopefully arrive tomorrow and I'll have more info. As of right now I'd say that Orcas are kinda thin, and black. The packaging is very clearly labeled as to which string is which. So you won't be needing calipers as a necessary tool. That's all I got.

Michael just sent me a set today. I'm planning to make a D'addario ProArté J71 vs ORCAS black fluorocarbon strings comparison video.

Count me in as one of the people eagerly awaiting your video comparison. I have some J71s on my ukulele right now, and I'm curious about these ORCAS.

I ordered a couple of sets of the tenor strings out of curiosity. Not sure what I'll put it on yet, but maybe the William King tenor, which currently has Worth BTs.

The question I have to ask is how they might stack up against the Fremont black line flourocarbons since they are in a basic sense the same thing. Is there enough of a difference to recommend the extra couple of bucks.

I just swapped out some Worth clear med. for Fremont black line hard on a soprano. The results were very similar except the Worths were a bit brighter sounding while the Fremont's are a bit, let's say, rounded. I'm still kind of undecided about whether it suit that particular instrument or not yet.

they're fluorocarbon? i wonder if i don't like them, i can use them for a surf leader for halibut? anybody got a weight rating?

You know, I was thinking something similar... except the other way around.

I'm tempted to buy 50, 40, 30, and 25 lb Seaguar FC (Blue Label) leaders to try on a cheap soprano (just in case the bridge flies off). If it works out with those new 5 yards packs, I could easily purchase a lifetime's worth of ukulele strings with 100 yards of each since fluorocarbons last for years... maybe only 50 yards for the those that don't fit a tenor AND soprano/concert application and 25 for tenor low G depending on UAS severity.

80 - tenor low G
60 - tenor C
50 - tenor E, soprano/concert C
40 - tenor g, soprano/concert E
30 - tenor A, soprano/concert g
25 - soprano/concert A

Then again, I haven't checked if there were any cost savings in doing so. :rofl:

Last edited:
So the secret is finally out. Crap. Seaguar---yep the same guys who make fishing line. 100$ gets you all 4 strings in 200 yard spools. If I liked the flurocarbon sound I'd be buying it in bulk too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Crap! In the middle of posting I burned my hot wings! Orkas.....Burned wings, how do you unburn grilled wings?

Top Bottom