What do you do about your calluses?

Booli

Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice on how to deal with the calluses on the fingertips of your fretting hand.

The problems is not having them in the first place, but that when they build up a certain point, the skin gets hard and splits and peels and it all goes down hill from there.

I've tried to use moisturizing cream, but that does not really help.

I read online somewhere about folks putting clear nail polish over the affected area, but I wonder if that wont cause further skin problems and also harm the strings and/or the fretboard.

Another site had evil tales of folks using the NuSkin liquid band-aid or even CA/superglue to cover the area, but that seems like a bad idea as well.

I don't want to be using inorganic painted-on 'poisons' to bolster the skin, and there has to be a better way to deal with this issue, and I would think with the millions of hours of collective strumming done by UU members, that I am not alone in wanting a solution for this problem.

What do you all do to prevent your fingertips from becoming like dried-out calf-skin?

Please tell me.

-Booli

You are smart to be wary of applying glues and other strange mixtures to your fingertips, especially in places where the skin may be broken. Don't do it.

Here's what you can do: Track down a good quality glass nail file (I bought my set from Amazon), and use that to gently file off dead flaking bits. Soak your fingertips in baby oil or olive oil for a few minutes each day, then wash that off and apply extra-strength hand lotion. I like Eucerin; many here on the Forum recommend Aveeno. Use the hand lotion several times daily (be sure to wash it off before playing your uke, to avoid getting any on your strings and fretboard). You may also need to limit your playing to shorter sessions, especially during winter weather when skin dries out quickly. Always moisturize your hands before you go to bed.

I expect most of us here have experienced this problem--I certainly have, usually when I have gotten careless about moisturizing my hands.

Hope this helps! :music:

Last edited:
I saw this at NAMM several years ago, and I think it should help.
http://rock-tips.com/
I just got several more bottles to have on hand, for my husband, who has had some finger/ nerve pain. I offer it to some of my beginning students as well. You can apply layers, and they seem to last several days.
Moisturize your fingertips, especially before bed. Wear gloves if you are doing work that will dry out your hands, and avoid too much water exposure. I've got some really good callouses, but almost lost them after swimming one day. I applied sunscreen, and that seemed to save them on that occasion. Always have some hand lotion handy so you can apply if they start to look too dry.

–Lori

Last edited:
Personally I just let the calluses build up and peel off. After few rounds, the skins become "sort of" permanently thickened and you won't even realize they are there anymore. You can then just enjoy playing the ukulele without realizing anything different on your finger tips. ;)

On the rare occasions my calluses get a little too raggedy, I file them with the coarse side of a diamond nail file till smooth. Trying to peel them off "might" cause a skin tear and end up damaging a fingertip.

I have a suspicion that you are just overdoing it in the first place before your fingers have naturally hardened and then haven't let the fingers heal before doing it some more. Your just going to have to let them harden naturally before you over do it and watch for the warning signs that you are overdoing it again.

I find virgin coconut oil to be the best oil for the skin and it helps them heal.

Anthony

What do you do about your calluses?

Teach them to play.

PS: Make sure you aren't pressing too hard on the strings. I don't know how long you have been playing, but it's a common problem with many players, mostly new ones, but a lot of us "forget", especially when playing in a group, and press way harder than is necessary to cleanly fret the string. I know I catch myself from time to time, especially when my finger tip starts to hurt a little. I just have to ease back up a bit.

Have you tried Udder Balm as a moisturizer (yeh, the stuff they use on cows)? It is basically all lanolin and can be found in the veternerian section of your favorite shop. It really helps the cracking .

If I get a "rough" spot I very lightly smooth it out with an emery board. Much, much lighter than you'd do a nail and then put on lotion.

Personally I just let the calluses build up and peel off. After few rounds, the skins become "sort of" permanently thickened and you won't even realize they are there anymore. You can then just enjoy playing the ukulele without realizing anything different on your finger tips. ;)

This is kind of what I am hoping for.

You see it's been some years since I had good calluses (not playing does that) and in the in-between time I got frostbite on the backs of my hands real bad one winter when I was forced to be outside in 5 degrees with no gloves on for about an hour or so.

Since then, and only in the winter when it is very dry, the skin on the backs of my hands and fingers gets dry, and cracks and peels and sometimes even bleeds. This has been a persistent problem for the past 7 or 8 yrs now, and it is only since 9 months ago that I am playing a fretted instrument every day. I did not have this problem in the warmer/more humid months

I have tried literally every over the counter skin and hand cream, over 30 different products, and what helps is either Burts Bees or Tiger Balm, and then putting latex gloves on top to force it to soak in to the skin, but this is a problem because I work at the computer all day and really can not type with slime-filled rubber gloves on all day.

I went to a dermatologist for the original frostbite problem and they wanted me to start taking steroid/cortisone injections which I will NOT do.

The Eucerin cream is helpful but the one I have has Alpha Hydroxy in it, and g-d forbid you touch your face (eyes, lips) with that on your fingers, it's like smearing pure lye on yourself it burns so bad.

On the rare occasions my calluses get a little too raggedy, I file them with the coarse side of a diamond nail file till smooth. Trying to peel them off "might" cause a skin tear and end up damaging a fingertip.

Hi Phil,

Yes, I too have used a glass nail file to gently smooth off the rough edges, and I am willing to admit that I am guilty of tearing a fingertip right off OUCH. Hurts like h-e-double-hockey-sticks and you cant play at all until it heals back. I'm NOT doing that again.

I have a suspicion that you are just overdoing it in the first place before your fingers have naturally hardened and then haven't let the fingers heal before doing it some more. Your just going to have to let them harden naturally before you over do it and watch for the warning signs that you are overdoing it again.

I find virgin coconut oil to be the best oil for the skin and it helps them heal.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestion for virgin coconut oil. I'll have to try and get some.

The overdoing it idea may be related to the dryness sensitivity due to the frostbite problem I mentioned above. I guess I have to try and find the right balance until the leather fingertips are created.

-Booli

PS: Make sure you aren't pressing too hard on the strings. I don't know how long you have been playing, but it's a common problem with many players, mostly new ones, but a lot of us "forget", especially when playing in a group, and press way harder than is necessary to cleanly fret the string. I know I catch myself from time to time, especially when my finger tip starts to hurt a little. I just have to ease back up a bit.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take that under advisement.

-Booli

Have you tried Udder Balm as a moisturizer (yeh, the stuff they use on cows)? It is basically all lanolin and can be found in the veternerian section of your favorite shop. It really helps the cracking .

Hi Van,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will have to try the farm-focused pet store near me and see if they have that. So far the best results overall are with the Tiger Balm, which is like a greasy wax texture and takes a long time to fully rub in until it is absorbed.

-Booli

If I get a "rough" spot I very lightly smooth it out with an emery board. Much, much lighter than you'd do a nail and then put on lotion.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have taken to using a glass nail file (which I have begun using to shape the nails on my right hand) an gently used it to take off the rough edges, and then I rub in some Tiger Balm.

So far this is the easiest, albeit not the most effective, nor permanent, and I can not play after since my hands are all greasy.

-Booli

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have taken to using a glass nail file (which I have begun using to shape the nails on my right hand) an gently used it to take off the rough edges, and then I rub in some Tiger Balm.

So far this is the easiest, albeit not the most effective, nor permanent, and I can not play after since my hands are all greasy.

-Booli

I just put the cream on my hands before bed. Love "Udder Balm" but I'm out so now using Curel. They all seem to work.

I bite mine off.

Dermasil original formula lotion has Dimethicone . It dries on the skin fairly quickly and seems to condition the the skin well without being greasy. It keeps the callouses from drying out but doesn't soften them to the extent that you lose them. It is a buck at the dollar store.

I like the Gold Bond Diabetic lotions but they tend to soften the callous too much, so I just use it once a week in the winter.

Top Bottom