making videos for the seasoniastas

Rustyy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Forgive me if this topic is covered elsewhere.
I recently did a song for the seasonistas, and would have liked to add some response vocals to it.
The problem is that I have no idea how to go about it with the setup that I have.
My main video is made using the ipad, and I just record the video and vocals at the same time, then edit the titles, and the start and finish in Windows Live Movie Maker.
So I have an ipad, a smartphone (which I can use for videos) and a PC. I also have a laptop, but prefer not to use this if possible.
I have loaded garageband onto the ipad, but the available tutorials that I can find are either garageband for the Mac, or are not specific enough for me for what I want to do.
I have heard of audacity for the PC, but don't know if it would help me.
Is anybody able to give me a few pointers to get me started?

I don't think how to multitrack has come up yet. Now I am an IT guy but I try to not use Windows whenever I can.

So I am not up to speed in the possibilites that are and are not in Movie Maker. I do however now that you can multitrack audio in Garageband on the iPad.
So a thing you might try is:
1.) use the smartphone to record a video (and the audio because you will need that) and
2.) use you iPad to record one track in Garageband at the same time.
Be aware that the standard setting is to only record for a short while, you can change that at some completely non logical spot.
3.) You could then record an extra track in Garageband on the iPad and export the result as an audio file to you PC.
4.) You should then have the possibility to add the extra audio file to you Windows Movie maker project (I'm not sure if this can be done).

a tip to align the two audio track is to start with a handclap as it is a short and recognisable audio signal.

You could then later on use MPEG Streamclip to shorten your video to not include that (it is available for Mac and Windows)

I hope that give you an idea of how this could work.

for what it is worth this is close to the setup I'm currently using, I record the audio on my Mac in Garageband and the video with a dedicated camera, and then later combine that via Garageband on my Mac. And lately I've then been editing the result with iMovie just for fun.

The combining of video and audio is the part that the iPad version of Garageband unfortunately does not do. Maybe iMovie on the iPad could do that part? But that raises the question could you upload a video from you Phone to the iPad?

Last edited:
thanks for the response wim. it is hard to find time to do all that is needed around the house, make vids, learn new software, new songs new weeks, and i haven't even had time to look at paul's yearly stuff. But I will give this a go next chance I get

thanks for the response wim. it is hard to find time to do all that is needed around the house, make vids, learn new software, new songs new weeks, and i haven't even had time to look at paul's yearly stuff. But I will give this a go next chance I get

I think theres two camps on this one, one where people have a genuine interest and get enjoyment out of making vids and getting into software etc and two where people find it a chore.........I'm very much the latter.

Imo When something becomes a chore it ceases to be fun !!

Last edited:
Multi tracking for beginners is an incredible time sink. I know that much about it.
What is maybe easier is to find a way to extract the audio form your video, load that into garageband, and from there you can add audio tracks, then replace the original audio with the sweetened one.
Running simultaneous video and audio on multiple takes is something I reserve for when I am not working and my family is out of town, because I haven't figured out a proper workflow yet.
keep trying though, it is magic when it works.
While it's cool to see the different parts being laid down, it's the audio that counts

Rustyy ~ Hi, I've now done 6 multi-track videos (one for the Seasonista week 100) using my iPad with GarageBand and iMovie. Although I am new to doing these kinds of videos, I'd be happy to help you with respect to what I've learned so far. Please PM me if you're interested. I was actually in the field of technology (project management, technical writing, and training) for 10 years, and helping folks with this kind of stuff is right up my alley. I've been thinking about writing a basic little manual, or a web-based training program, to help people use iPads with GarageBand and iMovie to help them make, specifically, music videos. When I was researching this, I could find very little online with respect to info on how to make music videos with an iPad (using GarageBand and iMovie). Again, very happy to help, if you're interested. :) Cheers, ~ Chelle

I use Windows and Nero Video. I record video and audio, usually using a better microphone than is in the PC (like a USB mic). I use that video for a Nero Video project, which give you the option of splitting the audio and video and (not necessarily connected) exporting the audio separately to a .wav file.

I then import that .wav to any standard recording software (Audacity is free, and I also use ProTools Essentials sometimes) and add tracks. Once done, I export the finished recording to a .wav file, import in Nero Video and Bob's your uncle. Sometimes I have to move the imported sound or video a bit for synch, and the synch is not perfect, but it's typically produced decent results.

Another option is to record backing tracks, play them somewhere and input them to my audio interface while I play/sing along with them. I have to wear some type of headphones to play in synch, but it works pretty well.

Rustyy ~ Hi, I've now done 6 multi-track videos (one for the Seasonista week 100) using my iPad with GarageBand and iMovie. Although I am new to doing these kinds of videos, I'd be happy to help you with respect to what I've learned so far. Please PM me if you're interested. I was actually in the field of technology (project management, technical writing, and training) for 10 years, and helping folks with this kind of stuff is right up my alley. I've been thinking about writing a basic little manual, or a web-based training program, to help people use iPads with GarageBand and iMovie to help them make, specifically, music videos. When I was researching this, I could find very little online with respect to info on how to make music videos with an iPad (using GarageBand and iMovie). Again, very happy to help, if you're interested. :) Cheers, ~ Chelle

I think a tutorial would be much appreciated by lots of folks, me included!

Chelle,
that would be most useful.
h

Thanks so much to the folks who've asked about a little tutorial using GarageBand and iMovie on the iPad to make uke music videos. I just wanted to let folks know that I am going to try to put something together to share what I've learned so far. Of course it goes without saying that I am still learning myself. :) I am hopeful, though, that what I've learned so far might help others who are interested in using the tools I've mentioned to, at least, get started with doing multi-tracking uke music videos. I'll post back here once I've completed the tutorial. Thanks, again, for asking about this. Happy strummings!

I am very basic with my video editing skills Rusty and I do most of it on my Mac desktop.
When I want to add extra tracks I video using iMovie and record on garage band at the same time.
I then add any extra tracks using the garageband track - using new tracks for each vocal or instrument and using headphones so the other tracks don't bleed into each other.
I then send the final track to itunes (from garageband).
From itunes it can just be dragged under the video in iMovie. It is important that it appears as a 'line' UNDER the video.
I then just drag it forward or back until the syn is OK. For this to be done easily it is important that your vid is longer than the iTunes track.
I then usually turn the original video sound all the way down and the music track under neath up to about 150%. This is done by clicking on the tiny icons in the first video thumbnail pic.

When I import to iTunes I choose to do it as mp3 files rather that aap or whatever the mac files are called.

As I said a very basic approach and no doubt there are easier ways to achieve the same result but that's what I do on the rare occasions I do any multi track audio vids.

I'm sorry to say I forgot a bit about this question, and I see that many people have very kindly replied with advice.
As myth informed said, there are probably two camps about whether you enjoy the music or the music and the video editing.
As you will see by any of my recent videos my process hasn't changed, and that's mainly due to a lack of time. I hope one day to have more time to put into this, (but maybe singing lessons would help more)
I will take all your help on board and see if I can find a way to improve my production. Thank you all for your replies and interesting comments.

And Chelle, if you ever get that instruction manual up and going I am sure that there would be many people benefit from it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom