can you re-use strings?

seanmorr

Reaction score
Hi all,
thinking about trying to string my own uke for the first time.
My question is can I keep the old strings and re-use them, or are they done once they come off?
thanks

It all depends on how long they were on.
If you are replacing them because they are dead, then most likely you won't want to reuse them.
I usually keep a new set in the case for spares in case I break a string. This is also the set I will use when changing strings.
If you don't have an extra set of new strings for spares, I suggest keep the ones you take off in the case for emergency use.

I keep them also. I put them in a baggie along with a card saying what they are.

Yes. I have been experimenting with different strings and so takin them off with plenty of life left. Just be sure to mark each so you know what it is for later re-use.

I was a bit nervous but found out stringing is pretty easy. Lots of great videos available.

It funny, I was thinking this exact question recently.

I have just purchased a Kolahola which has Fremont strings on.
These are really good, but I really want to try living water strings on it.
However, if I'm not happy, I would want to put the Fremonts back on...

Now I know!
Thanks.

Buy extra strings and keep them around always. Throw the old ones away!

It is like a reed player keeping old reeds that have lost their life...let go...

Last edited:
It funny, I was thinking this exact question recently.

I have just purchased a Kolahola which has Fremont strings on.
These are really good, but I really want to try living water strings on it.
However, if I'm not happy, I would want to put the Fremonts back on...

Now I know!
Thanks.

My KoAloha is really picky about strings. She does best with Worth CL.

If the strings on your uke were trimmed after they were installed, which is very common, they will be shorter than a new set of strings. Putting them back on with no extra string length to work with could be more difficult than installing a new set, especially if you are new to stringing. Some people don't trim their strings at the headstock, which would avoid this issue.

Cindy

You can swap strings around, back and forth, no problem. I do it with a new uke to find out which I like best. Put each one in it's own baggie though. A "G" looks like an "A" sitting on a table.

Take note that strings do have a lifespan. If you run your fingernail under the strings and there are grooves where the frets are then don't use them. If they have a couple months worth of playing they may not be as lively as a new set.

WARNING: This activity can lead to USAS (ukulele string acquisition syndrome). You will find yourself buying $30 worth of strings to get the free shipping for orders over $50 at Elderly

You can swap strings around, back and forth, no problem. I do it with a new uke to find out which I like best. Put each one in it's own baggie though. A "G" looks like an "A" sitting on a table.
I reuse them if they look ok. I like to try lots of different strings until I find the best fit for a particular uke. I have found in some sets, the 1st and 4th are exactly the same string.

I always carry a new set in my case,BUT....I also carry strings I have
removed.I never play strings until they are 'dead' so they are still in
effect 'usable'. I do this so that in the event of a break at a gig or
whatever,I can slap on an 'oldie' with a good chance of it holding its
tuning quickly,to finish the gig in comfort! Of course,I also always take
more than one uke with me,just in case!

I have done that, although I don't make a practice of it....I turned them around though, to get the fret marks away from the frets...

My KoAloha is really picky about strings. She does best with Worth CL.

I tried out the Living Water strings today...
Now I LOVE these strings on all of my other Ukes, can't recommend them enough!

But I really didn't like them on the KoAloha.
...swapped them back within the hour!

And. I can now say without hesitation, that YOU CAN RE-USE STRINGS!!!

Top Bottom