Homade pick- up attachment question

strumsilly

Reaction score
A friend made me one of those home made [Radio Shack parts] Pietzo pickups. I have an inexpensive but nice sounding baritone I want to put it in. I don't thinlk the RS cheapo phono jack is long enough to go through the tail block. I'm not opposed to putting it elsewhere, but I'd like to have a strap button anyway. I'd rather not have to resoulder it too.
I was thinking of just putting a regular strap button on , and mounting the jack down the side from it. I had a Kala whose jack was there. I know the wood is thin there, but this is a laminate, so it probably is not as likely to crack.

also, advise on how to best attach , and place the pu . some sort of sticky , thin double sided tape? hot glue?
advise?
pietzo.jpg

A friend made me one of those home made [Radio Shack parts] Pietzo pickups. I have an inexpensive but nice sounding baritone I want to put it in. I don't thinlk the RS cheapo phono jack is long enough to go through the tail block. I'm not opposed to putting it elsewhere, but I'd like to have a strap button anyway. I'd rather not have to resoulder it too.
I was thinking of just putting a regular strap button on , and mounting the jack down the side from it. I had a Kala whose jack was there. I know the wood is thin there, but this is a laminate, so it probably is not as likely to crack.

also, advise on how to best attach , and place the pu . some sort of sticky , thin double sided tape? hot glue?
advise?
View attachment 63002

Hot glue will work but you want only a dab and then press the pickup firmly against the inside of the top (or on the bridge plate, whichever you choose). If you get too much glue between the pickup and the uke it may affect performance.

I use a small dab of gel super glue to attach under-soundboard transducers. I wear a nitrile glove when placing the pickup which has saved my hand from becoming a permanent part of at least one uke.

On smaller ukes where I don't want a strap button I have used a regular jack and mounted it on the flattest part of the inside curve of the hourglass shape at the bottom of the uke. However, if you rest this part on your leg that may not work well for you. In any case, I like to make felt or thin leather washers to go on each side of the wood, under the metal washers. This lets you snug the mounting nut up pretty well without worrying about cracking the uke (I've done a few solid wood ukes with no issues). Don't overtighten, but get it snug and then put a dab of clear fingernail polish on the threads of the jack and let it run down into the nut. This will keep the nut from loosening up and rattling.

John

A couple of years ago, I built a cigar box guitar with a piezo pick-up. Before you install this thing, I'd recommend that you ask your friend to wire up a second piezo. A dual piezo system will give you better pick up and they only take a couple seconds longer to install. If you go over to Cigar Box Nation you can probably find the diagrams and technical information.

Top Bottom