PDA

View Full Version : Voyage-Air Guitar

dhoenisch
01-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Hey All, I know there are guitar forums where I can ask this question, but the couple I've been to are more male privates comparison contests than actual guitar talk (I tried to make that statement mild :D) so I thought I'd ask it here since folks on this forum are much nicer and talk more about their stringed instruments instead of their organs.

Anyhow, I got myself into a volunteer opportunity where I've donated three guitars to a home for foster children, and I was inspired to teach them how to play them. AND, at my new church, I have volunteered to help play music for Sundays, which will probably be more guitar than anything else I play. Right now, that's not a problem, but come this Spring and Summer, like I do every year, I put the car away and ride my motorcycle exclusively.

So, since riding with a full-sized dreadnaught guitar (I'm a bluegrass and folk musician, so that size fits my style) is very cumbersome and I'd be doing this twice a week, the Voyage-Air guitar appeals to me. Of course, I could go with their grand concert model for this situation which should make the guitar a little smaller.

Anyhow, can I get some opinions on this guitar? I know it's a bit of a long-shot since this is a ukulele forum, but I know some of you have a uke for portability, so maybe some of you have one of these guitars for the same reason?

Anyhow, thanks for any and all comments on this,
Dan

wdf
01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
I have two Voyage-Air’s, both VAOM-02 models (solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back & sides). One is new, this Christmas, and one is about 5 years old. They both sound like high quality guitars - not quite up to my Martin OM but they are one-fifth the price and are quite portable.

I like the case on the older on better. The laptop case part zips off, not so on the new one. Also the old case is a bit more rigid - better protection IMHO.

I have a K&K mini in the older one and like it. They have a “captive nut” so the strings stay in place in the peg head when folded - very nice. I use light gauge strings with a medium (.013) for the high string. It works better for me as I keep them tuned down to open G.

By the way, they fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane. At least my old one does. I haven't flown with the new one.

Hope this helps.

Dusty

chikon2000
01-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I wonder if they would consider building ukes. Just imagine how portable they would be!