Mahalo Violele (?!)

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the violele. From what little I can tell, it's a ukulele designed like a violin.

Catalog page

Another page

I think I want one. Is that wrong? :p

JJ

That thing is AWESOME!!

I think its cool people expect one thing and they will get something completly different.

i dont understand... strumming with the floating Violin bridge will be really goofy, and since they seem to be nylon strings, and no bow... confuzzled...

It's just a uke that LOOKS like a violin. The strings will be almost flat, not convex like a violin, as will be the bridge. A floating bridge is no problem - most mandolins and archtop guitars have them. And yeah, I want one too.....

The front seems to be shaped like a violin - not flat, like a uke. I would doubt that low tension synthetic strings will be able to make the soundboard vibrate much. Violins are built much more rigidly that ukes, and use metal strings operating at very high tension. Not like a uke at all.

I'm probably completely wrong, but I'd have to try one before getting excited about them. (They do look cool, though).

Ukantor.

Ooh, I want one too. It says it has a solid mahogany body. If that's the case, it could be a little more than just a novelty item.

The front seems to be shaped like a violin - not flat, like a uke. I would doubt that low tension synthetic strings will be able to make the soundboard vibrate much. Violins are built much more rigidly that ukes, and use metal strings operating at very high tension. Not like a uke at all.

I'm probably completely wrong, but I'd have to try one before getting excited about them. (They do look cool, though).

Ukantor.

Archtop ukes are not new - Kala makes one. In the case of guitars, archtops do have different tonal characteristics - louder, with shorter sustain and less harmonic overtones to generalise - but they work.

im just saying that the bridge could be a problem, if you do a zoom in of the catalogue page at the bottom left you can see the brige, it seems to be about an 1" or so off the soundboard itself... and yes classical guitars and Mando's have floating bridges but those have feet so they will not go anywhere, i havent seen one that has a bridge something like this

violin%20bridge.jpg

Idk i guess call me a hater...

It's just a uke that LOOKS like a violin. The strings will be almost flat, not convex like a violin, as will be the bridge. A floating bridge is no problem - most mandolins and archtop guitars have them. And yeah, I want one too.....

unfortunately this is true, just looking at the pic you can tell its just a novelty uke, kinda like the tele-lele/strata-lele.

i wouldnt mind having a violin tuned to a uke.

Top Bottom