Tacoma Papoose & Guilele supply & demand

mvinsel

Reaction score
(rather than further hijack the GuileleWTB thread, I'll start this one)

I too just obtained a used 1997 Tacoma acoustc Papoose and enjoy it very much. The paper that came with it suggests A to A tuning for the original strings of .012" - .052", and to use .013" - .056" for E to E or G to G tuning. Some discussions I found on Acoustic Guitar and Tacoma Guitar forums suggested using lighter strings than the specs, noting the top is only lightly braced. I checked and mine is set up with .011 - .050 strings for A to A, and they sound very bright, with plenty of sustain and harmonics.

It is kind of touchy tuning it, but stays in tune well once it's right.
It has a scale length 19", radiused fretboard and nut width around 1.80".

Now my questions:
I read that Tacoma guitars started in 1997 with the Papoose and grew to be one of the larger US guitar makers. I think of 1997 pre-dating the ukulele revival, and I think this level of ukulele interest would bring an increased market of uke players looking to try something just like the Papoose or other uke-tars or guileles.

I am surprised that it would be successful in 1997 but not worthy of continued production in the current market.

Does anyone have an insight as to when and why the Papoose was discontinued?

Did they make them overseas after Fender purchased Tacoma?

-Vinnie in Juneau

I have a Papoose, and at one time I had the solid body Papoose too but sold it. It's a very cool little guitar and I don't much play it anymore but I did play it a lot. Fender did not seem to continue the Tacoma guitars. I think the Papoose might find a home in the current market, but because of its steel strings it's really a different animal than the Guitalele, which is really pretty much also the same thing as a Requinto with a smaller body.

The Papoose was used more by country music where there was a desire for a jangler higher sound in the mix.

I LOVE my solid cedar topped mahogany Papoose! It is a JEWEL! I love the scale, can't play it for crap but it is a honey and I love the steel string sound. It is my last guitar. I keep hoping s o m e d a y. . .

I wanted the solid body too and tried to snag a couple on eBay but got out bid. I have an older Epiphone Pee Wee which is really pretty decent and so I'm set for 19 inch scale electric too.

Last edited:
I LOVE my solid cedar topped mahogany Papoose! It is a JEWEL! I love the scale, can't play it for crap but it is a honey and I love the steel string sound. It is my last guitar. I keep hoping s o m e d a y. . .

I wanted the solid body too and tried to snag a couple on eBay but got out bid. I have an older Epiphone Pee Wee which is really pretty decent and so I'm set for 19 inch scale electric too.

Don't feel bad about the solid body. I sold mine because it was really not all that. It wasn't the same with the solid body. The acoustic is really sweet.

Not sure if you still checking this thread but you can find out more details about the Papoose on the Tacoma Guitar Forum. It is still active. Very well informed folks there. I bought a Papoose with Rosewood b/s. Love it a lot. I had a pick up put in it and play it live with our band. Gets a lot of attention. My finish on the b/s started to bubble, as is a common problem with Tacoma, but took a putty knife and some scrapers and took the finish off the back and sides and refinished with spray shellac. Looks much better now. It wasn't all that hard to do actually.

Top Bottom