NUD question

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Bought the Koaloha soprano from a fellow UU'er this week> I love KoAloha's! I am sure that you all know what they look like and this one looks new so no need for pics. My question is what strings would you recommend for it? It came with aquilas that sounded ok and tonight I tried living water strings. What do you use on your Koaloha soprano if you have one? If not, what strings do you think would sound good? The person I bought it from said he felt he got "buzzes" with smaller gauge strings so what do you think would sound good??? Thanks for the help

Strings by mail. Willliam King had a set he loved for his sopranos and it used to be listed on his blog, yet his blog exists no more. Pretty sure it was the KF series.

It came with aquilas that sounded ok and tonight I tried living water strings.
Well, which did you prefer? I'm not a big fan of Aquilas on most ukes. To me they sound rather strident and are harsh on the fingers, but some people love them, as they can liven up some ukes. I have them on my concert Fluke and they suit it pretty well.

LWs are fluorocarbons. Haven't tried LWs yet, but really like the sound and tactile feel of fluoros. (Maybe that's because I prefer them on classical guitar.) Worth Browns and Clears, Oasis, Martin and PHD are options.

For plain old nylon, there's always D'Addarios. I think they're what Jake endorses.

Some brands offer multiple guages. There's a lot to try, and only you will be able to judge what suits you best. :)

I just ordered some strings from Elderly and got Worth clears and on the package it says endorsed by Koaloha...also got some Martin Flourocarbons, which I like...haven't tried the Worths yet. Martins are a lot less expensive and probably more available in your local shop. I expect them both to be pretty comparable, just wanted to try the Worths since they seem to be the most recommended string for solid koa ukes. Through Elderly Martins are $4.25, Worths are $12.45, I think, but you get enough for 2 sets. I think Martins are a bargain!

I have a KoAloha pineapple long neck & a KoAlana (KoAloha's import brand) sapele concert. Both these 'ukulele sound best to me using Worth CL strings. I've tried Oasis GPX, Living Water, and even Worth CM. All of these should have sounded pretty good, but didn't to me. Sound is subjective. It was love at first strum for both of these. Only the Worth CLs give me that "first strum" love.

Aquila strings do not sound good to me. They are loud, but I have the sense that I'm hearing the string more than the instrument.

YMMV, but that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

I just ordered some strings from Elderly and got Worth clears and on the package it says endorsed by Koaloha...also got some Martin Flourocarbons, which I like...haven't tried the Worths yet. Martins are a lot less expensive and probably more available in your local shop. I expect them both to be pretty comparable, just wanted to try the Worths since they seem to be the most recommended string for solid koa ukes. Through Elderly Martins are $4.25, Worths are $12.45, I think, but you get enough for 2 sets. I think Martins are a bargain!

Martins are my go to strings for my other 'ukes. My Imua is strung with Orcas strings and sounds wonderful.

Through Elderly Martins are $4.25, Worths are $12.45, I think, but you get enough for 2 sets. I think Martins are a bargain!
Yes, the Worths come in double lengths, as do the Oasis.

I have Martins on my soprano Flea, haven't tried them on any other ukes yet, but they are definitely more available than some others.

I have Living Waters on my Boat Paddle tenor kayak and they sound great. As for the sound on the Koaloha soprano they are pretty blah (to me, on this particular instrument). I was giving this a day to see some recommendations so I can buy a few different sets to see what I like. Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome! :)

bought saverez, worths, and daddairios t2s any recommendation which to try first???

Out of those I would try the Saverez.

Top Bottom